Wolfenstein

Started by deadman1, June 29, 2009, 12:48:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Not sure because it has been a couple of days, and a couple of FC2 sessions ago - I'm planning to go in again this afternoon to see what's up, but I recall talking with a resistance guy in a shop (or something), then I went down and found myself where I am.  I'll report back with a little more accuracy than has been in my weak description so far.  ;)

PZ

This is where I'm stuck - can't seem to find a way out unless there is some kind of secret passage.

[smg id=1439]
[smg id=1437]
[smg id=1438]

Fiach

Ah gotcha, I know that place.

Back up and charge your veil power.

You need to activate your slowdown time power iirc.

You have to time it correctly, look at the crashing walls and slow time, then sprint through them before they close and go squishy on your a$$.

There is a bridge after a bit that collapses, again use the slow power, so you can get across in time. There is also maybe one more where you collect a crystal near the end of that level its on a circular dais, I think you need to activate the power before the roof comes down or something.

IIRC in a room near there, where the guy is explaining the veil power, in the room where he is, is a secret area, I forget precisely where in the room, but use the veil it should be see-able.
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

PZ

Thanks Fiach, that did the trick and I'm on my way.

I must admit that this game is not what I expected - although linear, it is great fun.  In fact, some of the effects are really cool - there is one part where I was in a huge cavern with at least 5 or so different levels all visible.  I shot a guy on one of the top catwalks and he tumbled over the edge just like in the movies, screaming as he fell down.  Also delightful are the different areas you visit - an archaeological dig, a farm, towns, and a huge cavern (so far).  I've equipped myself with a silent sniper, and it is my favorite weapon.

Here are a few screen captures of different aspects of the game:

[smg id=1440]
[smg id=1441]
[smg id=1442]
[smg id=1443]
[smg id=1444]
[smg id=1445]
[smg id=1446]
[smg id=1447]
[smg id=1448]
[smg id=1449]

Fiach

I dunno, snipe rifles are great in a stealth game or in FC2, but in an all out shooter like Wolfy, they feel superfluous, I didnt find them particularly effective personally, there was a level which I had to upgrade to a silent machine gun, but it made no difference to gameplay really.

I was playing Killzone on the PS2, in preparation for Killzone 2 on PS3, it had the worst sniper rifle I have ever used in a game ..... ever! I have heard people defend it and say it provides challenge, but tbh its just crap.

There was a very good sniper duel in Metal Gear Solid on PS1, reminiscent of that WW stalingrad movie with Ed Harris.

Best Sniper rifle was in FC2 though, whats it called AS250 (I think?).

Glad you are having fun mate, sometimes I feel a bit guilty if I recommend something and then someone doesnt like it, so thanks for sparing my feelings :)

I never got to finish Wolfy, traded it in for Batman (big mistake), but I'll pick it up from a bargain bin down the road sometime :)

fragger

I just ordered this from ebay Australia, really looking forward to trying it out in a few days. This thread is getting my enthusiasm up, I have a feeling that what I've been reading here will really help. Cheers, guys!
I'll throw in my two cents' worth once I get it and play it a bit. Looks great from PZ's cool screenpics.
I wouldn't want to meet that skeletal-looking Nazi in a dark alley - or anywhere else :o

spaceboy

Quote from: Fiach on September 21, 2009, 12:01:35 AM
I was playing Killzone on the PS2, in preparation for Killzone 2 on PS3, it had the worst sniper rifle I have ever used in a game ..... ever! I have heard people defend it and say it provides challenge, but tbh its just crap.

I never got to finish Wolfy, traded it in for Batman (big mistake), but I'll pick it up from a bargain bin down the road sometime :)

I never played the original Killzone but I've played K2, which I really enjoyed.  However the sniper rifle in K2 apparently utilizes the Sixaxis motion sensor so you have to steady the controller when shooting (I didn't know this of course when I was playing and couldn't hit a damn thing with it).  It didn't matter much though really cause like you say snipers are only good when stealth is an option and K2 didn't provide too much stealth play - just intense combat mostly.

I didn't hear you picked up Arkham Asylum - so you're not liking it?  Sorry if my enjoyment with it led to your purchase.  I guess it's hard to say if I'd enjoy it as much if I hadn't been sharing the experience with my son - but I do find the melee quite fun and overall I've been happy with the gameplay.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Fiach

Well if it uses the 6 axis I guess I wont be using it, sounds a bit like the PS2, it wobbled all over the place, unfortunately there were areas where you had to use it to progress.

As rtegards Batman, no mate it wasnt you that made me buy it, I thought the demo sucked, so asked a few people that had the full game, they said it was awesome and the demo wasnt representative at all.

Well the game was getting 9.5/10 scores, so I bought it and hated it.

If you compare it with any "proper" 9.5 game, it doesnt stand up.

Stealth ... nowhere near the same class as Thief, Metal Gear Solid or Splinter Cell. Aircon vents get really old really fast, pressing RB a few times to get out of trouble is a joke.

Detecive mode, that is just such a LOL, you dont detect, you press a button that highlights where to go, unlike say Condemned, where you had to analyse the data.

Combat, well just about everything surpasses it IMO, but just to take a free roam combat game like Ninja Gaiden and compare it, Ryu must be rolling around his dojo laughing his a$$ off.

Environment/Graphics, does not in anyway stand near Bioshock, a game to which it has frequently been compared.

I felt suckered into buying it by the BS reviews tbh, at most to me a 7/10, maybe 8/10 for fans.

PZ

I agree about the sniper, but it is great fun when playing in God mode and you need not worry about being gunned down by the pesky machine gunners.  The silencer really works though, because I have been able to snipe people without alerting others.

It is interesting to see how the game treats damage.  I've shot at people through windows, which shatter as the guy falls to the floor bleeding.  You can sometimes shoot the helmet off a soldier and he survives while at other times the bullet pierces the helmet and kills him.  That seems to be related to the weapon you're using and/or perhaps the angle the bullet hits the helmet.  Use a large caliber weapon and you can separate limbs from their bodies.  Interestingly, if you have a dead guy at your feet and keep shooting at him, the damage increases.

You can shoot many of the items in the game like bottles, can, candles (and the pumpkins in one of the screenies).  Interestingly, I shot the windshield out of a truck (which shattered nicely), but I could not kill the driver - he just sat there (This was in front of the farm house).  Shooting at a wheelbarrow produced great bullet strike sounds, as do other objects.  In fact, it is fun to hear the sounds of the munitions.  (I turned off the music - was too head-banging for me.)

I'd not worry too much about recommending a game and people not liking it, Fiach - all we can do is give our opinions and let individuals make the decision.  I've enjoyed your reviews and still remember your old signature!

PZ

Quote from: fragger on September 21, 2009, 02:01:58 AM
... I'll throw in my two cents' worth once I get it and play it a bit. I wouldn't want to meet that skeletal-looking Nazi in a dark alley - or anywhere else :o

While I typically don't like the super weapons and monsters in a game (that is why I like FC2 so much) this one does them quite well.  There are some interesting foes (don't read further if you want to be surprised):

• Bald-headed monk-appearing guys that perform a teleportation-like movement (reminiscent of an evil ruler in a Vin Diesel movie that I can't remember the name of) and have a blue protective shield around them.  It is relatively easy to take them out with a head shot with a sniper because he has to drop his shield before he throws some kind of energy ball at you.
  • Super soldiers wearing some kind of super armor and carrying a weapon that looks kind of like a minigun, but fires energy bolts.  The veil reveals that they have energy packs on their shoulders and back.  Take them out and he will explode.
  • Mutants that scurry about very rapidly like dogs - scared the heck out of me when one popped up from a floor grate!  They have razor-sharp claws.
  • Invisible soldiers that wear some kind of gas mask-appearing device.  They wear dark uniforms and have an evil laugh that kind of gets to you when you're playing in the dark - the surround sound seems to w@&k quite well!  These guys move about like the teleport mutant on the X-men movies.
  • I just encountered a large mutant that I can only describe as looking like a cave troll on the Lord of The Rings movies.
Looking forward to your experiences fragger - due to my game play style, I don't collect many things in my trip through the game.

Art Blade

Quote from: PZ on September 21, 2009, 09:06:44 AMreminiscent of an evil ruler in a Vin Diesel movie that I can't remember the name of

The Chronicles Of Riddick (with the Necromonger leader doing that move) I believe that's the one?
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

That's it!  I knew you'd remember Art  :-X

Oh, and another cool feature in the game - I shot a soldier and he fell against a desk, which moved realistically under his weight.  Evidently you can move many of the things in the game, unlike others in which it is like hitting a brick wall when you run into a desk.

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Fiach

Quote from: PZ on September 21, 2009, 08:38:47 AM

I'd not worry too much about recommending a game and people not liking it, Fiach - all we can do is give our opinions and let individuals make the decision.  I've enjoyed your reviews and still remember your old signature!

Yeah lol :)

Currently I'm playing a JRPG called The Last Remnant, I was talking to a mate of mine about it, we both think its an awesome game, but we would NEVER recommend it to anybody else, because we know that nine times out of ten, they wouldnt like it, it's hard, its counter-intuitive, simple to play, hard to master, but you need to master it to just progress the story, but I'll never review in here or anywhere else, its not worth the guilt trip LOL  :)

Art Blade

I always enjoy reading any recommendations here at OWG. No one makes anyone buy anything here, so no worries :)

PZ

Same goes for me - I don't hesitate writing because I expect people to look at the review with skepticism, at least initially.  For the long term members that visit OWG, we begin to sense each others tastes in games, which then might tip the scale in one direction of another.  Like Art, I enjoy reading everyones experiences in games regardless if I plan on making the purchase.  It is just enjouable reading the adventures, and once in a while I'm inspired to get the game, especially if the price is right!  ;)

I say go ahead and report any experience you have because it is additional information, all info is valuable when making the decision.  ... and ultimately, it is just a game after all!  ;D

Fiach

Just a game????

What heresy is this???  :'( :-[ :P

Art Blade

PZ

... sorry... don't know what came over me... ;)

retiredgord

Is Wolfenstein a Single Player game? I'd like to try it but not as a MP game until later when my skills are more honed.
The sun is over the yardarm somewhere in the world..time for a beer :)  :)

PZ

Yes it is else I'd probably not be playing it - I'm not too good either when it comes to MP.  ;D

PZ

**DEFINITE SPOILER**

Well, I was stuck at a point in the game where I was to destroy a Nazi machine that teleports (or something like that) an SS officer throws a scientist into the machine.  The scientist comes back a moment later as a huge cave troll and dismembers the officer, then turns his attention to me.  I shot at him with everything I have and nothing phased him.  It turns out that I needed to stand so that the support posts of the machine were between me and him so that he crashed into them, which caused failure of the machine.  Kind of cool that you need to discover different ways of accomplishing tasks.  :-X

Fiach

Yeah, tbh thats a pretty old device, i remember using it in Xena on PS2 back in the day, its been used in other games like Conan, Tomb Raider, Too Human etc. with slight variations as well.

You are gonna have fun with the next boss LOL :)

Dweller_Benthos

Like in that Jedi game, forget the name, where you fight the bad guy in the temple at the end, and you can either use your light saber and battle him for a long time, or maneuver him until he's near one of the big columns and use your light saber on it and it falls on him. hahahahahaha
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

Working my way through Wolfenstein, I've come to appreciate the game much more than COD5 even though it is similar in nature.  What is kind of nice about Wolfenstein is that you receive a list of missions and you can change the order in which you do them.  Because you're given a map, you can also go through town and do other things in a more open world nature, and find objects, etc.  The bottom line - not nearly as linear feeling as COD5.  Here are a few more screen captures:

The detail on these officers is nice
[smg id=1459]
The towns are also nicely detailed, and attractive to walk through
[smg id=1460]
The next three pics demonstrate the strength of the upgraded K98 rifle.  I upgraded it with a silencer, scope, and big bore kit.  As you can see from the screen cap series, when you shoot at a limb, it takes it off.
[smg id=1461]
[smg id=1462]
[smg id=1466]
This poor damsel was evidently the victim of a Nazi occult ritual.  She was dead when I arrived on the scene.  However, I have seen gals like this in the bedrooms of the German officers homes.  They cower in fear when the shooting starts.
[smg id=1465]
This was the first female opponent I encountered - she had deadly fingernails.
[smg id=1463]
[smg id=1467]
[smg id=1464]

Tags:
🡱 🡳