Call of Duty 5 - World at War

Started by PZ, June 17, 2009, 05:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

I just finished playing an hour or so of COD5 and captured a few images - low resolution - the in game is much nicer:

Berlin in 1944 is a ruined city
[smg id=819]
As a sniper, you have unlimited number of victims, they are so numerous.  Notice that you need to hold the shift key to steady your aim, else your heartbeat will interfere with the shot.
[smg id=818]
Of course, a flame thrower is an awesome weapon
[smg id=816]
... as is attested to by these victims
[smg id=817]
I wonder what this place looked like under better circumstances...
[smg id=815]

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah, I think I'll pick this up finally. Just got a $5 coupon from Best Buy so I'll use it towrds that. Funny thing, back in December I was out to buy a game, either FC2 or COD5. Best Buy had COD5 but I couldn't find FC2, I wanted to compare prices. Asked a guy and he went in the back and got me a copy of FC2, so that was the one I got, price was the same. The rest, as they say, is history.

Just my luck, now when I go to pick it up, they won't have a copy.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

I don't think big games such as CoD series vanish from the shops easily. I can still buy CoD4 and even CoD2 in some shops :) Good luck, D_B
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Here are a couple more fighting the Japanese on a South Pacific island.  The lighting at night is spectacular and reminds me of the old Howard Hawks John Wayne movie sets (e.g., El Dorado) where everything is well-lit so you can easily see everything.

Check out the hate on this guy's face...
[smg id=828]
On very interesting thing is that the enemy can reacy their gun over the top of cover so that they remain safe
[smg id=829]
... and of course, I couldn't resist: "Blast 'im..."
[smg id=830]

Art Blade

haha, blast him...

You know what's really strange... WWII shooters that play in Germany... we here in Germany never see a single swastika in games like these, but the games are perfectly legal (if the goal of them is not glorification of the third reich, or simply excessive violence [as most certainly Prototype will end up either censored heavily or even banned]). Usually they replace swastikas with something that has the same colours (red, white, and black) or maybe flags show our old Reichsadler (imperial eagle) instead. The swastika is forbidden by law, except when used in any form of art (movies count as such) or shown in a documentary; PC games are not being recognised as one of those.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

spaceboy

That's really interesting Art, I didn't know that...I love the international side of OWG, makes me learn more than just about video games.

As for games being censored, do they really have a "cleaner" version of games?
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Art Blade

Yes. We have some authorities that check if games are suitable or not. If they are, they get rated like "age 6+" up to "18+" or "not rated." If the latter happens, the game is virtually out of the game (market) because it is similar to "18+" which is limiting the number of potential buyers, especially if the game isn't an adult game. It can happen because the game devs/producers are not forced to have it rated by that authority, it's voluntary. Which means, you have to pay a considerable amount of money to have it rated.

So, if a producer sends it in for evaluation, the authorities may tell them "like this it's going to be rated 18" (allowing the producers to reduce level of violence or gore and try again) or "we're going to put it on 'index' (a black list, games on it are not allowed to be advertised or shown in a shelf of a shop, yet they may be sold - problem would be, nobody knows the game exists. Some vendors confuse "indexed" with "banned" which is something else). If a game enters the marked without being rated, at any time any game can be reported to the authorities so they can check if the game is excessively violent, glorifying violence, violating basic rights, racist, nazi, or else. The game may then be rated or indexed or banned entirely.

I've seen games where humanoid opponents had been replaced with robots, and their blood with oil. Another fun game, I forgot the name, got it on my other pc somewhere, is a race game where you crash a lot, like stock car racing etc. It has the drivers replaced with rag dolls used for crash tests, so called dummies (and they even have the marks on their bodies like those crash dummies). In games like FEAR they removed the blood. Often, very common, is deactivating rag doll in games, rendering dead people a block of wood the shape of a body so limbs won't move any more. Also often as in FO3, they disable body parts being shot off (like FC2, the body stays intact even if you blow it up).

Does that answer your questions?  ;D

That's why I try to buy those games outside of Germany.

Dweller_Benthos

Well, i bought the game, but it won't run. Gets to the logo screen a bbbzzzzzziittttttt back to desktop. hmmmm.... patch anyone? lol
D_B

PZ

I had an issue with punkbuster - needed to be installed by one of the modules.  I didn't want to do that so rather than letting autorun start the program, I went to the root and started via the application executable.  Don't know it that will w@&k for you, but it is worth a try.

Art Blade

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on June 22, 2009, 01:04:03 PM
Well, i bought the game, but it won't run. Gets to the logo screen a bbbzzzzzziittttttt back to desktop. hmmmm.... patch anyone? lol

Ah, I hate it when they do that. Quite rare, fortunately. I don't recall having installed patches for CoD5 (have you checked their website yet?) but the first idea that springs to mind is good old vid driver or DirectX issues. DirectX usually isn't problematic in my experience once you got the newest version, but vid drivers can be a royal pain in the back. Hope you get it sorted out, good luck D_B

Dweller_Benthos

Got the latest patches, needed two ~500MB patches (1.2 & 1.4) to get it to run, then, don't you know it? The sound doesn't w@&k. Apparently, a fairly common issue going by the number of google hits for it. Nothing I found applies to my situation, except for maybe new sound card drivers, which I just downloaded, give it another try tonight. Vid card drivers are already up to date, as is Windows update.

Haven't had this much trouble with a game since the DOS days.
D_B

KingRat

Quote from: PZ on June 18, 2009, 05:48:37 PM
Here are a couple more fighting the Japanese on a South Pacific island.  The lighting at night is spectacular and reminds me of the old Howard Hawks John Wayne movie sets (e.g., El Dorado) where everything is well-lit so you can easily see everything.

Check out the hate on this guy's face...
[smg id=828]
On very interesting thing is that the enemy can reacy their gun over the top of cover so that they remain safe
[smg id=829]
... and of course, I couldn't resist: "Blast 'im..."
[smg id=830]

I have this for the 360, had about 10-12 hrs of game play.

That South Pacific Island had to have been either Makin or Tulagi....most likely Carlson's raid on Makin since the Tulagi campaign lasted months..  :D

or I could have read the wiki  :-[
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_of_Duty_5#Plot

PZ

I believe I captured those shots at the beginning of the game, but unfortunately I do not remember what the island was called - I'm sure that you're probably correct.  :-X

KingRat

I watched the movie Gung Ho! with Randolph Scott after I played the game. This was about the Makin Island raid and the game matched up pretty well.

Movie was made in 1943 not long after the raid. I recommend it if you like war flicks... :-X

PZ

I love war movies.  Among my favorites are "Von Ryan's Express" with Frank Sinatra, "The Longest Day" with an all-star cast, and a great one called "The Train" with a young Burt Lancaster.  Oh, and who can forget the old "Combat" series with Vic Morrow.  Other greats include "Tora, Tora, Tora", "Midway", "The Heroes of Telemark", "The Guns of Navarone" and so many more...

KingRat

I watched the complete Combat series last summmer using my Netflix account.

What really blew me away was I recognized some of the areas they were filming at. The apple orchards around Sebastapol and the vineyards at the Korbel winery. Had cousins that lived near Guerneville so we were up there a lot in the summer....

http://www.jodavidsmeyer.com/combat/personnel/korbel-pictures.htm

salute!  :)

Art Blade

You didn't mention Steven Spielberg's mini-series "Band of Brothers" (9.6/10 with 62,455 votes on imdb) and the re-edited film (I think 2.5 hours long) "The Big Red One - The Reconstuction" (1980/2004) with Lee Marvin starring. It's rated not that high (7.3/10 but only 5,798 votes, indicator for "not widely known")

PZ

Great pics of the crew at the Korbel winery, Kingrat - I had no idea.  I purchased the DVD set from amazon.com because they had a killer deal - regular $269 for the complete series on sale for $129.

Oh yeah, how could I forget "Band of Brothers" - the theme for another game I kind of like: "Brothers in Arms: Hells Highway" set in Operation Market Garden!

KingRat

Yeah, Band of Brothers was excellent. I have Dick Winters book Beyond Band of Brothers.....I have all the BiA games also :-X

I like scifi too, and just finished watching the LEXX series  :)

Art Blade

haha, I've got all seasons from Babylon 5 which I loved oh so very much.  :)

KingRat

Quote from: Art Blade on July 01, 2009, 10:15:06 AM
haha, I've got all seasons from Babylon 5 which I loved oh so very much.  :)

Me Too  :) I have everything related to B5 including some of the books...reading The Passing of the Techno-Mages right now :-X

back to the war....The Rat Patrol  :-X :-X to bad Chris George died so young.

Art Blade

PC games, FC2, Movies, Books, Sci-Fi... B5... You would be close to an invitation to discuss all that over dinner, if you were a woman and younger ;D  ;D ;D

PZ

I love the Rat Patrol - purchased the DVD set a year or two ago, but have not had the chance to watch it much.

KingRat

Quote from: Art Blade on July 01, 2009, 12:57:08 PM
PC games, FC2, Movies, Books, Sci-Fi... B5... You would be close to an invitation to discuss all that over dinner, if you were a woman and younger ;D  ;D ;D

LoL  :) a lot younger  ;)

Art Blade

at least I can applaud you to all that  ;) :-X

Tags:
🡱 🡳