Call of Duty 5 - World at War

Started by PZ, June 17, 2009, 05:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hacko

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on June 24, 2009, 06:32:46 AM
Got the latest patches, needed two ~500MB patches (1.2 & 1.4) to get it to run, then, don't you know it? The sound doesn't w@&k. Apparently, a fairly common issue going by the number of google hits for it. Nothing I found applies to my situation, except for maybe new sound card drivers, which I just downloaded, give it another try tonight. Vid card drivers are already up to date, as is Windows update.

Haven't had this much trouble with a game since the DOS days.

I believe I had the same trouble with this game, I am pretty sure it was this game. Here is the solution I had to do to get it to w@&k:

Go into control panel
Then Sound
Then Playback device tab
Choose Playback device (eg. Realtek High Def Audio)
Click Properties
Advanced Tab
Change Default sample rate format to 24 bit, 48000 hz (Studio Quality)

Below is a screenshot of what the panel looks like (In Vista)
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

It took me awhile to find this fix. Like I said, I THINK this is the fix for this game, in my older age, I may be getting it confused with another game. ;D Hopefully this helps. :-X

Art Blade

nice pic  ;D

I think you used that PrntScrn key to capture the entire desktop. If you have one window in focus (speakers properties) and only need that, hit ALT+PrntScrn. Then you'll get a screenshot of only that window resulting in a much smaller pic (also, if you're in the office, you don't reveal your entire desktop) :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Hacko

Quote from: Art Blade on July 02, 2009, 12:49:37 PM
nice pic  ;D

I think you used that PrntScrn key to capture the entire desktop. If you have one window in focus (speakers properties) and only need that, hit ALT+PrntScrn. Then you'll get a screenshot of only that window resulting in a much smaller pic (also, if you're in the office, you don't reveal your entire desktop) :)

Thanks Art, I can never remember that hot key for cropped screenies. :-X

Art Blade

welcome, Hacko :) I remember it so well because my colleagues keep asking me how I did "that small screenshot again" LOL
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah, I saw that fix on the web, but it doesn't apply to win XP. Eventually, re-installing the game and the latest sound card & video drivers fixed it. I've been away for a week's vacation, and honestly, didn't even miss it. I'm somewhere in the middle of the game at this point, don't even really remember.....
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Hacko

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on July 13, 2009, 11:04:24 AM
Yeah, I saw that fix on the web, but it doesn't apply to win XP. Eventually, re-installing the game and the latest sound card & video drivers fixed it. I've been away for a week's vacation, and honestly, didn't even miss it. I'm somewhere in the middle of the game at this point, don't even really remember.....

Glad you got it worked out. The SP is pretty short. Was kinda dissapointed in it, but was fun using the flame thrower and other weapons. Plus playing aganst the Japanese was great too. Banzai!!!!!!!

PZ

While playing the game, press ~ to display the console window. Type "devmap  mak" and press [Enter] to enable cheat mode. Then, type one of the following  codes at the console window and press [Enter] to activate the corresponding  cheat function: 

Result Cheat Code
God modegod
Double health and can survive one grenade explosiondemigod
All weaponsgive all
Infinite amunitionsf_use_ignoreammo 1
No clipping modenoclip
Flight modeufo
Teleport to a nodejumptonode
Disable AInotarget
List mapsmapname
Change mapsmap [map name]
Change maps with cheat mode enableddevmap [map name]
Black and white movie modesf_use_bw 1
Photo negative modesf_use_invert 1
Silent movie modesf_use_chaplin 1
Commit suicidekill
Map names  Use one of the following values with the "map [map name]" if  you don't intend to use cheats or "devmap  [map name]" code if you intend to use the cheats:     
MissionCode
Semper Fimak
Little Resistancepel1
Hard Landingpel2
Vendettasniper
Their Land, Their Bloodsee1
Burn 'Em Outpel1a
Relentlesspel1b
Blood & Ironsee2
Ring Of Steelber1
Evictionber2
Black Catspby_fly
Blowtorch And Corkscrewoki2
Breaking Pointoki3
Heart of the Reichber3
Downfallber3b
Nacht der Untotennazi_zombie_prototype

• Hardcore Team Deathmatch mode: Reach Level 13 to unlock Hardcore Team Deathmatch mode.
  • Veteran mode: Reach Level 32 to unlock Veteran mode, which is a Co-op mode with much  tougher enemies.
  • Zombie mode: Successfully complete Campaign mode to unlock Zombie mode, which is a  four-player Co-op mode against endless waves of Nazi zombies.

Art Blade

thanks for the cheat codes :)

hehe, it is funny to see how you start liking them. Apparently it's D_B, you and me, who really like cheats :) I still try to accomplish games once without any, but then... no stopping me.  ;)

PZ

My pleasure - I like the cheats in all of the games (trainers too), because it lets me get in and go once through to see how it goes.  Especially in games like COD5 where the mission progression is linear, you can skip to maps that you prefer, even if you have not completed the prior ones.  I also like to have my weapons of choice right from the start rather than having to "find" them.  Besides, I suck so bad at shooting, I need all the help I can get!  ;D

Art Blade

hahaha, the only thing important is having fun. If it involves cheats, hell, why not :) I sometimes find games overly hard or partly boring/longbreathed - that's when cheats help. And yes, exploring... remember how D_B got over the barriers in FC2 end game and boldly walked around where no man had ever been before... of course, weapons. Sometimes silly, really, when you get nice weapons about the time the game ends. I too like to start with them, rather than end with them :)

Hacko

Cheats are great in singleplayer, like you guys said. But keep them away from MP games, it ruins them. I know you guys don't use them, but it is frustrating playing with people who use them online.

I was accused of cheating on a FC2 MP server last night while playing. I was hiding in a building, sniping people, and an enemy saw me and came in the building. He shot at me with his automatic weapon, I shot at him with my pistol. Neither one of us died, and he left the building to reload. He then accused me of cheating through the in-game chat menu. He said he shot me a few hundred times. As I was replying, he came back in and stabbed me with the machette. I told him, see I can die, now stop accusing me of cheating, and shoot better next time. I then called him an asshat and logged off.

The point to this long story is cheating in multiplayer ruins the experience. The people who use them make playing the game unfair and boring. And the users like me who don't cheat, get accused of cheating when playing well or not dying because the other guy thought he killed me.

I also get accused of cheating alot in online games because of my nickname....Hacko. It's based on my real last name, not because I am hacking. What dumb hacker would deliberately have the name Hack in his nickname. :D

Anywho....cheats in singleplayer are great. ;D

Art Blade

I know exactly what you mean. I never ever cheat during MP. But I'm so fed up with MP and being called a cheater, bot, hax0r, noob etc that I basically quit MP. Bloody stupid kids. They probably can't imagine someone being actually good because they know about cheats (probably already using them or would like to if they knew how to). And what you experienced there (forcing you to chat and then take advantage of that, stabbing you) really is one of the lowest and cheapest behaviours I ever heard of. Incredible.

PZ

What you two said is exactly what I've read about on all forums.  If you are good, you're a cheater.  If you're new to the game then you're a "noob".  On either end of the spectrum, it is not much fun.

Hacko, have you tried DKM2's FC2 MP server?  He reports that it seems to be populated with a reasonable sort.

Hacko

Quote from: PZ on August 02, 2009, 12:32:36 PM
What you two said is exactly what I've read about on all forums.  If you are good, you're a cheater.  If you're new to the game then you're a "noob".  On either end of the spectrum, it is not much fun.

Hacko, have you tried DKM2's FC2 MP server?  He reports that it seems to be populated with a reasonable sort.

Yes, I have tried his server a few times, and it is my first choice of the servers. When I got on last night, it was pretty late (10 pm pacific) and no one was on that server, so I tried another public player server.

Art Blade

PZ, your logic is right, assuming you'd only be called "noob" (newbie) if you are behaving like a beginner. As if it isn't bad enough to be called noob when you are new, the term has become a general insult. So, if you do something that annoys one of those kids, like winning, they'd call you a noob, too. Or if you are good so they assume you cheat, which also is "noob." What I hate if some kids manage to once in a lifetime shoot you and then call it "pwnage" or "pwned." That term originates from Ownage/to Own, and it simply was a typo... P is right next to O... but it became 1337 to use that expression. 1337 (pronounced leet) comes from elite. Now, when you simply want to play, and are good at it, it is really a mess with those kids on a server, full of newspeak and crap, and insults and cheats... bah.

So, it sure is a great job of DKM2 keeping his server in shape  :-X

PZ

Well the funny thing is that I was playing MP some time ago just to experience it and had no idea what the terms you just mentioned meant.  Playing in ignorant bliss, I guess.  In any case, what some youngster who likely doesn't even have a drivers license "thinks" (if you can call what they do thinking) is entirely inconsequential to me.  ;)

PS: thanks for the definitions - I always wondered how those terms originated, and likely the pwnage misspelling is from one of those genius kids  ;D

Hacko

Here is a little cartoon movie about some of those immature gamers. It is real funny. ;D

http://www.pwned.nl/

;D

PZ

hahaha, good one Hacko - there is justice sometimes - the would-be hacker received his just desserts.

That kid kind of reminded me of Eddie Haskell (whenever he was not within ear-shot of parents)

fragger

Speaking of cheats, there's a funny easter egg at the start of the Peleliu Island mission in CoD5 SP (On PC, don't know if it works on consoles):
Once you've gotten ashore after calling in the rocket barrage, head to the end of the beach to your right. You'll find a shell crater full of water. Starting from the right edge of the crater (looking from the sea), walk through it towards the other end of the beach. Keep going, you'll find two more small craters as you progress along the beach, one with water, one is dry. Walk through both of these. Keep going, but angle back towards the sea, and you'll find one more water-filled crater at the end of the beach near the water.  When you reach this one, just keep standing in it. After about 10-15 seconds, the screen will shake, a weird god-like voice pipes up, and a bunch of stone idols will rear up out of the sand. Walk up to any of them, and you'll get a bonus - a Flash Gordon-style ray gun! You can only keep it for that mission, and it will run out of "ammo" after a while if you keep using it - but it's fun, and it makes a great sound!  :)

JRD

Quote from: Hacko on August 02, 2009, 05:54:24 PM
Here is a little cartoon movie about some of those immature gamers. It is real funny. ;D

http://www.pwned.nl/

;D

Man... the ending is just scarry... disturbing  :D
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

Great Easter egg story fragger - I still play COD5 on occasion, and I'll load up that mission to give it a try  :-X

Dweller_Benthos

That does sound like a cool easter egg, I'll have to try that as well. I just finished the game last night and all I can say is I finished it. Wasn't bad, but wasn't really good either. The Nazi Zombie levels are fun though, and more fun I'm sure in coop mode if it supports that, since it's kinda tough by yourself. Can't get more than four rounds before I die.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

Quote from: JRD on August 03, 2009, 07:33:47 AMMan... the ending is just scarry... disturbing  :D

Agree... kind of totally insane, the entire vid for my taste.

retiredgord

Well that was a very interesting start. The game is kinda like Medal of Honor, somewhat linear but still is enjoyable. I guess it's based somehat on the war as actually happened. Anyway I found the hardest part was the part against the Japanese when you have to take out the bunker by calling in a rocket strike. Got to push up daisies there quite a few times. I got thru the Russian intro to sniping..that was interesting. Got a good head shot about the 5th try.  The board I left off on today was about the capture of the airfield and the follow-up at holding against the Japanese troops. It was cool. I've got two trophies so far. I'm looking forward to completing the game and then starting back in on FC2.
The sun is over the yardarm somewhere in the world..time for a beer :)  :)

Art Blade

I put your post here, Gord, since we already had a similar topic (this one) :)

Tags:
🡱 🡳