Farcry 3

Started by Phil-318, June 05, 2009, 02:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KillerZ

Do you think the devs actually read this stuff?

PZ

I seriously doubt it, but who knows! - think what a fantastic game we'd have if they did.

DKM2

Maybe not the Dev's directly, but Community Managers file weekly reports on activity.
(not bad $$$ too, I've seen job ad's for like 80K.)
A few of us have posted help links to here on their site a few times.
I'm sure at least once they'd have shown up and poked around, and
make sure we're not doing anything nasty with their product.   ;D
"A living thing seeks above all to discharge its strength--life itself is will to power..."

JRD

Quote from: DKM2 on July 27, 2009, 01:44:51 PM
(not bad $$$ too, I've seen job ad's for like 80K.)

80k? 80.000? US or Canadian cash? A year?
Send me the link and I'm pissing on my boss's desk right away  ;D

I can do it from home AND have a better job here, like selling coconut water on Ipanema when I'm in the mood  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

lol, incredible, isn't it? People getting payed for surfing game sites.  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

DKM2

I was checking it out a few months, yeah 80,000/yr, seemed the basic rate of a few I seen.

Full IT degree with BA type positions, so it involves more than just banning punks.    :)
"A living thing seeks above all to discharge its strength--life itself is will to power..."

JRD

<sigh>... back to the drawing board  :(
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

Quote from: DKM2 on July 27, 2009, 02:02:20 PMit involves more than just banning punks.    :)

LOL  :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

spaceboy

Quote from: JRD on July 27, 2009, 01:54:49 PM

Send me the link and I'm pissing on my boss's desk right away  ;D

That's the funniest thing I've heard all day!  Thanks JRD. 
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Art Blade

lol spaceboy :) I hope he doesn't really give you ideas!  ;D

fragger

There are some really cool ideas here, especially like the concept of teaming up with a buddy to drive and shoot in a vehicle. An Australian locale and use of boomerangs would really appeal to me (for obvious reasons). There are no revolution-torn regions in this country, but I'm sure that something could be arranged, considering our politicians...
I used to like the way you could throw rocks in FC1 to distract the bad guys, I sort of miss that, as well as being able to switch between full-auto and semi with certain weapons.
Really like Ricamundo's idea about more animals – it'd be quite interesting to bail out of a car, only to find yourself in the company of a pride of lions!
Also like ArtBlade's suggestion about co-op – now that's something that'd really rock, especially across platforms. Also totally agree with him about monsters and mutants – no thanks! Keep it realistic.
I know it's easy for us all to say what we'd like to see, we don't have to develop it. But if the devs could implement some of the ideas that have been put forward here, I believe they would have one s**t-hot game to sell.

Art Blade

Thanks fragger, one thing I'd like to clarify though -- I didn't come up with co-op, it was PZ ;)

Quote from: PZ on June 05, 2009, 09:09:13 PM
  • By all means, cooperative play!

fragger

Oops - sorry, PZ!  :-[

Art Blade

Ahhh it wasn't meant like that fragger. Chillax - you had to read a lot, so no worries :) I only did it to be fair ;)

fragger

Cheers!
"Chillax" - love that word!

RedRaven

teaming up and racing round shooting people is what we all need. not even sure f MP ARMA2 goes that far in its Co-op online side (should do tho). But that kind of working / playing together would also be perfect in APOKOLYPSOS that Soulfallen told us about, ! you should check out the post fraggle if you have not done so yet, its in Off Topic  :-X
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Art Blade

I've moved the Chillax and dog food posts as a new topic to Off topic here, fun, but waaay off topic  ;D

iGame3D

Not sure if you noticed, but the blade Jackal sticks into the wall at the start of the game is actually a standard combat knife. While we lay there sick we are holding our machete against our chest. When we pull the combat knife from the wall it magically turns into a machete.

But the combat knife got me thinking...a throwable combat knife we can stick a guy with silently from about six feet away, then yank out of him or pick up other knives just like we pick up new weapons.
Would be groovy.

It sure is a bummer about not having true stealth ability.
Although I did sneak up on the Ranger Station once, kill the radio censor, grab the diamond and get about 99% out of the place before being spotted, took a few hits but didn't even have to fight anyone or use a syrette. Wasn't that lucky this morning though.

Art Blade

Throwable knifes, as in Assassin's Creed, cool idea :) Yank them out for later use (recycle), even better :)  :-X

PZ

Excellent - your observational skills are a great addition to our posts.

Keep at the stealthy approaches - many times I've been able to sneak into an area to retrieve something (or kill someone) and have escaped completely without notice.  Areas that are easy to do this:

• Rail yard in Leboa - kill the sniper on the slanted roof (no one will notice) and then sneak down to retrieve Michele's documents (or even destroy the tank car)
  • PetroSahel - sneak onto the hill northeast of the area and get the sniper on the eastern storage tank)  then sneak in through the hole in the metal fence.  You can get one of the Predecessor tapes in the storage container without being seen
  • Fort - I always approach via the foot path from the northeast - make your way to the fort's back entrance.  If you can kill the guards on the outside, you can sneak in to do your dirty w@&k.  I've done both the mission to retrieve documents, and to kill the king without being observed.  You can also get the Predecessor tape here when it is available.
  • The brewery in Bowa - take the boat from Mike's and hug the southern shore.  Beach it in the inlet east of the brewery and then walk into the area from the south.  I've managed to free a buddy and do various other missions to the main house all without being discovered.
There are other places you can do this with as well, but these serve to illustrate the concept.  I've found that the key to my success is to carry the 6P9 (I can see much better without having my view obstructed by a large weapon) and move fast - trying to sneak in slowly almost always leads to discovery.  Never stay in one place too long, and do single head shot kills with the silent pistol if need be.  In fact, my experience has been that if I move quickly I can do most anything easily, but slow down and quite often I'm discovered.

fragger

What I'd really like to see in our hypothetical FC3 is a different endgame of some sort, one that doesn't have such a confined and linear feel to it after having hours and hours of wonderful open-world freedom to play around in. I've actually never been very crazy about the end sequence, it's actually my least favourite part of the game. Don't get me wrong, I don't not like it, I just like it less than the rest. It'd be cool if "they" could come up with some sort of finale that's in keeping with the open-world concept of the game, I'm sure there must be some way of doing it.

iGame3D

Thanks for the 'keep moving tip', normally I go at a snails pace, thinking slow and easy wins the race, but nope, hustling butt brings the luck!

Managed to sneak from the mine, through the pipeline, through the pipeline company, into the brewery without anyone noticing, passing about five river boats at close range without issue. Then stuck my head around the corner of a wall at the Brewery, four guys by an ATV notice that at once. Well, thump, boom, they are done for. I scoot the other way around the wall and find a totally unguarded back door, just as the mortars come pounding down, DOH!
Almost a perfect stealth mission. The house is mortar proof, and the brewery boys forgot their flame retardant gear.

Back on topic. Every once in a while when I'm wandering at night, I think, wouldn't it be awesome if Far Cry had the occasional road or field ghost? If some whisper thin mist of an entity flitted at the corner of your vision, or stood glaring at you in the middle of the road, wouldn't you just crap yourself? Not in a Fear 2 "ok now you're annoying me" way, but a "oh damn, I think I saw a ghost". Also the random abandoned house with some spooky noise, a light that goes out when you approach, or a door that slams when you enter.
Damn that would make this all the more intense.

Sometimes while driving, I get bumped sideways into a turn by what seems nothing at all, the controller rattles, and it's just got that "poltergeist" feel to it. The ghosts of mercs I've murdered are haunting me?

Art Blade

no, that's just a one-second-nap behind the wheel.

mmosu

Ok, I've been away from the board for awhile and was very pleased when I returned to see people are still talking about this. I was thinking about the location issue for the next game, tell me what you all think:  I vote for somewhere cold. 
Some of you are already rolling your eyes but take a minute to think about what it could mean -  Surviving/finding shelter in white-out blizzard conditions, gunshots that trigger avalanches, managing supplies so that they don't get frozen (if I can take a page from metal gear solid ;)), taking steps at preventing hypothermia,tracking/being tracked by footprints or bloodtrails in the snow, you could go on and on. I think the key to achieving good emmersion for one of these games is to create a brutal environment, one that the player must battle along with the enemies. I think a cold environment fits the bill and is a nice departure from the previous games (or most other games in the genre for that matter).
It could be easily placed in one of these tiny, no-name countries that split off from the USSR. It seems like many of these countries change their name/government every other month, so it would be easy for the devs to come up with a believable story involving a power-grab between two or more factions in some nameless, God-forsaken hole where the rest of the world can conveniently just turn a blind eye. That being said, the mix of environments could range from open tall-pine forests in the low altitude areas (less snow, still cold) to icy peaks up in the mountains (life-threatening and rapidly shifting weather conditions). Could also w@&k in more of these "big animal" situations some of you have been talking about - imagine scouting out for some cover and coming face to face with an nine foot tall Siberian bear! Many of the other ideas we've already been talking about could be worked in as well. Anyway that's my big idea . . .

PZ

Interesting ideas and quite a departure from FC2.  Although I recall that FC1 was quite different from FC2 as well.  I like your ideas, and if I had my way, I'd have a world in which you go to different places and experience different environments.  Perhaps a hot one like FC2 and a cold one like you mention.  Totally different game play dependent on the environment - probably too much to ask though!

Tags:
🡱 🡳