A couple new games......

Started by Dweller_Benthos, May 22, 2009, 09:00:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dweller_Benthos

Damnation, a third-person open world, here's a brief description:

Attempting to "change the landscape of third person action/shooters forever" Damnation is combining the usual frantic shootouts with open environments and breathtaking acrobatics.

Sounds cool, except for that third person thing.

Necrovision, first person, but doesn't seem to be open world:

NecroVision is a first-person shooter that takes gamers across the frantic battlegrounds of World War I and into a dark underworld of vampires, demons and dark magic.

Seeking adventure, young American Simon Bukner joins the British army in war-torn Europe of 1916. During a particularly ferocious battle, Bukner and his battalion are pushed into a series of dark trenches where they encounter mysterious phenomenon. As they move through the labyrinth they discover that there is a greater evil hiding underneath the battle-fields of the Great War — an evil that is forcing its way into our world and threatens to wipe out humanity. In the depths of this newly discovered underworld, Bukner must confront the dark forces and fight for the survival of mankind.

or, trying to beat the new Wolfenstein to the punch, only WWI instead of WWII. I'm grabbing the demo now.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

spaceboy

Damnation was on on my "maybe" list and still is (but not enough time).  It definitely seems different, kind of a spaceage/cowboy thing.  It definitely deserves to be checked out, I was not aware it was open world though, that makes it a bit more intriguing.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

JRD

I got it from gamespot.com

"Damnation is a shooter that imagines what it would be like if the American Civil War extended well into the 20th century. You play as Hamilton Rourke, leader of a group of rebels fighting against a powerful industrialist named Prescott, a man who commands an army of mercenaries equipped with technology well ahead of its time.
We had the opportunity to see a demo of Damnation's introductory level, which eases you into the gameplay mechanics with a few tutorials. The first thing that becomes apparent is that Damnation isn't a pure shooter. Like Tomb Raider and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, it combines gun combat with liberal amounts of platforming. Just as often as you mow down waves of enemies, you'll be shimmying along ledges and leaping over gaps."

So it's Lara Croft meets the McCall bros.  :)

If it has that plattforming aspect it may be why they set it as 3rd person view, like Tomb Rider and Assassins Creed.
Except for Mirror's Edge, I can't remember any plattform game in 1st person view. Maybe players get motion sick doing all those jumps and rolling over the other side of the ledge with ME's character Faith, so devs thought it wouldn't be appealing...
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Dweller_Benthos

For some reason, I just can't get into third person games. The only one I ever finished was Heavy Metal FAKK 2 and I think you could switch that one to first person when you wanted to. I have the first three Tomb Raider games, never finished any of them. Jedi Knight was another one that you could switch, third person when using the light saber, but first while doing shooting. Don't know why more games don't do that, it's not like it's that hard.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

I'm with you on that, D_B... can't bloody get used to 3rd person. The only game I remember I accepted it was MassEffect.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

Well, I can name a few great (in my opinion, of course) 3rd person games
- GTA series
- Tomb Raider
- Max Payne
- Assassins Creed (not so great, but whatever)  ;D
I like to see my character sometimes. Of course, 1st person is more immersive, but I love both types of views

DKM2

No RTS fans, like Sins of a Solar Empire or Supreme Commander?
"A living thing seeks above all to discharge its strength--life itself is will to power..."

JRD

Sim city (strategy?), Age of Empires series and Star Wars Gallactic Battle Grounds were just great... but for some reason I never played any other RTS after those.

Guess I must revisit the genre someday  ;)

Art Blade

Assassin's creed... forgot about that one, yeah. was cool for the time being :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Fiach

Damnation is getting pretty bad reviews, graphics and combat suck apparently.

Heavy Metal FAKK2, gosh thats an old one! Looking at the box right now, that was a great game, with melee and ranged combat, wasnt there a chainsaw in it too?

Will have to play that again :)

TP and FP are cool with me I like both tbh.

A great TP game was The Suffering 1 and 2.

That Necrovision looks interesting, my gripe wpuld be WWI weapons, I hated CoD WaW because of the crap weapons, I never knew what I was picking up until I fired it.
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

RedRaven

Star Wars Gallactic Battle Grounds was fantastic fun, nothing special in the graphics area but it more than made up for it with its playability and huge variety of maps/units/upgrades. (massive star wars fan ;D)
Master Jedi`s rampaging on mass and turning all enemy to your side was cool.
RTS i recommend for in-depth tactics is Rome Total War, really good game, makes you stop and think carefully about each move (military & political & financial tactics all come into play) but that makes it slow going, good for change of pace to FPS. (all the total war series are pretty good, Shogan is simplest, prefered Rome over the Medieval ones tho)

after mentioning them other day going to have to dig out X2/3 and pretend its Elite again (good to chillax whilst cruising thru the stars) 8)

only other FPS got any experience playing is Stalker (S.O.C. & ClearSky) tho found clearsky to be bit dissappointing. S.O.C and the total conversion mods available are what got me into FPS genre games.  ;D
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Tags:
🡱 🡳