Bowa-Seko airfield attack...

Started by PZ, May 21, 2009, 06:54:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Just for fun, I tried to fight my way through the airfield on my way back to Port Selao from a mission - used the foot path from the east.  Typically I snipe the mortar merc on the east side and the sniper on the south side of the field.  Today was a bit unusual - After sniping the Dragunov merc, the merc that typically equips the mortar started throwing RPGs my way (am I mistaken that this guy usually carries a mortar?).

To make matters worse, a second sniper standing in front of the large hangar started hitting me (never had a second sniper before) - took him out and headed toward the airfield to mop things up when surprise of all surprises, a merc manned the stationary GL near the GL truck and tossed 4-5 grenades my way in quick succession!  Never had this happen before either - killed me of course, but a buddy rescued me - told me to heal myself and to be careful because there is an RPG guy (yeah, fight, I thought... I already got him).  I hopped into the GL truck and headed toward the north exit when indeed, another RPG merc was waiting for me - he missed and I raced out of there as fast as I could.  In summary, this is the first time I've encountered 2 snipers, 2 RPG mercs, and was attacked by the mounted GL - nearly didn't make it out alive...

JRD

I think I saw a bunch of mercs in the corner wispering to each other
"- Now, when he comes in, you and you get the RPGs and blast him, you and you snipe the ba$t@rd and I'll man the GL... he won't make it alive this time (evil laugh) huahuahuahuahuahuahuahuahuahahauhsuhsfgbgh"  ;D ;D
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

hahaha, very nice story :)  :-X

Those mercs are sometimes up for surprises. They even grabbed MY CAR and chased me with it! Couldn't shoot my own car, obviously, but punished each and everyone that touched it  ;D

I think what you experienced is called "fuzzy logic" where they act on events you created. That is the light moment when I call it AI rather than AD.

When I read your first post I was surprised you talked about a mortar, I think I've never seen a mortar there on the airfield. But, I noticed that some guard posts, that used to use RPGs, change their RPG to Carl G Rocket Launchers. I think that has to do with your advancement in your own weapons available. In early stages they don't use SAWs either, but after some time in the game you happen upon mercs equipped with SAWs.

You have probably experienced everything at once there... wow :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Sounds like an excellent explanation, thanks, and it sure does make for some exciting game play.  This also would explain why sometimes the barge mission is exceedingly difficult while at other times, easy as pie.

As to the mortar merc - either the Leboa or the Bowa airfield is where I've relatively regularly encountered him - just can't exactly recall now, but one of them for sure.

Art Blade

I remember the Bowa airfield, the few times I was there I took out RPG mercs. Maybe if there was a mortar, he was shot before ever using it. Also, those mercs equipped with long range weapons cease using them once you approach them. They don't seem to like the idea of taking themselves out, so they switch to side arms, such as MAC10 or the like.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

retiredgord

You can accesss the Airfield from the gap near the middle south of the map.  The gap is big enough to drive an Assault Truck up so you have good back-up.  Also if you stay close to the left wall  and observe you may be able to take out the RPG/Mortar guy first. Then the guy in the twoer is merc meat for you. This is another one of my fave spots.
The sun is over the yardarm somewhere in the world..time for a beer :)  :)

Art Blade

you guys make it sound like a different place... I'm going there now I'm too curious :)

Art Blade

Alright, back. I never knew what you described, retiredgord (and PZ, too), the back entrance :)

Here is what happened.

I'm early in Bowa, not taken on any missions but arms dealer's ones on this 3rd through. I only returned from holidays in Leboa so I could take a look at the Bowa Airfield. Made a quick stop at the arms dealer to get fully equipped, passed a guard post (not much of resistance due to my GL truck), drove through Sefapane, accidently running over a merc there. Didn't waste time and vanished. Took the road along the railway to get to Port Selao, a couple of shenanigans with stray patrols and cheeky guard posts sweetened my journey.

Exit Selao, enter Airfield... damn, where is retiredgord's secret passage? Drove along the lake, happened upon the .50 truck, always examining the rock walls for a hole to slip through. Nothing. To cheer me up, drove further until met our friend the Datsun Dummy near Marina. Passed the Underground House and ran over a goat. Met the Datsun and had him chase me, so I could practice PZ's fun routine and lured him into ramming my truck from behind, me braking hard, him swearing at white smoke. Shot him. The .50 Patrol had resurrection abilities and showed up again, blasted them. Passed the Underground house again, and ran over the dead goat for fun.

Passed the road crossing to take the street behind the Airfield. Another couple of volunteers for my grenade truck firepower later I found the entrance. Retiredgord, the cheeky ba$t@rd was right... I slipped in and mapped the area. To my surprise the Gren Truck wasn't there, only the GL below the sniper tower. They spotted me and opened fire. I took out a couple of mercs, looking for any mortar guy. Got surpised by an explosion on the other side of the runway, something had hit the trees, sounded like a RPG. Found a Carl G merc who had tried to make fun out of himself, and counted two .50 assault trucks.

I left the Airfield, did the same trip as before to fool around with the Datsun Dummy who this time escaped into the forest, on foot. Couldn't have him do that, so sent a couple of 6P9 air mails after him, to clarify. Time enough for the Airfield to recover, so back again, this time through the "main" entrance. Same as before, only found two Dragunov snipers, as PZ had mentioned before. No mortar though, and still no GL truck.

I think the Airfield has its own loadout depending on how far advanced the player is during game play.

PZ

Great story Art - I agree about the load out at the airfield, although I could swear that I was hit very early on in the game by a mortar.  I recall ducking into the hangars to avoid the whistles.

The secret passage is through the mountain on the east side of the airfield - it is a diagonal foot path running from southeast to northwest through the hill.  You should be driving between the mountain and the railroad tracks if you are on the correct (east) side of the airfield.

Art Blade

indeed, thanks, I found it. Only I don't see the advantage. To get there you have to cross a guard post and that area with railroad and mercs and everything, I usually prefer the entrance that is close to the lake. There you only have one GP (when you come via Port Selao) and a patrol truck.

Ahhhh maybe if you chose the back entrance, you had been spottet by the mortar that is somewhere down there on the east, outside the Airfield!

If my memory serves me right, that is ;)

PZ

I personally like either entrance because my first step is to take out the RPG/mortar merc silently, so if I'm on the east side and want a challenge, I'll pass through.  For instance on my way back from the Railroad Xing mission.

Fascinating, I've never encountered a mortar merc on the east outside of the airfield - I'll need to pay more attention!

Art Blade

I may be wrong about him, but I neither met a mortar merc on the airfield  :)

JRD

Quote from: Art Blade on May 21, 2009, 02:16:53 PM
indeed, thanks, I found it. Only I don't see the advantage. To get there you have to cross a guard post and that area with railroad and mercs and everything, I usually prefer the entrance that is close to the lake.

If I'm not mistaken, the second buddy quest assigned by Hakim takes place at the eastern sector of Bowa and in the end you are to help him in a firefight at the airfield. It makes the small pathway the best choice to help him ;)
The one you are supposed to kill the teacher at the polytech perhaps??
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

Can't remember I ever used the path before today though, but what you say about a mission rings a bell (far away) haha. I think I'll try that out next time (mission is still pending) and see what it's like sneaking in through there :) cheers  :-X

deadman1

Quote from: JRD on May 21, 2009, 02:42:02 PM
Quote from: Art Blade on May 21, 2009, 02:16:53 PM
indeed, thanks, I found it. Only I don't see the advantage. To get there you have to cross a guard post and that area with railroad and mercs and everything, I usually prefer the entrance that is close to the lake.

If I'm not mistaken, the second buddy quest assigned by Hakim takes place at the eastern sector of Bowa and in the end you are to help him in a firefight at the airfield. It makes the small pathway the best choice to help him ;)
The one you are supposed to kill the teacher at the polytech perhaps??

Yes that´s the right mission, I used the back entrance to the airport when I went in to help, in my case, Frank.

PZ

Met Reuben at the airfield this morning, killed an RPG sniper coming in, and another RPG sniper on the platform where he usually uses a Dragunov.  Went inside  the hangar and Reuben gave me the bad news - there is an uprising at the prison and I need to find the Jackal and deal with him.  My mind was on planning the route (wanted to take the GL AT) when suddenly the poof.... whistle..... of a mortar.  Barely got into the AT and went racing toward the northwest entrance.  As luck would have it, there was an AT blocking the path close to the "Y" so I got out to move it -  darned buggers were hiding in ambush.  Heard another poof... whistle... and away went my GL AT... oh well, another grenade, another day I thought as I climbed aboard the .50 AT...

I wonder if I'll encounter the mortar merc on the PC version of FC2...

Art Blade

where the heck is that mortar guy located? Still never met him

KingRat

Quote from: Art Blade on May 30, 2009, 03:43:31 PM
where the heck is that mortar guy located? Still never met him

on a ledge above the path opposite the hangers... :)

at least that's where I've always found him...

Art Blade

thanks, KingRat  :-X

Now, that is apparently the very same merc that uses an RPG... I think those mercs "level up" with you, probably plot dependent. That would explain why I, all weapons available, don't see him use a mortar, whereas PZ, who is about to commence his end-game, does see him with a mortar.

PZ

Interesting thought - I'm on the PC today, at about 54% using one of Art's saved games - will go to the airfield and see what happens.  I too have seen this particular merc use an RPG, but I'd say that 90% of the time, he lobs mortar shells at me.

Art Blade

haha, if you use my savegame and that merc uses a mortar on you, I'd ram that damn thing down his throat  ;D ;D ;D

PZ

Just went there - Josip, 54% and the merc was using a standard RPG
[smg id=673]

Art Blade

My mercs aren't as hostile as yours. I had to tell them to use weapons instead of sticks, then  ;D

KingRat

Quote from: PZ on May 31, 2009, 09:30:53 AM
Just went there - Josip, 54% and the merc was using a standard RPG
[smg id=673]

Interesting, I was playing as Josip also, and coming in from the north the mortar guy was on the left and an RPG was down the road on the right behind the hangers...close to the sniper tower.

Unless I'm co-mingling missions....which is quite possible at my age  :)

Art Blade

don't worry, I bet you're better off co-mingling missions than that Josip, who obviously is a severe case of split personality  ;D On top, PZ played me playing Josip! Or, wait, I think... this is all so confusing... LOL

Tags:
🡱 🡳