Details Gallery

Started by JRD, May 13, 2009, 01:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

PZ, out of curiosity and because it has happened to me, did you reply to a post that was at the end of the page (new page when you replied)? I'm asking because depending on how you set your forum layout, the latest post you see and want to reply to sometimes is at the end of the page you see, to that you reply, and only if you check again you may notice you skipped a whole lot of posts. In your case, your reply seems to refer to a post way back, and I know you are likely to comment on the posts that followed in between... :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

Quote from: Art Blade on December 28, 2009, 07:36:52 PM
if indeed all of the dead mercs carry both guns

One thing to consider: The ones I found so far only have superimposed double pistols if they were shot out of their vehicles (no weapons drawn). If killed while walking around, they droped their weapons, including one single pistol, and their holsters were empty.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

Ah ha! Schrödinger's pistols!

Quote from: Art Blade on December 29, 2009, 09:44:26 AM
One thing to consider: The ones I found so far only have superimposed double pistols if they were shot out of their vehicles (no weapons drawn). If killed while walking around, they droped their weapons, including one single pistol, and their holsters were empty.

Riding merc's pistols are in a state of quantum flux because they are not in a free standing state. Independence from their vehicle (while alive) forces a determination of secondary weapon value but because the merc's you have observed are, so to speak dead before they hit the ground, their weapons are still in a quantum flux state that remains unresolved because they were never drawn.

I've noticed that if I want to recharge my grenades or secondary ammo I have to get the AT or DD crew to stop and get out before I kill them or there's no weapons dropped.

I've just never bothered to examine the dead mercs beyond snapping a few screen shots that I've shown my wife of their rag doll splayed landing postures with silly captions like "No one can out perform Skeeter when it comes to Freeze Tag!"
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

JRD

Quote from: mandru on December 29, 2009, 12:47:17 PM
Ah ha! Schrödinger's pistols!

Quote from: Art Blade on December 29, 2009, 09:44:26 AM

Riding merc's pistols are in a state of quantum flux because they are not in a free standing state. Independence from their vehicle (while alive) forces a determination of secondary weapon value but because the merc's you have observed are, so to speak dead before they hit the ground, their weapons are still in a quantum flux state that remains unresolved because they were never drawn.

I've noticed that if I want to recharge my grenades or secondary ammo I have to get the AT or DD crew to stop and get out before I kill them or there's no weapons dropped.

I've just never bothered to examine the dead mercs beyond snapping a few screen shots that I've shown my wife of their rag doll splayed landing postures with silly captions like "No one can out perform Skeeter when it comes to Freeze Tag!"

Quantum Flux  :o

Never underestimate an African mercenary, thats what my grandma used to say!!!  :P
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

;D

Actually, the quantum theory is interesting. Other than digital states (0 or 1, as in flare or pistol) a quantum state is both 0 and 1, at the same time, and only flicks into a state of 0 or 1 the moment it is being checked (usually 1 as in pistol) and may then be processed digitally (switch from 1 to 0, from pistol to flare) in case of need (quick, launch a flare). That leads to the assumption that every walking merc is a potential flare shooter who can switch from any weapon to flare.

;D

mmosu

Oh, like the species of frog that can spontaneously switch genitalia when in need . . .  :-\

Art Blade

No screenshots available, I suppose?  ::)

;)

Art Blade

Quote from: Art Blade on November 03, 2009, 01:39:15 PM
shows a pic on the desk of one of the faction leaders' "office" where you all have been taking on countless missions  ;D

[smg id=1607 align=center width=400]

Alright, that's what we know. Now, what I don't know is, where is the photo in the next screenshot?! I didn't fake anything, this is a regular screenshot, and everything apart from the bouncer is identical, but the photo on the desk is missing (and, well, there is dirt on the floor to the right in the old pic that is missing in the new one edit: checked again, the dirt is outside of our sight, but it is there). Question is, have we got two identical offices? The new pic here where the photo is missing was taken at Pala, Leboa, very early in the game (third main mission). Does the game progress have anything to do with that? The only black woman (as shown in the photo) I can think of is Reuben's wife, and didn't he say something about a threat when he gives you personal items in that hangar towards the end of the game? Questions... :)

[smg id=1818 align=center width=400]

PZ

Fine attention to detail!  :-X

fragger

Nicely spotted, mate :)

Art Blade

cheers, guys :)

Next time around, I'm going to find out about that pic. My guess is that there are two offices that just look the same.

fragger

"Fresh Fish", anyone?

[smg id=1856]

And unveiling the new weapon in the War on Mercs arsenal - the "AT Tank"!

[smg id=1855]

Art Blade

I've seen those fish baskets, but what happened to that AT? :)

mmosu

For the merc who has everything - 300 horsepower, all-wheel drive, rusty armor plating, 2 flat tires, and a 30mm solid mounted weapon for those annoying traffic jams on the road to Pala!

Art Blade

Hehe, indeed... you sparked an idea and an image in my mind, that car looks like a modern version of a competitor at a jousting tournament  ;D

mandru

It kinda takes playing chicken to the next level doesn't it?  ;D
- mandru

Art Blade

;D

Imagine that pole going through engine and driver of the opposing car, like a lance (new sport, car jousting?) I can see a winning car here. :)

Might come in handy when those buffalos cross your path. Drive up to them, I don't care if front or back side, and thrust that lance through the buffalo. Then drive to the next bonfire... a BBQ-AT, short "BAT"  ;D

fragger

Quote from: Art Blade on January 12, 2010, 11:53:07 AM
I've seen those fish baskets, but what happened to that AT? :)

It's a road sign pole that I collected. Unfortunately, it fell off before I could try impaling anything with it :'(

Art Blade

ahhh... heh, I don't think I ever ran a pole over that large, I thought they were solid? :) I've got to try to pick one up next time  ;D

fragger

They come out of the ground fairly easily, I seem to take them down a fair bit. Fortunately, I'm a better driver in real life ;D

Speaking off knocking things down, I discovered recently that you can just power a vehicle right through the flimsy structures at the checkpoint east of Pala, at the four-way crossroads. If you're lucky, you can collect a merc or two as you go through. Be careful though, there's an explosive stockpile in there, so if you're heading east, keep leftish as you go through, or you'll hit the stockpile and set it off.

mandru

Quote from: fragger on January 14, 2010, 12:02:51 AM
Be careful though, there's an explosive stockpile in there, so if you're heading east, keep leftish as you go through, or you'll hit the stockpile and set it off.

I've found that my ride fares a lot better on damage if I'm part of the vehicle. Behind the wheel or in the turret a direct hit from a RPG at worst will cause the engine to go to black smoke but repairable if addressed quickly.

However if I'm standing on the roof for a Datsun or up on the hood or turret of an AT for better perspective I can easily get it blown right out from under me in one hit.

(Wow  ::)  I just realized I spend a lot of time standing on top of my vehicles in game

* note to self - I gotta try avoiding the front bumper and jumping up on the hood of a merc driver that is trying to run me down to see if I can avoid catastrophic damage and turn his attack to my advantage. Hmm...  :-*  Edit additional: I just jumped on the hood of an approaching AT that was trying to run me down with minimal damage! Now headed for the Tips posts to list it  ;D * )

To test this effect I've driven directly into the red exploding barrel that's there near the parking area at Mike's bar in the North map and and I get damage in the form of easily repairable smoke but I get to keep my wheels.  :-X

- mandru

Art Blade

fragger, cheers, going to check it out.

mandru, I think you're right at the hit damage getting reduced while part of the vehicle.

JRD

I clearly remember being on an GLAT carpet bombing Sepoko when I saw a RPG coming in my direction... I thought it was over but, just like mandru said, it black smoked but yet it could be repaired!
It just made me real mad and I finished everybody left on site by hand... slowly and painfully  ;D ;D
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

that's the spirit, JRD  ;D ;D ;D

Art Blade

FYI
I split off the discussion about Gomer Pyle and moved it into "off topic"
click here
Thank you.

Tags:
🡱 🡳