Your most infamous deaths

Started by Art Blade, May 01, 2009, 05:24:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

Maybe you had your moments too... I thought it would be interesting to read or see pics about your most infamous deaths.

What happened to me... during like 150 hours of gameplay, this only happened once: ;D

[smg id=243 align=center width=400]
Screen cap taken near Pala. I was shot, about to drown in a river
and having a malaria attack, lacking pills.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

retiredgord

Well my infamous death was not quite so involved.  I was sneaking around ( at night of course) trying to do something (maybe getting by a GP) and I FELL OFF A HIGH ROCK.  I didn't have a buddy save me and everything went black ..and back to last save.  lol   K.I.E.  Killed in Error
The sun is over the yardarm somewhere in the world..time for a beer :)  :)

JRD

My dumbest death (natural stupidity ;) :
Placed several IED's on a bottleneck, southeast Leboa, waiting for the Mbantwe's furniture convoy to pass by. Climbed the rocks to have a nice view of the blast. As the truck and jeeps passed, I pushed the button. The explosion was so strong (I'd placed 4 IEDs close together) that sent the truck in the air.... landing on me  :P

Another one: Beginning of act II, left Mosate Selao and got to the marina. I always stay in the rocks overlooking the area, up on the road that leads down to the armory and Mike's. Sniped the mercs and finished the others with grenades... heroic. When the area was clear, instead of going down the road, I decided to slide down the rocks.... breaking my dumb neck  :P
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

nice stories, retiredgors and JRD. Sound familiar :)

Do you know that too, saving syrettes in case you really need them, and then die because you did something that wouldn't do much harm... except when low on health... sudden death. I remember I once had finished all mercs around and I was standing on top of something not really high, say a truck. I happily jumped (more like "stepped") down and broke my neck! I was glad those mercs couldn't see that :)

Or, heroic stuff, trying to be ultra-cool: I was approaching a bridge when I noticed another truck heading towards me from the other side of the bridge. I got out of my gren truck and aimed my 6P9 at the driver's head, missed, missed, missed, CRUNCH&SPLATTER got caught between both trucks and my lights went out. Brilliant :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

spaceboy

I've got to say I've had many funny/embarassing deaths but none as good as your malaria attack drowning incident.  That's choice.  I also wish I could've seen JRD get smashed by the truck ("that's not going to...oh yes it is...sh*&").

I'll have to search my memory but they normally involve the falling off cliffs or blowing myself up with a grenade toss after stopping for patrolling mercs. 

I also have many times done the "I'm going take out this driver speeding towards me with my sniper...oh, this aiming,  miss....VROOOM...Oh crap..."
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Art Blade

you remind me, I forgot to state explicitly how much I liked JRD's truck accident. And spaceboy, I love your idea of what to think "that's not going to...oh yes it is...sh*&" LOL nice one!

JRD

Well, thanks guys, that's why I have this signature ;)

I almost got smashed once when a truck came down a road towards me and I tossed agrenade right on time to blow them up and the flaming truck was sent on my direction.
My feeling of great accomplishment by the perfect timing on the grenade toss was almost obscured by my stupidity.... but I had time to step aside... phew  ::)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

I've had so many stupid deaths, I probably hold the record!  However, my most memorable survival is when I was foolishly on the road when an assault truck raced toward my location - threw a grenade and miraculously the truck flew into the air, right over my head, to come crashing down behind me, and all I could do was watch it sail overhead... talk about deer in the headlights...

Art Blade

hehe PZ, I'd love to sometimes sit on your shoulder and watch you do all those funny things :)

I realise you all told stories and I who started the topic only wrote a caption. You may want to know what led to the picture...

I only just started my third through and I read about quadrants of town which cause you to start from this or that location. I wanted to see for myself if that was all true and started to go for all four directions, one at a time and reload.

The picture was taken after I actually succeeded in escaping pala, badly shot, and mercs after me. A malaria attack stroke me, no pills, injured, mercs after me... so I jumped into the river. The malaria kicked in so hard I couldn't surface any more and started to drown... black out... Nice start for a game, eh!  :)

retiredgord

Well Art, that might be the most memorable starts/deaths that could happen. The hand reaching for the surface is a perfect shot.  Poingnant yet still hopeful of being saved.

PZ

Well, I think that you'd get quite a laugh seeing how I stumble my way fortuitously through the game; one close call after another!  (Of course, my luck usually runs out if I don't have a rescue-ready buddy; when it, rains it pours...)

TheFishlord

My most embarrassing death had to be during a weapons convoy mission...

...I blew up the guard trucks and hijacked the big truck in the convoy, drove it to the closest shop. Stuck all 10 possible IEDs all over that sucker. Hit the button...the pressure wave was enormous, the sound even seemed to echo! The truck was just...gone. Then...CRUNCH. Warren has to drag me out from under the burning hulk...  :-[

Art Blade

WHOA hahahaha!! excellent!  :-X

jhouornsaksa

I was in the southeast part of Bowa Seko and i had found the leftmost diamond on the southeast part and started to swim to the bus station nearby. Then there was a boat in a quay but i didn't take it cause i didn't want to get noticed. I continued to swim and then i noticed a fishing boat behind me. i started diving to the coast and i thought it didn't see me even it was following me. Then I came to the coast and finally I realized that they had seen me when IT HIT ME AND I DIED! So, I had to reload last save at the marina weapon shop to get that diamond again. When I was going to the diamond I tried to slide down from a rock but failed AND DIED AGAIN! Then I was like #&¤% and stopped playing.

Art Blade

that sounds tragic... put you off quite a bit then  :-\ I hope you tried again (different tactic perhaps) :)

spaceboy

Quote from: jhouornsaksa on May 09, 2009, 09:16:58 AM
I was in the southeast part of Bowa Seko and i had found the leftmost diamond on the southeast part and started to swim to the bus station nearby. Then there was a boat in a quay but i didn't take it cause i didn't want to get noticed. I continued to swim and then i noticed a fishing boat behind me. i started diving to the coast and i thought it didn't see me even it was following me. Then I came to the coast and finally I realized that they had seen me when IT HIT ME AND I DIED! So, I had to reload last save at the marina weapon shop to get that diamond again. When I was going to the diamond I tried to slide down from a rock but failed AND DIED AGAIN! Then I was like #&¤% and stopped playing.

Excellent story jhouornsaksa.  I especially like the second silly death after the reload - done stuff like that a million times myself.  Also, welcome to the forums, I believe this is the first post of yours I've read (if my memory serves me right)
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

grenada

double deaths. Happened to me once. Except more annoying, if possible.

I was going from the south-west bus stop in Bowa to kill Voorhes and Carbonelli in TaeMoCo mine. I went to the safehouse to the south of there, and pulled my AS-50 out of the case. I shot a yellow barrel in the guard post, like always, and the place went up. I put the AS-50 back and went through the riverbed past the guardpost. I went through my normal route, turning the mine into a shooting gallery(at the beggining for them) and nailed everyone I could see. I went into the little building and shot Carbonneli, but not Voorhees since he saved my skin and never called me errand boy. I went back the way I came. I was going through the pass to teh bus stop, was in sight of it, and FELL OF A ROCK!!!. I didn't have a rescue buddy, since I never could find who ever it was in a safehouse, so I died. I went back and did the whole thing over again taking ANOTHER 45 minutes, then, after shooting Carbonneli, had to turn off my console WITHOUT SAVING. Later, I went back and did it again. Luckily, that evil rock was being watched by my good eye. My other eye was scoping out some virtual zebra steaks.

Art Blade

another nice story :) horrid...  :-X

PZ

Great story grenada, and a testament to your tenacity in playing the game.  I always admire those that tell stories of overcoming adversity no matter what the circumstances.  As I tell those in my "real life" world, I don't want to hear the word "frustration" come out of their mouths - just get the job done!

Art Blade

KingRat

Had my share of head slappers, like jumping out of the vehicle to soon and getting run over  :-[ But my best one came late in my last run through.

Heading to the Brewery by boat I run into a patrol, both boats wind up flaming piles of scrap. Swim to the brewery dock and proceed to clean up the grounds of pesky guards the whole while dodging mortar shells. Before going inside to finish the assignment I thought I'd snipe the mortar guy. So I'm over between the wall and assault truck when a round lands just on the other side of the truck. Next thing I know I'm pinned up against the wall with a flaming truck on me watching my health disappear and no buddy to save me.

Restarted mission and took out the mortar first!  :)

RedRaven

;D had similar death myself. first time using M-79, was driving along admiring the scenery when spotted an assault truck heading my way and gaining speed, jumped out of my dune buggy, stood in middle of road and as they turned the corner heading right at me - BANG, one grenade smack bang into their radiator grill, truck blew up, throwing both mercs into the air screaming, but as i was busy reloading didnt notice the truck flying thru the air untill it landed on top of me, in my suprise pulled trigger again and BOOM, that was the end of me!!! :D
Reload and try again.
needless to say didnt make the same mistake again  ;D
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Art Blade

LOL - that's one of my favourites: when surprised, shoot. Needless to say I don't care what I shoot with... grenades, rockets... double-boom :)

Art Blade

On behalf of the merc depicted below:

"Tried to sneak around the safehouse of that pesky player who already killed my mate. Thought I'd surprise him good. Waited 'til he returned from Sefapane (I knew he'd massacre that poor peaceful town again). Strangely though, heard a Jeep coming close, I thought he'd drive a truck... fired a couple of rounds at him when he drove like a complete moron across the back yard and f@#k me, nailed me with his Jeep to the wall! Although I was dead already, he fired his new FAL at my body. Next time, I shall respawn and get him! Once!"

[smg id=610 align=center width=400]

retiredgord

OWWWWW...that's gonna leave a mark.

Tags:
🡱 🡳