Your most infamous deaths

Started by Art Blade, May 01, 2009, 05:24:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Interesting twist - the story from the perspective of the merc - great idea!  :-X

Art Blade

on behalf of a bull...

"Dogon Valley... Silence, water, sun... peace. Then a strange buzzing and that blue thing with a screaming 2-legs comes out of the sky and... MOOooooargh!"

[smg id=734 width=400]
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

wexer9

Quote from: Art Blade on May 01, 2009, 05:24:00 AM[smg id=243 align=center width=400]
Screen cap taken near Pala. I was shot, about to drown in a river
and having a malaria attack, lacking pills.

That is an extremely cool picture!

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Didius Falco

I dunno if it's really infamous - more like ignominious. It was my very first play through. Being left-handed, I always have to reset all the keyboard controls. I set the Delete key for entering and grabbing mounted guns, and the End key for throwing grenades/Molotovs.

I had set up an ambush for a convoy and was already in the back of the truck, ready to spring the trap. After a while, I started thinking the convoy should have arrived by then, and wondering if I'd set up in the wrong place. I jumped down from the truck and whipped out my map - just in time for the convoy to turn up and start spraying me with gunfire. Attempting to jump back in the truck gun bay, I hit the Delete key, but nothing happened, so I hit it a couple of more times. Still nothing happened.

By that stage, I was near death, so I crouched down and popped a syrette - just in time for the 3 grenades I'd lobbed into the back of my truck to go off.

Hitting the End key (3x!!) instead of the Delete key proved a fatal mistake.

The very first mounted machine gun I used was a stationary mount with a limited turning radius, and I couldn't figure out how to let it go when a merc flanked around behind me. Another embarrassing death...

I also was unaware of the use of the C key to go from the drivers seat to the mounted gun. If I had a dollar for every time I got run over trying to run around behind the truck...   

Art Blade

<choke> HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! ^+-+ :-X

I love to read stuff like that. Shows us that we're not alone out there using the wrong keys just at the perfectly right time to croak when nobody would have us expected to ;D

fragger

Like whipping out the map instead of one's Special Weapon at precisely the wrong moment and getting whacked for it. Yelling "Watch it, merc, or I'll wrap this map around your head and smother you with it" didn't seem to deter my assailant any.

Great anecdotes there, Didius ;D ;D :-X

mandru

My first time through FC2 I was a bit unclear on the concept in more ways than one.    ???

Who'd a thought that outside of towns everyone wanted to kill me and whether on foot or on patrol would go a long ways out of their way to do so?  What do you mean I need to make a save point every time I have a spare moment scratch my head and wonder what should I be doing next?  Isn't enthusiasm more important that being properly outfitted for a task?   ;D

Heh, I had a lot to learn.   8)

Having completed the training tutorial I knew that to get better weapons available once I'd collected the diamonds I needed to complete some of the weapons shop's missions so I popped back up to Mike's and picked up the mission to take out the convoy that circled the loop between OGC (green houses) and the Western weapons shop.

Equipped with a shiny new Makarov, an unknowingly ratty old G3-KA4 (what do you mean it starts jamming every time I try to take a shot?), the LPO-50 flame thrower and Jackal's trusty scout knife I looked at my map and decided that the shortest route was through something called Lumber.

When the map switched to area detail for lumber and I realized there was a maze to w@&k my way through I stopped and tried to figure out what was the best way through. All I can figure out in retrospect is that the mercs were alerted to my presence before I even knew I was in trouble.  One of them must have panicked and fired a flair because by the time I looked up from studying the map (gun shots tend to get my attention) there were two ATs mounted guns blazing (one in front of me and one from behind) plus all the remaining mercs in the area on foot shooting from the brush and all planning a celebrity roast with me as the guest of honor.  I went down fast without firing a shot and found myself back in the tutorial at that point where they try to teach you to make frequent saves.  :D

Of course I learned fast and knowing better than cutting through Lumber I duplicated my steps, drew the same arms dealer mission and promptly ran over a merc in Pala got mobbed and finding myself back the tutorial at that first save point again.

I told you I learn fast.   :'(
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

Tags:
🡱 🡳