FC3: Blood Dragon

Started by Jim di Griz, April 07, 2013, 12:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim di Griz

Remember the April Fool's trailer from last week?

Seems it might be a real release after all...

http://kotaku.com/far-cry-3-blood-dragon-screenshots-show-yup-this-exp-470737822

QuoteThe year is 2007. It is the future. Earth has been ravaged by a nuclear war and new paths for peace must be found. A U.S. cyborg army may have found a solution: a powerful bioweapon on a distant island. A Mark IV Cyber Commando, Sergeant Rex Power Colt has been sent over to gather information and figure out what the hell is going on.

http://fc3blooddragon.uk.ubi.com/index.php

The thinking is that this will probably be DLC - a standalone game wouldn't have a 3 in the title. It looks insane...

Apologies by the way if it's been mentioned already on one of the other FC3 posts - I've just done a ten hour shift stacking shelves and feel a bit too tired to go searching...
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer  - Major Holdridge
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Art Blade

no worries mate, thank you for sharing  :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Dweller_Benthos

Pretty cool, did you see the pic of what media it comes on?

I'll need to dig that 5.25" floppy drive out of the attic, and then find a Commodore computer to hook it up to.

It just seems it's too weird to be real, but if it's not, it's the most elaborate Aprils Fool's ever.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

it sure looks a bit like Duke Nukem Forever, ready to fight off aliens who were eye-balling our chicks  :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Jim di Griz

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on April 07, 2013, 06:03:00 AM
Pretty cool, did you see the pic of what media it comes on?

I'll need to dig that 5.25" floppy drive out of the attic, and then find a Commodore computer to hook it up to.

It just seems it's too weird to be real, but if it's not, it's the most elaborate Aprils Fool's ever.
Yeah, whacky alright and a nice touch to keep it seeming as if the game has already been launched in the 80s.

It isn't DLC as you won't need FC3 to play it and launch will be May 1st complete with all the 80s cheesiness they can muster.
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer  - Major Holdridge

Jim di Griz

Thirty minutes of gameplay got put up onto YouTube earlier but has been taken down from every YouTube account that re-posted it, plus the Eurogamer article below.

Eurogamer article

Four mins of gameplay seems to be still up though...
Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon - Gameplay-Video

Insane I tell you...

Art Blade

looks a bit like in the film TRON  :) YORI, WHERE ARE YOU?! And I want to be CLU with Tron by my side to help me take down Sark and the MCP!  :-()

Jim di Griz

^-^ yeah, especially with that bow all neon-like, I thought the same  :-D

Dweller_Benthos

Video has been removed by user..... dang it
D_B

Art Blade

wow, here something interesting from a German site of a renown computer and science magazine. I'll translate it for you

http://www.heise.de/security/meldung/Ubisofts-Download-Dienst-uPlay-gehackt-1838115.html

Quote10.04.2013 11:45 April 10, 2013, 11:45AM

Ubisofts Download-Dienst uPlay gehackt Ubisoft's download service uPlay hacked

Russischen Hackern ist es offenbar gelungen, eine Sicherheitslücke in Ubisofts uPlay-Launcher auszunutzen. Sie erbeuteten eine spielbare Vorabversion des First-Person-Shooters "Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon". Mit der uPlay-Software können Spiele erworben und freigeschaltet werden. Den Hackern gelang es, die Software auszutricksen. Somit konnten sie sich als Eigentümer von diversen Spielen ausgeben und diese dann DRM-frei von den Ubisoft-Servern laden. Offenbar gelangten sie über diesen Wege auch an einen Link eines noch nicht veröffentlichten Addons von Far Cry 3. Momentan kümmert sich Ubisoft darum, die Sicherheitslücke zu schließen; außerdem hat das Unternehmen den uPlay-Dienst für Wartungsarbeiten gesperrt.

Apparently Russian hackers managed to exploit a security hole in Ubisoft's uPlay-Launcher. They heisted a playable pre-release copy of the FPS "FarCry3: Blood Dragon." With the software uPlay, games may be purchased and unlocked. The hackers managed to trick the software making it believe they were owners of various games and therefore were able to download them DRM-free from UBI's servers. Obviously on doing so they happened upon a link to an unreleased addon for FC3. Currently Ubisoft is taking care of fixing the security hole, additionally the company shut down uPlay services for maintenance.

Die Website Gizmodo berichtete über zahlreiche Demo-Videos mit einer geleakten Spieleversion auf Video-Portalen wie Youtube. Anscheinend ist die Schwachstelle in einschlägigen Kreisen bereits seit Dezember vorigen Jahres bekannt.

The webpage Gizmodo reported about numerous demo videos of a leeched playable copy on video portals such as YouTube. Apparently that vulnerability has already been known to insiders since December of last year.

Von der Nachahmung der Youtube-Videos wird dringend abgeraten: Es ist illegales Verhalten und wird von den Spieleherstellern mit der Abschaltung des Nutzer-Accounts bestraft. Zudem besteht ein sehr hohes Risiko einer Viren- oder Trojaner-Infektion. Diverse unbedarfte Anwender beklagen sich in den Kommentaren der How-To-Videos darüber, dass sie sich beim Nachmachen des Tutorials Schadsoftware auf den Rechner geladen haben.

It is highly advisable to abstain from reproducing those YouTube videos: It is malfeasance and will be punished by game producers resulting in shutting down user accounts. Additionally, there is a very high risk of viral or trojan infections. Several ingenuous users complained in comments to those how-to videos that they downloaded malicious software to their computers while following the instructions of the tutorial.

Zum Addon-Spiel selbst gibt Ubisoft so gut wie keine Informationen. Es gibt lediglich eine offizielle Aprilscherz-Seite. Mittlerweile haben sich die Meldungen über ein ernsthaftes Addon zu FarCry 3 aber verdichtet, wie auch das Spielemagazin Gamestar meldete. Offenbar handelt es sich um ein Download-Angebot, das auch auf Xbox Live und Playstation Network erscheinen soll. Angesichts der Sicherheitsproblematik und der vorläufigen Abschaltung von uPlay ist der Leak sicherlich keine gezielte Werbeaktion des Spieleherstellers.

Regarding the add-on game Ubisoft has given away almost no information at all. An April-fool site is all there is. Meanwhile reports about a real add-on to FC3 are accumulating as was reported by game magazine Gamestar. Apparently it will be a DLC which is also supposed to be released on Xbox Live and Playstation network. With regards to the temporary shutdown of uPlay, the leak is certainly not a purposeful sales campaign by the game producer.

[ Update 10.04.2013 14:30 Uhr ] Inzwischen ist der uPlay-Dienst wieder verfügbar.
[ Update April 10, 2013, 2:30PM ] Meanwhile uPlay is back online again.

PZ

Very interesting; imagine if that were to happen to EA (Origin) servers.  Simcity would be shut down and no one would be able to play.  Wouldn't hurt my feelings at all of those EA fools were to suffer such a loss.

Art Blade

indeed. Around the article I also found other articles stating that uPlay accounts (Ubi: "very few") had been hacked which resulted in problems legitimate users encountered such as being unable to use their accounts and that meant being unable to play their games they had purchased. They had to open a new account and because UBI support wasn't helpful they addressed their complaints to admins directly who sometimes handed out registration keys so the users were able to reclaim their games. Other users who had opened a second account just in order to get to those admins had to go through quite some trouble having their original accounts reassigned to them.

PZ

As one who does only single player, I long for the old days when all you needed was a physical disc to install and play your game.

Art Blade

Basically I'm just like you with one difference: I like a few games that feature co-op online gameplay but I admit that I only really enjoy playing those with fellow OWG members. It is extremely rare to find random people out there who are nice enough to recommend OWG to them  ;) After four years of OWG and online gaming, I have but five friends on my steam friends list who are not associated with us.

Jim di Griz

There is a Russian member of GTP who openly said he had Tomb Raider and Aliens: Colonial Marines more than a week early, due to a hack via his PS3. He said this on a public forum...some people really don't think they'll be caught, do they?

It's like the undisclosed number of user who got banned recently from playing GT5 online because they had used hacked cars to compete in the online time trial events.

B33 ENN

"Do your mother a favour, buy a Lance & Ferman Military Laser."

TheStranger

The "addon" sounds really really great. Fresh and sick idea. I love it :)

Dweller_Benthos

D_B

Jim di Griz

Oh indeed, it's been real for about a week now  ^-^ Michael Biehn doing the voice

Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon - Michael Biehn is Sergeant Rex "Power" Colt [North America]

1st May will reveal all and quite cheap too  :)

Interersting how retro gaming is suddenly at the forefront. There is a game called God Mode by Old School Games already out on 360 and coming to PSN next week, not sure if there is a PC version around, but i'd be surprised if not - title says it all really.

Dweller_Benthos

It might be fun, I'll watch some videos first, and once I'm done with FC3 proper, I may grab it.
D_B

Art Blade

that interview was funny  :-D Plus, the VHS tape smearing they blended in  :laugh:

Dweller_Benthos

So, anyone take the bait yet?
D_B

Art Blade

mandru

What?  After being unrepentantly robbed of my purchased seven months in advance pre-order bonus content for both UBI's AC3 and FC3 on the PC?  >:((

That seven month wait for such a total screw job by UBI was too much for me to ever openly trust them again.

I'm going to stand back and let some other suckers finance UBI's closing costs for the "home stretch to release date development" from now on.   Beyond that I believe it's worth going back to my old habit of waiting until a game drops from its hyped release price and then weigh that cost against the general tone of actual player reviews before I ever touch another UBI game.  It's also probably wiser to let the by now too typical "We rushed and released a buggy game and now we gotta fix it" patches get out of the way as well.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Tags:
🡱 🡳