FC3: Blood Dragon

Started by Jim di Griz, April 07, 2013, 12:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Binnatics

So true Mandru.... I won't burn my fingers anymore on an early release and dito high price either. Besides, I hardly doubt that this is going to be a great release.
There are still some must-haves though, that I would buy no matter how buggy the release may be. I must say, that FC3 was and would be one of them. But that is mostly because of the value for my contribution to our shared experiences.
This so called DLC is something that doesn't seem to be any good, so I'll check reviews and, more important, player reviews before even thinking of trying it myself :-D
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Dweller_Benthos

I don't know, doesn't look too bad

(Max Settings) Let's Play Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon - Part 1

Like I said, once I get through FC3 and some other stuff, I might look into it. Essentially, it seems to be FC3 action with a new setting. I will keep an eye on it and watch more vids though.

Those of you who don't like the sci-fi setting and weapons will probably be turned off though.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Binnatics

I'll wait for your first hand comments before trying it.  ;)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

I thought it looked great until the player went into the scifi building. In fact the grassy area, rocks, and trees reminded me more of the FC2 landscape.  Futuristic scifi is not really my cup of tea, so I'll likely pass until it reaches the bargain bins.

Jim di Griz

Going to be busy with DI: Riptide for a few more weeks I think. Should be getting this after that though.
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer  - Major Holdridge
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

mandru

It really appears that UBI's trying to win this years golden toilet mouth award for the most gratuitous and inartistic usage of the words MF'er in a single cut scene. 

There's campy and then there's crap.  The dialog in this cut so close to the latter I had to hose my living room down with Lysol to cut the stench.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

TheStranger

Quote from: Jim di Griz on May 02, 2013, 01:43:26 AM
Going to be busy with DI: Riptide for a few more weeks I think. Should be getting this after that though.

I only read that Riptide had awful critics. Loved Dead Island (with mods) but I am very unsure concerning Riptide.

Jim di Griz

Quote from: TheStranger on May 06, 2013, 01:35:13 AM
I only read that Riptide had awful critics. Loved Dead Island (with mods) but I am very unsure concerning Riptide.
Sorry, been out of contact with the world (mostly) due to no internet yet in our new place...damn you BT!

I don't really go on what the game reviews or critics say as there are too many agendas out there it seems. I enjoyed it - it brought new stuff to the table but was essentially the same set up. Nice new environments too.

But that's not why I came here...

FC3 BD is hilarious - plenty of fun and yes indeed, it does feel and sound a lot more like FC2 once you get out into the open - plenty of insect noises during the quieter bits.

I've only taken three out of the thirteen garrisons so far and tackled three main missions, but it is clear to me that they guys were just letting themselves loose and having fun with this. There are so many references to FC3 in there and it's a great switch around having nerdy scientists taking the place of the rakyat chumps - their idle chatter is pretty funny, also a lot more FC2 merc in that respect. I caught one musing something like this: "I wonder if there are any hot tribal girls with tatoos and a brother fixation - I could really go for one of those." Also the baddie states in a cut-scene: "Now sending you two in after me - now that right there is the definition of insanity."

Maybe not to everyones' taste, but if taken with a bucket of salt, it'll make you cough and splutter very frequently (or maybe that was the salt...) and you'll have a great time.
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer  - Major Holdridge

Art Blade

good to know you're alive and kicking mate and thanks for the comment on those games :) :-X

I agree about reviews that are not from our site  :-()
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Jim di Griz

Quote from: Art Blade on November 16, 2013, 06:19:19 AM
...I agree about reviews that are not from our site  :-()
^-^

Yup, still hanging on in there - Internet should be back within a week despite ordering it all three weeks before moving...

Might be going silent(ish) for a while though, as I'm busy with a few non-games related things for the next year or so. I will drop in on occasion though  :)

Art Blade

you may be away but not forgotten  :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Jim di Griz

Art Blade

OK, then, forget it.  :-()

Jim di Griz

PZ

Nice to see you back, JdG, even if for just a short time  ;)

Binnatics

Well, a week ago FC3 BD hit the bargain bin @ Steam for the first time; only €5,09 for the entire game. Not bad, I thought, it was 75% off, so I bought it. Haven't tested it out yet, but will do any time soon. Will keep you posted about my experiences, but reading JdG's review it's going to be a cool adventure ^-^

Keep you posted :-X :)

Art Blade

Binnatics

I gave it a first shot today. Had to reconfigure video settings and graphics settings all the way, the game thought I have a prehistoric machine ::)

After doing that I got introduced to the basic way of story telling of the game. No old fashioned cutscenes, but simple old-school comic book story telling. Very retro. I seem to be some sort of cyborg soldier that has to save the needs of post apocalyptic America. I am a dump killing machine and things like tutorials creep me the hell out.
The world where I find myself into seems indeed Rook Island in the future, but a closer look to the map learns it isn't. It looks a lot like it, with same animals shown and guard posts to unlock (here called Garrison points) but it has a different form and, most obvious, appearance.

The dump soldier that I am seems a half-cast Duke Nukem in a way, but his oneliners are less catchy. Anyway, my first round in the game is a shootout from a helicopter with a massive mini-laser-gun. Easy shooting and exploding things. Nice ^-^

Second part is, after a damn long tutorial, a first approach to learn the basics; takedowns, shooting, all quite the same as in FC3. I start with a auto-fire pistol, a machine gun firing bullets (not laser beams, it needs upgrades for that), a sniper and a shotty.
The sniper is immediately impressing me. So does the handgun. The machine gun is worthless and the shotgun good for close quarter fighting.

It takes a while to get used to the cyborg soldiers and the weird, futuristic colours in the game, but in the end the game feels pretty much like FC3. I have just reached the point where I unlocked my first Garrison Point. You can find side quests there, pretty much the same as in FC3. Doing those will give you attachments and other extras to your weapons.

The cutscenes are most annoying so far. Well, they tell the story of course, but I found myself at a hard moment in the game, and the checkpoint was just before the cutscene. I died a couple of times so I had seen that cutscene 3 or 4 times already until I found out there WAS a way to skip them; a bit hidden away in a pause menu :D

These short impressions is what happened to me the first hour in the game. I took some screenshots and will give a more detailed first impression after a second round of gameplay. Check out the screenies:

[smg id=6604]
My shotgun laying on my cyborg arm. In the distance a mad scientist

[smg id=6605]
This is an image of the cuscene I watched 3 times too often :angel:

[smg id=6606]
Scoped view through the sniper

[smg id=6607]
Purple goo with dead scientists. Looks a bit like the Hyve in DukeNukem Forever.

[smg id=6608]
Blood dragons. I haven't tried fighting them yet. THere must be a way, but so far they seem quite invincible.

[smg id=6609]
The futuristic bow. "What, you think a bow is old fashioned? That's why we painted it Neon. Neon's the future"

[smg id=6610]
This hero we play is an anti-drug hero :angel:

[smg id=6611]
Good old health boxes ^-^

[smg id=6612]
I'm sure you guys recognize this woman?? I didn't, but I thought I'd better grab this money :-()

[smg id=6613]
My partner hacking the main frame :)

Art Blade

I'm glad I didn't buy it  :-()

mandru

Nice start of a review binn. +1

I look forward to reading your impressions of the game as you play through.  :-X
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Dweller_Benthos

Is that Jane Fonda on the money? If not, then I have no idea who it's supposed to be.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on March 03, 2014, 07:57:17 AM
Is that Jane Fonda on the money? ...

Susan Lucci before all the cosmetic surgery ????

Good mini-review; +1 Binn  :-X

Binnatics

Thanx guys, I'll keep you posted. Hope for a somewhat more structured feedback after a bit more playtime ;)

Art Blade

I reckon in that pic we see Nancy Reagan. :)

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on March 03, 2014, 04:19:54 PM
I reckon in that pic we see Nancy Reagan. :)

I don't recall a picture of Nancy Reagan looking that good  ????

Tags:
🡱 🡳