FC3 Map Editor - Sandy Dreams

Started by Art Blade, February 21, 2013, 05:07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

This is where I'd like to be now. Between those coconut palm trees is a beach chair, to the left a laptop computer (you can see the blue glow) and to the right a ghetto blaster. And that is what FC3 looks like when there are no bloody silly fake mountains looming behind the horizon. I did it with the map editor :)

[smg id=5600 type=preview align=center caption="Art's FC3ME b001"]
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Very nice  :-X

I just tried the repair tool - it is not good on game, but works quite well on the natives.  It is also a great fire starter that never runs out of fuel.  A small pack of dogs wanted to attack me, but I lit the grass on fire and killed them all  >:D

Art Blade

thanks and hehe, the repair tool can be fun :)

I thought I'd give you two more pics of the Sandy Dream I'm currently working on just so you get an idea of what FC3 could have looked like  :-()

Oh and mandru.. now the pics will enlarge when you click them  :-D

[smg id=5601 type=preview align=center caption="Art's FC3ME b002"]
[smg id=5602 type=preview align=center caption="Art's FC3ME b003"]
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

That's beautiful; too bad the developers didn't have at least one direction that would provide an endless horizon.

Art Blade

mandru

Quote from: Art Blade on February 21, 2013, 06:12:33 PM

Oh and mandru.. now the pics will enlarge when you click them  :-D

Cool Art both the pics and the click to enlarge feature.  ^-^

Since you're editing landscapes to create a perfect dream spot you might want to add another pair of palms to this scenic oasis for the comfortable hammock that 's missing from this sweet little slice of bliss.  ;)
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

Hehe  :-D Thanks, mandru  :)

There are many things in the editor (no hammock I'm afraid) that one can use for one's personal entertainment (AI in general, which means all sorts of pirates, Hoyt mercs and animals) but they're not allowed for any type of game the maps are meant for. In other words, you can have a lot of fun on your own but never play them with other people. I can only assume that they originally wanted us to do more with the editor. Single Player or Co-op missions would have been fun with all those AI types. Well.. that's why I think sod it, I create maps that look good and I have fun watching AI fight AI (pirates and mercs vs Rakyat and all of them vs animals) but that's it. Still fun :)

fragger

Good stuff Art :-X That does look so much more idyllic without those mountainous islands hovering around the horizon.

Art Blade

Thanks, fragger :)

I'm not quite sure yet whether I'd like to hand the guy responsible for those mountains a pistol to shoot himself dead or to shoot him myself. Ah, now I know. If I find an insanely sharp beautiful large Japanese sword first, I won't need to worry about that any more. >:D

Art Blade

HA! -- I'm uploading the editor file for you (1.8 MB) so you can see it with your own in-game eyes.  :-D

go straight to the downloads :)

Art Blade

I've just split this topic off the screenshots topic.. didn't want to hijack that, then  :)

Hehe, I had Abletile download and play with it for a bit and had him add a few pirates, Rakyats and.. snakes.. then he watched. His laughter was contagious (steam voice chat) :-()

Hacko

Where is the cocktail lounge on that island of yours...great pics btw :)

Dweller_Benthos

Nice, I will fool around with it. Where/how do you get the editor? Not that I have any amount of time to fool around with one. I know how much of a black hole for time those things can be.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Abletile

What a cool island, very tranquil. Nice job Artblade :)

(all peace can be shattered with a couple of bad guys and a few monitor lizards, lol)

>:D >:D

Jokes about ducks are not all they're quacked up to be. ;-)

Art Blade

thanks, Hacko and D_B :) I'm afraid there's no cocktail bar or lounge available in the editor, would have been nice :)

The editor is called FC3Editor.exe and resides in the same folder the game-exe does. It comes with the game.

Art Blade

Thanks, Abletile :) I split your reply off the screenshots topic and merged it with this one here, apparently you hadn't refreshed your browser when posting. Hehe  :-()

Abletile

Lol, typical lame moment from me. As usual, actions before thinking.
*Note to self, think THEN act lol

Art Blade

No worries, we did get it sorted out  :-()

Abletile

:-X Plus 1 for you then for having the fiddle to sort out my mess  :laugh:

PZ

Can you place red shirts, vehicles, and the like?

Art Blade

PZ

I discovered that if you have not opened the editor or saved any maps, the user maps folder will not be there.  You can create it manually or you can start your own map which will automatically create the folder.

Art Blade

nice find :-X :)

What may interest you is what we did in FC2, "merc wars." Just place a couple of allied and hostile AI (pirate vs Rakyat) and a carnivore or two and.. watch. Make sure the editor settings (lower right corner of the editor side bar) have "invisibility" and "invincibility" boxes checked. I find watching them fight one another extremely amusing :)

fragger

:-X >:D

Reminds me of Age Of Kings - I made a map where I had a crowd of peasants surrounded by a big pack of wolves. I used to load it up and watch to see who would survive, dogs or people >:D The dogs usually won.

I know, I'm a sick ba$t@rd...

Art Blade

lol, the Romans were, they came up with Circus "games" like that way before you did  :-()

Tags:
🡱 🡳