FC3 DLC

Started by Jim di Griz, January 17, 2013, 02:18:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim di Griz

Currently there is a co-op DLC called High Tides free on PS3. It should be available for the other platforms soon, hopefully also for free as I believe that Ubisoft are keen for a gesture to appease people.

Another DLC has been released, which looks like a bundle of all the regional pre-order packs and missions that came out and it is quite reasonably priced.

The High Tides missions are harder, longer and a continuation of the co-op story and comprise of two chapters: Jailbreak and Redemption. I had quite a bit of fun doing them yesterday. They have a healthy mix of open attack then defense mixed in with enclosed and fraught defensive sections. The last part of Redemption had something like six heavies to deal with along with a lot of snipers and boats. The challenge segments were for the GL and explosive arrows - I won both  :)
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer  - Major Holdridge
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Art Blade

cheers, mate, and congratz :)  :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Dweller_Benthos

"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

I think so.  I have the monkey business pack on the console (pre-order bonus) but not on the PC.  The monkey pack missions were well done, and if I remember correctly, were mostly if not all open world in nature (can't exactly remember).  However, if they were linear like the main missions they likely would have annoyed me and that I would have remembered.

I think I'll invest - thanks for posting.  :-X

Art Blade

I've got a couple of those DLC items as they came with the deluxe version as a bonus. I've played very few of those additional missions. The monkey mission I played (obviously the first one) was quite entertaining. The other missions I've got started with running through a collapsing ruin's narrow corridors or tunnels which, of course they just had to do that, were on fire and set up like a maze. You just don't feel any open world sensation that moment. And those tunnels were loaded with waves of enemies.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Dweller_Benthos

I'd probably buy it if I thought it would keep playing for more than five minutes at a time.
D_B

PZ

I was just at the Ubisoft store and was going to purchase the Deluxe Bundle but they want all kinds of data they call "billing information" including birth date and telephone number.  Yeah, right, they need my birth date and phone number for a credit card purchase of less than $10.  What kind of fools do they think we are.

I'm now going to look for it at Gamestop, and if it is not available, I'm simply not going to purchase.  Those f'in idiots at Ubisoft are the greediest bastards I've encountered yet - not only do they charge for content, they also want my personal information so they can sell that too.

PZ

Actually found it at one of my normal online retailers and a couple of clicks later I was able to download - the thing is only 221 mb, so definitely not much extra that was not already built into the original game.  As I mentioned about the Monkey Pac and the PS3 version - that one was only a few kb large so the content was already on the disc.

Clearly what they do is charge $59 for the initial game that already has the DLC built in, and then later charge $10 for the DLC effectively raising the cost of the game to $69.

EDIT: it's actually worse than I thought - the initial 1 mb download was a download application that allowed you to download the 221 mb installer.  Evidently that 221 mb is not actually game content because all it did was  generate an unlock key when the "Install" was initiated.  Then, starting the game in online mode allowed me to enter the unlock key in the exclusive content area which unlocked the content already in the file system.  I did not find any evidence of anything being installed in the game's data folders.

fragger

I bought the Insane Edition (even though I didn't mean to - I thought I had pre-ordered the plain game, but the IE was what came) which comes with Monkey Business, the Lost Expeditions and some other stuff. I haven't gotten around to the DLC yet, I'm kind of reluctant to let UPlay get at my game in case it starts DLing hundreds of MBs worth of patches and I'm not ready for that yet - not until holiday season is over and all the tourists take their SmartPhones and tablets and shove off back to the cities, freeing up more of what little bandwidth we get in these parts so the DL doesn't take flipping hours :-\\

PZ's report has made me even more reluctant, but I may bite the bullet one day when I'm feeling sufficiently masochistic.

Jim di Griz

Well, it's hardly DLC as such, at least not in the classic sense. I know your frustration PZ about content already being on disc, but in this case this is all pre-order bonus stuff that had to come with the disc as different regions got different pre-order packs made available to them. We only had the choice of Insane Edition with the Lost Expiditions or standard. The unlock key just makes it available.

There are of course a few publishers who release game discs with content already locked away and do charge for them subsequently as DLC - EA being the main purpetrator. This time though, it gives other folks the chance to get at the stuff the rest of the world got.
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer  - Major Holdridge

Dweller_Benthos

Quote from: PZ on January 17, 2013, 08:31:11 PM
I was just at the Ubisoft store and was going to purchase the Deluxe Bundle but they want all kinds of data they call "billing information" including birth date and telephone number.  Yeah, right, they need my birth date and phone number for a credit card purchase of less than $10.  What kind of fools do they think we are.

I'm now going to look for it at Gamestop, and if it is not available, I'm simply not going to purchase.  Those f'in idiots at Ubisoft are the greediest bastards I've encountered yet - not only do they charge for content, they also want my personal information so they can sell that too.

When I bought the new video card, I got codes for Assassin Creed 2 (or was it AC3?) and Borderlands 2. AC2 was UBI, so I went to the Ubi link provided and then to the store, where I had to fill out all purchase information FOR A FREE GAME.

BL2 I just pasted the code into Steam and it started to download.
D_B

Binnatics

It's simple. Ubi wants to earn money and we only pay if it's worth it. I paid 59 for named extras like the monkey missions and the lost expeditions (and extra tattau and weapon content) and I wouldn't have done it if I knew what it was. It did not offer extra joy for me. The monkey missions we nice, but not something worth 10 bucks. The rest is crap. So I would not recommend it. The extra coop content though sounds very nice. I can imagine having lots of fun with it, together with others in online play.
Hope it will be available for free though ;)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

Jim di Griz

Judging by their efforts to placate over at the Ubi forum for FC3 I'd say that they might just do that - not that some of the ingratiates over there would appreciate it.

I'll keep an eye open for you all.

Binnatics

Thanx Jim, looking forward to some new coop chapters :)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Dweller_Benthos

DLC? More like A.I.C.T.Y.H.T.P.E.F. (Already Installed Content That You Have To Pay Extra For) I go to the Ubi store, buy the so called DLC, and get a download of a couple PDFs and the soundtrack MP3s. The one PDF is a corny "island survival guide" supposedly written by Jason on how to survive on a hostile island. Nice, but kinda useless. The other PDF is about three sentences that say to run the game, go to the menu and type in your code to unlock the new content. So, it's was already there from the original install. Nice, I get to pay more for something I had all along.
D_B

PZ

I recall the Assassin's Creed DLC was something that you actually downloaded because it contained additional code and graphics.  Ubi really should call it something other than DLC because you really aren't downloading content per se as one might think.  You are simply paying an additional premium for what is already present.

Perhaps "ULC" is a less misleading acronym.  Essentially what they are accomplishing is similar to the following:

Microsoft sells you Office 2010.  You install it, and then do a bit of word processing.  Then you hear about a marvelous DLC that Microsoft is offering for the mere price of $25 that will allow you to create and manipulate spreadsheets.  You pay your money, receive the code and plug it in to discover you have unlocked the endless potential of Excel.  Then because Microsoft is so philanthropic, they offer you the ability to do flat field database function at the ridiculously low DLC price of an additional $25.  Rinse and repeat for all Office functions. 

In the end you pay an additional $100 for what you already had to begin with and you begin to smell a rat.  Like a fool you think to yourself, "why didn't they just charge me the additional $100 to begin with"

As Josie Wales said "don't piss down my back and tell me it's rainin'"

This scenario actually reminds me of what is happening at the local filling station.  I recall a time when the rate of gasoline flow out of the pump was high enough to fill a 5-gallon portable tank in less than 30 seconds.  Today filling the same gas can takes orders of magnitude longer, yet as far as I am aware, gas pump technology has not regressed.  The only reasonable conclusion: they are slowing the pumps down so that it takes longer to fill the tank - this gives stupid people the illusion that they are getting more for their money because it is taking longer to fill their tanks.

Just how stupid do they think we are.  [I know... exceedingly stupid... that was simply a rhetorical question]

Art Blade

Art Blade

The free DLC High Tide was released for PC yesterday and I was hosting a co-op game on hard. We played a couple of times through both of those Redemption and Jailbreak missions. They are fantastic  :) :-X There are new "warrior" skins, one for each character.
[smg id=5518 type=link align=center width=500 caption="2013 02 01 00009"]
The last round on Redemption was quite long and I ended up with an enormous stats and probably 15 encrypted data storages. THIS WAS A REALLY NICE GAME and nice players, too, who stuck with me for a few hours :)
[smg id=5519 type=link align=center width=500 caption="2013 02 02 00011"]

Dweller_Benthos

I saw that High Tides thing and figured I'd redeem it because it's free, even though I can't play coop, but whenever I hit the download button, it just takes me to the download page for the 1.04 patch?
D_B

Art Blade

Dweller_Benthos

Nope, clicking on the download link in the Uplay screen takes me here http://far-cry.ubi.com/fc-portal/en-US/downloads/index.aspx

I'll probably grab that tomorrow at w@&k, though I don't know why, as I'll never play co-op unfortunately.
D_B

Art Blade

by "not any more" I meant that you now got a different link I posted which should immediately start the download :)

Jim di Griz

They are fun, aren't they. I'd forgotted to mention the warrior skins for the characters too. I like Mikhail's the most.

I'm glad the DLC stayed free for the rest of you folks  :)

Dweller_Benthos

Quote from: Art Blade on February 03, 2013, 05:13:52 PM
by "not any more" I meant that you now got a different link I posted which should immediately start the download :)

Ah, I see, much obliged.
D_B

Tags:
🡱 🡳