FC3 weird outcomes

Started by PZ, January 05, 2013, 10:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

I just did the drug field mission and had a strange outcome:

Spoiler
If you already know how this one comes out, you know that you need to use a RPG to blow up the drug boat before it leaves the area.

I had a strange experience.  Instead of going in the way you are expected to go, I took up high spots over the lower fields and the docks at the beach.  Using a Z93, I took out everyone and then went back to burn the fields, which was a successful operation for all 5 fields.  However, when I burned the last field, instead of receiving the message to go to the village to clear it out, I received the mission complete prompt, and the message to go to talk with Willis.

fragger

Interesting... I'll be up to that mission in the near future, I'm going to try doing what you did and see what happens. Sounds like you found a way to circumvent the usual series of events!

JRD

It may be that while the fields are burning and you attack the village by the sea, you trigger one pirate to pilot the drug boat but since you've killed them all before burning the dope....... there was nobody left to pilot!

Interesting outcome indeed!  :-X
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

durian

He who understands others is intelligent
He who understands himself is wise (Tao Te Ching)

PZ

Quote from: JRD on January 06, 2013, 06:23:19 AM
It may be that while the fields are burning and you attack the village by the sea, you trigger one pirate to pilot the drug boat but since you've killed them all before burning the dope....... there was nobody left to pilot!

Interesting outcome indeed!  :-X

That might be it!  I actually had placed mines on the dock before I went back to burn the fields.  Never heard any unaccounted for explosions, but you never know.

fragger

I too had an odd outcome for the drug field mission.

Spoiler
I followed PZ's lead and tried to eliminate all the bad guys from high up before torching the fields, but I found that I couldn't finish them all off. Two of them would always keep respawning, one from each of two particular huts in the village. I did accidentally burn one field earlier when a wild round touched off an exploding barrel while I was trying to nail a running pirate. Before that I'd scanned the dock and no boat was visible, but once a field was burning the boat appeared along with that charging guy at the end of the dock. I sniped him from the high ground, he went down and didn't get back up.

Once I'd gotten to the point where I was having to fend off just the two recurring bad guys, I went down onto the dock and laid a few mines. While I was there, I shot the pilot of the boat. He fell out onto the dock and the boat's motor immediately stopped. I'd also noticed that during the entire shooting match, no heavy had appeared. More on him in a bit.

So I went back to the fields, being hassled by the two respawnees as I went. Once the last field had been burned I got the prompt to go to the dock and blow up the boat with the RPG. So I went running down to the dock - without anyone to drive it, the boat was just sitting there. As soon as I set foot on the dock, it blew up by itself! Mission accomplished... and going to the end of the dock, who did I find dead in the shack? The heavy! He hadn't been there earlier when I'd gone down there to plant the mines.

So I don't know if the boat blew up because: a) there was no longer any pilot, so the program decided that since the boat couldn't go anywhere the mission was over and thus boat should go boom, or; b) the heavy spawned at the end of the dock when the last field was burned and set off one of the mines, blowing up himself and the boat. I did notice that one of the mines I'd planted was gone - the one right next to the boat. The other two were still in place.

It seems that this mission has a flexible conclusion :-()

PZ

Excellent story fragger; I must try your method to see if it works for me.
Spoiler

Did you go to the yellow dot that marks the beginning of the drug field mission before you went to the village?  I did not, but went into the area from seaside so the entire time I was working in the village, the yellow mission destination marker was still on the map.  Man, I wish you could do these missions repeatedly.  I'd like more time to experiment.

fragger

Cheers :)

Spoiler
I came overland and went to the initial dot first and did the test burn on that isolated crop before doing the rest of the stuff. Next time I'll try the approach from the sea :)

Art Blade

that mission went wrong two times, both the first and the second playthrough. I haven't got to it in my third, though.. I could not get the damn fields to burn so the game recognised the mission goals, I burnt it down for who knows how long, enemies kept respawning all the time, and just the fields alone took me more than half an hour, both times. I had to reload/restart from last checkpoint more than once in order to get the damn thing sorted. And I too noticed those two endlessly respawning two guys between village and fields. Furthermore, the whole village kept respawning until I reached the boat.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

That's bizarre ???? And sounds bloody annoying.

How did you torch the fields? I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think the game expects you to either use the flame-thrower on the crops (not, say, molotovs or fire arrows) or shoot the exploding barrels next to each crop. I tried doing the crops with molotovs once and they didn't seem to catch properly.

But then, that respawning business indicates that something's wrong somewhere :-\\

durian

I too had the same problem with the baddies kept respawning in my 1st playthrough. I ran around shot baddies with my AK and they kept respawning. I eventually ran out of ammo. I had to replay that mission.
He who understands others is intelligent
He who understands himself is wise (Tao Te Ching)

PZ

I had a problem on one play through as well - don't recall if it was on console or PC.  However it was different than you chaps - when looking through the scope of my sniper, I was weaving so much there was no chance to draw a bead on a target, and the hold still key/button did not help.  It was as if I was trying to shoot after consuming a case of liquor.

Jim di Griz

That's because you were stoned PZ - all that burning green around you  ^-^

I think a similar situation happened in Vietnam when the US military confiscated all the weed and hash from the troops and burned it on a hillside next to one of the rear bases - the smoke blew over the camp and subequently they were all very stoned for the rest of that day - not sure if that's a wishfull thinking urban myth though  ;)

Sounds like they just had it in for you Art.
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer  - Major Holdridge
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

PZ

:laugh:  :-X
Yeah, but a mission restart cleared my head!

Art Blade

how many hours did it take you to realise a mission start might be appropriate, then?  :-()
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Jim di Griz

Me, I carried on walking around, groovin' to the tunes and enjoying the buzz - just popping the respawners occasionally to keep it all flowing  ^-^
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer  - Major Holdridge

Art Blade

far out, man, groovy  :-D :-X

Jim di Griz

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on January 09, 2013, 09:34:39 AM
how many hours did it take you to realise a mission start might be appropriate, then?  :-()

It was immediate; I knew even a game with the kind of flaws we see in FC3 couldn't possibly have that as a reasonable function  :-()

Art Blade

and here I was hoping to read something along the lines of "I don't remember, I guess I was too stoned."  :-D

PZ

Art Blade

next time we'll send you to a poppy field  :-D

Jim di Griz

Definitely more in keeping with the Alice in Wonderland theme  :-()

Art Blade

I think I'd prefer a Mary Poppy.. err, Poppins, theme.

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on January 10, 2013, 10:45:11 AM
next time we'll send you to a poppy field  :-D

The Wizard of Oz! (on the way to the Emerald City)  ^-^

Tags:
🡱 🡳