weird glitch

Started by Binnatics, December 27, 2012, 05:13:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fragger

:laugh: PZ

Yeah, you really do have to wonder what the reasoning is behind decisions like that. Common sense should have told them that it would be a hugely unpopular move ????

That reasoning must be something along the lines of, "Well, we don't want to spoil our customers too much in case they get accustomed to a level of quality and workmanship which we'll be compelled to keep providing, so what can we do to keep their future expectations of us a bit lower? How about stuffing them around in the saved game department? Plus we'll hold back on a string of whopping patches until after the release date and put in a mess of annoying little program glitches, just to make sure our reputation doesn't get too stellar".

PZ

This is likely how they made the decision:

Quote from: Ubisoft think tank...just think how grateful gamers will be once we go back to the old FC2 save method in FC4; we can market it as a new and exciting feature!

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Just paid a visit to fragger's location on the tiny island.  I did not see a diamond marker on the map, either before or after I picked up 4 other chests in the same area.  I have not purchased any maps in this play through.  Perhaps it is a bug in your saved game, or perhaps a bug on the game.  Who knows, it might be related to the crashing some of you are experiencing.

Just as an aside, when I'm on OWG, playing games, or almost any activity I'm using a limited account in Vista-64.  To install anything I use an administrator account (not run as administrator) because I have had issues in the past where a folder or two did not have the correct permissions when I used a limited account to install the game.  I mention this only for those that might have problems when using admin versus limited accounts.

ahhh... brings back fond memories of FC2, but also a few harrowing ones with mercs in gunboats chasing me  :-()
[smg id=5460 width=400 align=center]

Before collecting the 4 area chests...
[smg id=5461 width=400 align=center]

...after
[smg id=5462 width=400 align=center]

fragger

Now that you mention it PZ, I think the phantom diamond did pop up only after I'd bought the Badtown maps.

PZ

That's what you get for being honest, fragger - you should have stole the map like any good merc  >:D

fragger

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Dweller_Benthos

Just ran into the same area last night, while testing the latest useless "bug fix" from Ubi about my crash problem (ooooh, try reinstalling the video drivers, that might w@&k, right, like I didn't already try that?) anyway, in between crashes, I made it to that area, used some C4 on the obviously ancient and priceless archaeologically interesting ruins to get at the two loot drops there, then found the other two around the island, where there was a guy mourning over the two dead bodies of his friends, but he didn't seem to mind when I ransacked their bodies for more loot, then I went out onto the island, and there is nothing there. I did buy the loot maps so I think it's a glitch with the maps, as it doesn't show on the minimap in game.

Then it crashed again and I gave up for the night.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

All that crashing is ridiculous  :D

mandru

It makes no sense D_B.  :-(

We have virtually the same system.  I've only had one case where the game shut down on me and that was at the 11.5 hour mark of a long session.  Then it booted right back up for another few hours with no further issue.  The absence of personal stats in FC3 make it so I can't state the total hours in the game but I'll bet I'm easily pushing 200.  :-\\
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Binnatics

I found out someting about another weird glitch I'm experiencing:
Whenever I start the game I get a "dang!!" Error message telling me the program could not locate the file called "kernelbase.dll" and needs to close. The game actually never closes and runs fine all the time. When I try to access Ubi though (shift-f2 usually) for stats or invites it is unreachable. I found out that this functionality is influenced by the access to that file.
I think I happened 3 or 4 times to get access to Ubi in game, when occasionally the game did NOT prompt me the error message at startup. Once Ubi was off line and I chose to start the game in off line modus. Guess what: no error message.
All I did to stop this from happening (I want it to stop because Ubi community can come in handy when playing on line) did not make any difference; I reinstalled my gfx driver, I reinstalled the game, I bought a new PSU (that helped get some minor weird issues go away I had on my PC but it did not influence the game) and I even tried to download and copy-paste the file in my system32 folder. All useless. The game can't run with the ubi-community functionality, which is so weird...

Something else: sometimes a AI character starts to vibrate between 2 points. It looks like you see it double, as a drunk man, but slightly vibrating. I thought it would be gone after the reinstall (everything runs a lot smoother after that) but no. I even think it started after bug-fix 1.04 ::)

I won't be getting started about weird glitches in on line coop. Don't be surprised if you suddenly turn into some sort of lead-magnet, sucking up all the bullets in favour of your teammates, or when you suddenly blow up like you were cooking a grenade. Other things that happen are 'interaction bugs' or 'endless aim bugs'. I've also come across teammates that start to shoot and can't stop. Like they have an endless magazine size. Very funny ::)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

fragger

I very, very occasionally get that endless shooting thing happening in SP, as though the trigger gets stuck :-() Hitting the fire button a couple of times stops it. Also once I engaged a vending machine and the menu kept scrolling rapidly with all entries selecting themselves one ofter another, again like I was holding down a key.  Pushing the "down arrow" key a few times stopped it, even though I know it wasn't the key that was causing it. That one only ever happened once ????

mandru

You've got a gun that won't stop firing?  Ok, you take point.  :-D
- mandru

PZ

Jim di Griz

Quote from: mandru  on January 16, 2013, 11:54:40 AM
...The absence of personal stats in FC3 make it so I can't state the total hours in the game but I'll bet I'm easily pushing 200.  :-\\
On the PS3 version, so I'm guessing it's the same elsewhere, when you go to launch the game, under 'Continue' you have the picture showing what part of the game you are currently at - it says how many hours for that save on the upper right. Then on the individual saves it says the same thing, usually with a slight difference between the 'autosave' and 'save 1' or 2.

That auto fire in co-op can be annoying alright. Good tip about the keys - I was switching weapon just to get it to stop, except for yesterday on the DLC co-op maps where I used the autofire to take out three snipers - not easy with a wildly bucking U100.
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer  - Major Holdridge
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

fragger

Quote from: mandru  on January 16, 2013, 10:14:14 PM
You've got a gun that won't stop firing?  Ok, you take point.  :-D

:laugh:

mandru

Quote from: Jim di Griz on January 17, 2013, 02:08:14 AM

... under 'Continue' you have the picture showing what part of the game you are currently at - it says how many hours for that save on the upper right. Then on the individual saves it says the same thing, usually with a slight difference between the 'autosave' and 'save 1' or 2.

So I've got 145 hrs under continue and 34 hours under Save 1 which I quit using as soon as I realized it was making me lose ground if used improperly.

Funny it seemed like I'd played a lot more.  Though I'd still like a running tally of how many kills friend/foe I've made as well as other vital stats.  ;)

Under the topic of glitches I went in again for the fifth or sixth time last night to to size up the layout of the four areas for the power plant for the Black Gold mission. When I was leaving I decided to grab the .50 cal truck that's just inside the front gate and for an hour or so used it to terrorize the countryside and provoking the privateers at the airport and the canyon bridge.

Freewheeling around I was on a straight stretch in broad daylight with no other vehicles anywhere nearby and Boom!  Like a vengeful Fist of God I was dead.  There was no dieing animation, no wreck, no twisted screaming metal or any explanation what so ever of what had happened.

After a quick reload I was stuffed back in one of my captured outposts stripped of my joyride and wondering what the hell was that?  ???
- mandru

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah, strange about the crash issues I have, I tried everything in the Ubi forums that suggest all sorts of weird things - except playing in offline mode - I've tried in safe mode, with themes turned off, etc, but not offline. I will have to try that this weekend or tonight if I get a chance. Thing is, since your save games are on the cloud, can you load a save in offline mode?
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

mandru

:knockout

Sorry no help here on that I just loaded it, got past the first barrage of updates and from then on played it as if I'd stole it.
- mandru

Art Blade

I'm posting here right after reading quoted post because I want to reply to it before reading on starting with the next post after the one quoted. :)

Quote from: mandru  on January 16, 2013, 11:54:40 AMThe absence of personal stats in FC3 make it so I can't state the total hours in the game but I'll bet I'm easily pushing 200.  :-\\

There is a total game time stats (next to others of your personal stats). Check the handbook,down right corner is a button "statistics." There are more stats if you check your coop profile (don't need to play that).

Art Blade

Quote from: mandru  on January 17, 2013, 07:32:50 AMSo I've got 145 hrs under continue and 34 hours ... Funny it seemed like I'd played a lot more

I have three different careers so they'll all add up. On steam it says I'm now playing for more than 500 hours.  :-D

Art Blade

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on January 17, 2013, 08:10:00 AMThing is, since your save games are on the cloud, can you load a save in offline mode?

Not tested that as my game runs smoothly. I remember we had a save game discussion. The files are only a few k big. Oh, and k as in kb. If that's all, why need a cloud? My guess: a bigger matching file is on the cloud and both w@&k together as one whole savegame.

mandru

Quote from: Art Blade on January 17, 2013, 09:45:42 AM

...Check the handbook,down right corner is a button "statistics."...

Cool, thanks Art that's just what I wanted.  :-X
- mandru

Art Blade

Tags:
🡱 🡳