FC3: Tips and Tricks

Started by Art Blade, December 07, 2012, 11:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fragger

Well, I couldn't help myself - I got home from my first day back at w@&k after my vacation and had to fire up a new playthrough of FC3.

I'm going about it the same way as last time - leave all towers and outposts undone, except for the tutorial ones. I much prefer it this way as you really need to save up and find loot chests, do races etc. to get the money up and buy your weapons, as opposed to having them handed to you on a platter. Instead of having an overabundance of cash, it instead becomes a matter of scrimping and saving. I really feel as though I'm earning my guns this way and it's a lot more satisfying when I finally get my mitts on some good weapons. Those tower freebies make it way too easy imho.

It also means a largely blank map and fewer fast travel points, but that just adds to the challenge - of finding relics and loot chests, and the right areas to hunt specific animals. Once you go see Citra and later get to Badtown, that's two more fast travel points unlocked on the opposite side of the north island anyway. Between those and Amanaki Village, the doc's place and the tutorial outpost, you can access the rest of the island without too much travelling.

I really think it would have been better if interacting with the towers merely unlocked weapons, like the way the convoy missions in FC2 did, but still required you to get the dough together to actually buy them once they were unlocked.

PZ

I know what you mean, fragger.  I start a play through and do various activities eventually getting through all of the main missions, and do not complete all of the side activities.  I do all of the outposts because they are my favorite thing in the game because they are open world, but have only done a handful of the Rakyat trials.

One thing I have enjoyed is to deploy the mod that makes the southern island available even when you have not completed the northern missions.  That way I feel the game is even more open world.

Binnatics

Quote from: fragger on March 16, 2013, 05:02:38 AM
I really think it would have been better if interacting with the towers merely unlocked weapons, like the way the convoy missions in FC2 did, but still required you to get the dough together to actually buy them once they were unlocked.

I completely agree on that. I think it's another example of a devs team too big to have everybody undertstand what the heck the rest of the team is doing, like "You are making so many loot chests? Why, is that decoration? Oh, whatever, I won't bother you, I pretty darn busy myself connecting weapon unlocks to radio-towers."  ^-^
AND the lack of proper testing again ;)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

mandru

I don't know if this has been covered but the wingsuit will cut your descent speed enough to allow safe landings in water that's deep enough without requiring parachute deployment.

I've found this useful for stealth approaches for Wanted Dead mission targets on islands or shorelines.  I can cliff jump or drop from a very high altitude hang glider* and use the open and close feature (L Shift key on PC) of the wingsuit as an additional steering control (long/short rate of drop) though you do want to be sure the suit is engaged before you hit the water.

Once you're in the water there's a moment of confusion where your character gets his bearings before you regain control but then you can choose to use the mini-map/full map to orient for approach or pop up to the surface briefly to eyeball your objective placement then duck back underwater and stroke for shore to ensure a covert landfall.

I guess this tactic would be called a splashdown.  Is it even possible to land in the water?  ????   That sounds like too much of an oxymoron if you stop and think about it.

And by thinking about it I'm thinking I've been spending too much time reading the journal updates from the guy in the white suit.  ::)

*It kind of kicks HALO to the curb, eh?  I call it HANO.  High Altitude No Opening!  >:D
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

Hahaha, well, it is exchangeable. There is both "water landing" and "watering land" :-()

However, I love the wingsuit for rushing along a river or shore until contact. Just make sure there is not a single rock or tree where you're going to go down. Kind of annoying to do a five mile drop just to end up flossing with tree trunks.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

Yeah.  ???

I see your point Art.  That single rock could really spoil Jason Brody's day.  :-D
- mandru

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Hacko

:laugh:

Flossing with tree trunks...nice one Art. :-X

Art Blade

Binnatics

I am a bit confused steering the parachute. It seems almost unmanageable?? You can turn left and right, but I can't manage to steer farther down or 'up' to slide farther forward without loosing hight. I thought to remember it was possible to do so, just like in GTA IV, but didn't manage. Any ideas?
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

"to steer farther down ... without loosing hight" -- it is physically impossible to do otherwise  :) "or 'up' to slide farther forward" that is equally impossible -- ok, a plane can go up and forward but you don't have an engine and this is no thermic gliding. Gliding basically means to go down and forward. If you go up, you will "break" or stall but not go forward much. if you go down, you will accelerate. So, don't do anything but glide forward and steer left or right to get where you want to. Pull up to decelerate and down to accelerate. :)

Binnatics

I should have known you needed a more extensive explanation there 8-X ::)

What I refer to with 'up' and 'down' are the possibilities to adjust the angle of descent. In GTA IV, you can reach farther by pressing the 'down-key' ("s" in my case). Your character will then stretch, feet first, and probably adjust the air inlet and/or outbound of its parachute. The angle of descent will get closer to horizontal and thus you reach farther than normal before actual landing. By pressing the 'up-key' you go in a more head-first position and make the parachute change position in a way that the airflow inside goes quicker, making you descent faster, closer to a vertical movement.
These extra controls are pretty handy when managing yourself to the landing spot of your choice. Plus you can time your landing.

I missed that type of control in FC3 when using a chute, and wasn't sure if it was me forgetting something (I thought that I had these controls during my first playthrough but wasn't sure) or the program refusing to make something possible.  ;)

mandru

I find the controls for the parachute to be pretty clumsy.  The wing suit has better steering control though it eats up altitude much faster.  I try to hold off on popping the chute until the last second if I can't make a wing suit water landing and skip the chute all together.  Too bad really, considering the excellent job UBI did improving the hang gliders. 

Now if I could just get a small jet engine mounted on one of these gliders.  "Whoo boy, good stuff".  :-D
- mandru

fragger

I've found that if I hold the "down" control while parachuting (or whatever key you mapped for "dive" while wingsuiting), I will slow while moving in the forward direction and come down more vertically while still being able to turn, then as soon as I let go of the control I will move forward quickly again. I've also noticed that whenever Jason gets close to the ground he does a sort of struggle and there is a kind of rippling noise, like material billowing. If I hit and hold "down" as soon as that movement and noise starts, I will usually land cleanly and gently instead of tumbling and grunting.

Incidentally, my controls for wingsuit/parachute maneuvering are the default W/A/S/D, with S for dive/down. At least, I think those are the defaults.

Binnatics

Quote from: mandru on April 05, 2013, 09:30:43 AM
I find the controls for the parachute to be pretty clumsy.  The wing suit has better steering control though it eats up altitude much faster.  I try to hold off on popping the chute until the last second if I can't make a wing suit water landing and skip the chute all together.  Too bad really, considering the excellent job UBI did improving the hang gliders. 

Now if I could just get a small jet engine mounted on one of these gliders.  "Whoo boy, good stuff".  :-D

:laugh:

Totally agree with your opinion. I also like the improvements to the glider. I use it a lot, because it's also a fast way of travelling.

I'll check again Fragger, you might be right. I've also noticed the somewhat cutscene-like movement when approaching the earth, will see if that also works for me :-X

Dweller_Benthos

Quote from: Art Blade on April 04, 2013, 04:44:39 PM
"to steer farther down ... without loosing {height}" -- it is physically impossible to do otherwise  :)

... except over a place called "the compound" on the south island. If you haven't done that mission yet, I guess. I came upon it, and finding no way in to get the loot inside, climbed the hill next to it, jumped and deployed wingsuit, then parachute. I floated over the compound area, only to find I couldn't land, a mysterious force drove me back and up, away from the area until I finally landed outside the forbidden area.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

Hehe, D_B, happened to me too.  :-D

Guys, I found out how to get your unlimited ammo back (thinking particularly of you, mandru  ^-^ )

1) For non-steam users, go to the FC3 shortcut and open the properties with a right click on the icon, then edit the path just the way we did it with FC2  :-D
"HD:\games\Far Cry 3\bin\farcry3.exe" -GameProfile_UnlimitedAmmo 1 (at least that is what my FC2 folders looked like, but you'll certainly find your fc3 ".exe" :)

Needless to say, but hey.. some of the other FC2 cheats w@&k just the same.. check out ignore player, god mode (animals don't seem to consider you a god, though, but they do ignore you for not being one  :-() )

2) For steam users - fire up steam, click on library, check your games to the left hand side, FarCry3, right click it (not the start game button but the entry to the left where all your games are) and select properties -> the first tab, general, click on the "set launch options" button and fill in -GameProfile_UnlimitedAmmo 1 and click "OK" - then launch your game as usual.  :)

mandru

(mandru does happy dance  ^-^  )

Most excellent find Art +1 for you.  :-X

I did a quick check and it works like a charm.  Now I'll need to check some of the other command line edits like the one for god  mode to see if they are also functional.  >:D  >:D  >:D

Grenades and Molotovs still deplete but the grenade launcher remains topped off and the ripper never goes empty though there are magazine changes each time the current empties.  :laugh:

- mandru

Binnatics

:-X Good find! :)

I checked again, Fragger, and you are right. You can make the whole descent thing go faster by pressing forward button and by pressing backward button you descent slower with less forward speed too. Handy if you know what to expect :-X ^-^

Art Blade

Thanks, guys :)

Quote from: Binnatics on April 07, 2013, 07:18:05 AMI checked again, Fragger, and you are right.
Funny, you checked exactly what I said before him:
Quote from: Art Blade on April 04, 2013, 04:44:39 PMPull up to decelerate and down to accelerate. :)
Quote from: Binnatics on April 05, 2013, 09:07:10 AMI should have known you needed a more extensive explanation there 8-X ::)
I thought just the same about you, then  :) I said "pull up" which equals "backwards" using the keyboard and "down" which equals "forward". I used terms that are used for example steering a helicopter.

Anyway. Now that with different words and various checks the same result has been approved, we may conclude: No matter what we do, we'll always go down more or less graceful  :-()

Binnatics

....... I guess you're right then, after all ;D

Anyway, I don't like the movement controls of a chute, indeed the hangglider is much more appreciated :-X

mandru

From my understanding and what I've seen regarding parachute controls a hard reef on either the left or right control lines should set into motion a much tighter turn to the indicated side than can even be accomplished by a hang glider.  Modern chutes are even more nimble than the ones that were in use 30 years ago when I was interested and investigating skydiving.

The turns with a chute in FC3 are terribly slow and lumbering instead of the brisk and invigorating turns you would expect from an accurate simulation.
- mandru

Art Blade

it's not a trick, it's a UBI :)

regarding the command line cheats, sometimes the game resets some of them (apparently after some mission episodes) -- just quit to desktop and start over, they'll all w@&k again. They haven't failed me during missions, only after a few. What I do is fire a few rounds and reload. If the count stays the same, all is good, else, QTD and restart :)

mandru

- mandru

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on April 07, 2013, 06:22:55 AM
Hehe, D_B, happened to me too.  :-D

Guys, I found out how to get your unlimited ammo back (thinking particularly of you, mandru  ^-^ )

1) For non-steam users, go to the FC3 shortcut and open the properties with a right click on the icon, then edit the path just the way we did it with FC2  :-D
"HD:\games\Far Cry 3\bin\farcry3.exe" -GameProfile_UnlimitedAmmo 1 (at least that is what my FC2 folders looked like, but you'll certainly find your fc3 ".exe" :)

Needless to say, but hey.. some of the other FC2 cheats w@&k just the same.. check out ignore player, god mode (animals don't seem to consider you a god, though, but they do ignore you for not being one  :-() )

2) For steam users - fire up steam, click on library, check your games to the left hand side, FarCry3, right click it (not the start game button but the entry to the left where all your games are) and select properties -> the first tab, general, click on the "set launch options" button and fill in -GameProfile_UnlimitedAmmo 1 and click "OK" - then launch your game as usual.  :)

Excellent w@&k, AB; +1!  :-X

Tags:
🡱 🡳