Movies set in Europe

Started by PZ, June 14, 2012, 09:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Among my favorite moves are those that are set in Europe.  A short list includes:

• [imdb]Chocolat[/imdb]
  • [imdb]Under the Tuscan Sun[/imdb]
  • [imdb]Letters to Juliet[/imdb]
These are set in places that I've visited or would like to visit, and aside from the plot, the visuals of the local areas are splendid.
Anyone know of more movies along the lines of these?

Fiach

WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

PZ

Thanks Fiach!  Just added them to my Netflix queue  ;)

Binnatics

[imdb]La vita e bella[/imdb]

And, for if you've ever visited Amsterdam, try this one:
[imdb]Amsterdamned[/imdb]
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

Jim di Griz

There are absolutely hundreds which I can't think of right now  :)

If you like atmospheric that includes scenery, then the following are options to consider - though they are a bit on the grim side of life.

How Harry became a Tree - set in Ireland around the 40s with some well know faces in there.
16 Years of Alchohol - not so much scenery but it is very atmospheric and evocative of Edinburgh.
Angel A - more Luc Besson
District 13 - parkour film set in Paris, well, some wrecked bits of Paris.
Dead Snow - other than the Nazi zombies in Norway, there's lots of snow and open vistas.
Wings of Desire aka Der Himmel Über Berlin - black and white by choice. Set in Berlin during the 80s - even features Nick Cave and Peter Falk as himself.
Harry Brown - Michael Caine in a very evocative story about a pensioner living in the midst of London's inner city slums.
Withnail & I - if you want some comedy with your bits of scenery.

Like I say, there are loads more which I can't recall the titles of right now - if I do remember any I'll let you know - trouble is, I have more Japanese films than Euro ones...sorry.
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer  - Major Holdridge

Fiach

If you want an irish film.  it has to be The Commitments! :)

Jim di Griz

Nah The Van for me, or Intermission - Cillian Murphy, Colm Meaney and Colin Farrell. That film made me try tea with brown sauce in it... :laugh:
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer  - Major Holdridge

PZ

Lots of things to add to my queue - thanks guys - kudos to all!  :-X

Fiach

Quote from: Jim di Griz on June 15, 2012, 03:03:55 PM
Nah The Van for me, or Intermission - Cillian Murphy, Colm Meaney and Colin Farrell. That film made me try tea with brown sauce in it... :laugh:

I dont think I saw the van, I'll check it out, Intermission was pretty cool too :)

Jim di Griz

Thanks for the kudos PZ and no worries.

The Van is the second in the same 'trilogy' I think - well worth it. The last is The Snapper, all adapted from Roddy Doyle stories.

Fiach

I've seen the snapper, I liked it alot, I would have recommended it, but I think the humour is pretty localised and wouldnt travel very well :(

Binnatics

I've seen both the commitments and the van. Great movies. Makes me think of another movie which I can't remember the name of... It treats about the IRA and shows the life and struggle of a ruthless gangster in that IRA conflict. It's a shame I can't remember the tittle and not even the actor's name I'm thinking of. I like him. He has a huge scar in his round face, and has a funny look. I remember he played in another movie (American movie I guess) where he pretended to be a crippled guy. He faked the whole crew and got away with whatever they were trying to steal.

Anyway; here's another must-see. Also Irish if I'm correct. [imdb]Trainspotting[/imdb] It's a great movie about the life of a heroin junk.

And of course: [imdb]La Haine.[/imdb] Impressing French movie
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Fiach

Quote from: Binnatics on June 16, 2012, 04:13:05 PM
I've seen both the commitments and the van. Great movies. Makes me think of another movie which I can't remember the name of... It treats about the IRA and shows the life and struggle of a ruthless gangster in that IRA conflict. It's a shame I can't remember the tittle and not even the actor's name I'm thinking of. I like him. He has a huge scar in his round face, and has a funny look. I remember he played in another movie (American movie I guess) where he pretended to be a crippled guy. He faked the whole crew and got away with whatever they were trying to steal.

Anyway; here's another must-see. Also Irish if I'm correct. [imdb]Trainspotting[/imdb] It's a great movie about the life of a heroin junk.

And of course: [imdb]La Haine.[/imdb] Impressing French movie

I mentioned La Haine in my list, its a great movie :)

I think you may mean Kevin Spacey, the irish movie I think may have been Ordinary Decent Criminal

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0160611/

I think the other may have been The Usual Suspects.

He played a real life dublin gangster called The General who tried to take over the drugs market among other things from the IRA and was killed (supposedly) by them.

There is a better version of that story called The General  with Brendan Gleeson in the main role

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120706/

IIRC Trainspotting is a scottish movie, also a brilliant movie, good taste mate :)

Jim di Griz

That's right Fiach, correct on both counts, Usual Suspects and Ordinary Decent Criminal - Kevin Spacey in a remake of The General. Both were good, though Spacey's accent was a little odd.

Brendan Gleeson is brilliant in most films I've seen him do, versatile too - getting quite popular these days, popping up all over the place. I still remember The Tale of Sweety Barret and In Bruges - this latter one is also a contender for your films set in Europe list PZ. I will say that the language is extremely ripe, nonetheless it is extremeley funny, though un-politically correct as can be.

Fiach

Quote from: Jim di Griz on June 17, 2012, 01:25:25 AM
That's right Fiach, correct on both counts, Usual Suspects and Ordinary Decent Criminal - Kevin Spacey in a remake of The General. Both were good, though Spacey's accent was a little odd.

Brendan Gleeson is brilliant in most films I've seen him do, versatile too - getting quite popular these days, popping up all over the place. I still remember The Tale of Sweety Barret and In Bruges - this latter one is also a contender for your films set in Europe list PZ. I will say that the language is extremely ripe, nonetheless it is extremeley funny, though un-politically correct as can be.

Speaking of remakes and Brendan Gleeson, there is a movie with Liam Neeson called Michael Collins, its not a bad movie as such, (Julia Roberts doesnt help its case much), but its based in the same period of an RTE TV Movie called The Treaty, in which Brendan Gleeson plays the part of Michael Collins :

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0190088/

Also, if you are interested, Brendans sons are incredibly talented actors, check out Brian in Love/Hate a mini series based on Dublin gangland, series three is currently in post production.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1625724/

Also his son Domhnall played Bob Geldof in the movie When Harvey met Bob.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1692945/

Jim di Griz

Cheers mate, I like me a bit of Irish film. I'll have to look out for those!

Binnatics

:D Kevin Spacey, How could I not know :angel:

You're right Fiach, those were the movies I was thinking about.  :-X

PZ

Man, you chaps certainly are knowledgeable; now I have an ample list!  :-X

Fiach

Quote from: Binnatics on June 17, 2012, 07:15:24 AM
:D Kevin Spacey, How could I not know :angel:

You're right Fiach, those were the movies I was thinking about.  :-X

it's no big deal, even a broken clock can get the time right, twice a day :)

Art Blade

In Bruges with Collin Farell
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780536/

The Italian Job with Mark Wahlberg
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0317740/

The Bourne Identity with Matt Damon
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0258463/

By the way, Jim.. Angel A.. hehe, nice mentioning that one, lovely flick  :-X  :)
Edit:
Jim already mentioned In Bruges. I provide the link, tho  :-()
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Jim di Griz

Cheers on two counts there Art - also, how could I forget the classic Italian Job! Or indeed Mr Damon's breakout movie into the A-list scene...good suggestions.

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Quote from: Fiach on June 14, 2012, 11:19:10 PM
Manon de Sources and Jean de Floret (they are a prequel and sequel)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091480/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091288/

Just watched this duo and they are winners  :-X

Fiach

COOL!!!!  :-X

erm....what did I win????  >:D

Tags:
🡱 🡳