Update: Realistic Weapons Mod 1.1 released!

Started by TheFishlord, March 09, 2012, 07:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheFishlord

Version 1.1 ready for release!

Main changes:
-Explosives follow their real world counterparts much more closely. Rockets and grenades travel as fast as they should.
-Some experimentation with ammo carrying capacity.
-Some mercs now use flamethrowers.  >:D You do not want to tangle with these guys at close range.
-Some merc snipers now use the AS50.
-Weapons are much more reliable. They will jam just as often but they will last a lot longer - most cases, about ten times as long. I tried to extend their lifetime as far to the real guns as I could, without making it utterly impossible to wear them out.
-Tweaks to recoil, damage, and accuracy.

New link on Gamefront: http://www.gamefront.com/files/21433553/Far+Cry+2+Realistic+Weapons+Mod+1.1.zip

And on OWG: http://www.openworldgames.org/owg/forums/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=166

Old versions below.

QuoteWell, the OWG upload system isn't working, so here's the link on Filefront: http://www.gamefront.com/files/21412997/Realistic+Weapons+Pack+1.0.zip

And here is the description I'm going to put in, once the site figures itself out:

Spoiler
I am proud to present my latest creative w@&k...

Far Cry 2's Realistic Weapons Pack 1.0

Install instructions: Extract the .zip folder to anywhere you want. Take the patch.fat and patch.dat files, place them in your DataWin32 folder inside your Far Cry 2 directory and overwrite what's in there (save a backup!)

What you need: Far Cry 2 patch 1.03.

Note: This mod was built on a hybrid Steam-Retail version of FC2. It will definitely w@&k on the steam version, not sure about the retail, give me some feedback.

The aim of this mod is to add variety and realism, and create an overall more satisfying experience. Although I have not put everything I wanted to into effect yet, there are general patterns I am going for, and I hope you will see. Here are some general notes on what's different. You can find the full list of specific changes of this release in the "FC2 Changelog" document in the download. You can also see some of the primitive ballistics calculations and notes I made to figure out some of the changes to make.

1. Weapons are generally much more deadly. Due to the unethical nature of the conflict in FC2, the weapons are assumed to be using a range of ammunition - from military match standard to dirt-cheap civilian stuff. In addition the laws of war do not apply - a good number of weapons were probably originally hunting rifles and so use hollow-point ammunition, traditionally outlawed in war. What does this mean? Well...

2. Big calibers like the Russian 7.62x54R are often one shot kills. Small calibers, like the 9x18mm Makarov and the 9mm Parabellum maintain their damage, or are in some cases increased for either balance or realism. (But the AS50's .50 caliber BMG is still overkill.)

3. Weapons are much more varied. You will see mercs using weapons they do not in the stock game, and you will see all weapons at an earlier stage. All pistols, for instance, are found at all times, in varying quantities throughout the game world.

4. Weapon stats have been rebalanced so that all weapons are a viable choice. You want a mid-range, high capacity, high power rifle? FAL. Fully automatic streetsweeper? M16. High power, high ROF CQC weapon? G3.

The pistols are similar - the Makarovs are high reliability, high accuracy, high capacity, long range, low recoil. The .45 is medium recoil, medium power, low range, low accuracy. Desert Eagle is ridiculously high powered, very accurate, but pays for it in nearly unusable recoil and low magazine capacity, as it is in real life. For this reason, though you will find them occasionally, few mercs carry them, as the Desert Eagle is not a practical combat weapon and is more of a trophy.

5. (Not entirely implemented yet) The world does not wait for you to buy weapons to get them. This country has been at war for years, weapons have been pouring in. At the beginning of the game, the Jackal and the lieutenant you fell in with took your papers and identity - you can't get the expensive weapons you thought you would have. The warlords, however, have connections, and have been at this a lot longer. Nearly from the start of the game enemies will be using any weapons they can get their hands on - whether that's the best or the worst in the game.

6. For this reason (and this is implemented somewhat) you may find your best weapons come from dead enemies, not the shop.

7. Magazine capacities have been rebalanced according to what you see in the game - if it looks like it has only 20 round magazine, it now does. Some shotguns only have four (4) shells per magazine, but the USAS12 has 20. The point here is to smooth out some of the rough edges of the game. Fortunately, magazine capacities and the other traits of the guns pretty much naturally balance themselves out in real life as well, so again, all weapons are viable.

8. Accuracy has been tweaked to fit real steel values using mid to high-grade ammunition. For most guns, this means a lot more accuracy. For sniper rifles, this means a lot less, no more laser bullets.

9. Recoil is generally higher than the stock game. Recoil is one factor in weapon balancing that has quite a bit of leeway before it becomes unrealistic, but I've tried to keep as close as possible to real steel values without making some weapons clearly superior to others.

10. There are a few weapons that, because of these changes, are now completely, ridiculously overpowered. The MGL140, for instance, can fire as fast as the cylinder turns and has a 6-shell capacity. One salvo from this weapon can wipe out whole merc compounds in seconds. This may or may not be fun, depending on how you play - but it's pretty realistic, the MGL140 is a nasty weapon in real life.

11. For the most realistic experience, play this mod on Infamous. As the difficulty level goes lower, it will feel more and more arcadish, and it will quickly become extremely easy because of the player's huge health reserve in comparison to his enemies.

And that's it. Questions and suggestions are welcome.

Still in the works:
-Figure out how to mod the DLC weapons
-Merc spawn rate too high, need to lower it somehow
-Increase range of flamethrower
-Balancing w@&k on damage, accuracy, and especially recoil, is always ongoing
-Increase variety of weapons among mercs, fix some spawning bugs

Thanks go to:
-Gibbed, for his modding tools
-chiconspiracy, for his w@&k on the weapons22 file
-Rhynder, for his w@&k in gamemodesconfig
-Knightmare, for his w@&k in hexadecimal code
-nexor, for being my encouragement, tester, forum gofer, and all around supporter
-PZ, and Art Blade, for building and maintaining this community
-Anyone else I ever asked anything of while modding FC2, remind me who you are

Copyright crap: Don't use this in a video, etc, without giving me credit, modify what you want on your own but don't release it as your property. Ask for my permission if you want to build and release your own mod off of this.

Enjoy!  :-X

Art Blade

the upload system isn't working? ???? How big is your file?
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

TheFishlord

8.19 mb, don't know why that would cause a problem... ????

Edit: Uploaded it by putting the Filefront URL in, so it's up now. Strange...

Edit again: Nope that link doesn't w@&k when you click Download now... :D

PZ

The file limit was set at 8 mb, and I just increased it to 10 mb.  You might try again to see if it will now w@&k.  However, in the past, the hosting plan limited the file size, but I now notice that the forum software reports a higher download limit.  I don't know if it will accept higher than 8 mb, but it is worth a try.  ;)

As i read what you've accomplished I must say that you have done a fantastic job - kudos for that!  :-X

Many members do not have the knowledge and expertise to do what you've done, so posting your w@&k will allow many gamers to enjoy FC2 for a long time ti come.  ;)

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

TheStranger

Great, just great! I have to try it as soon as I find the time for it. One of the greatest if not the greatest Far Cry 2 mod in my opinion!

TheFishlord

A quick update, I've been working on explosives, the RPG7 being my guinea pig. I figured out how to change the speed of the projectile and reduced the time delay between the booster firing and the rocket ignition, now it really moves at rocket speed...that is, about 1000km/h (I think the exact number I put in was 1044, according to the real thing).

I'm doing the same to all the grenade launchers and rocket launchers. I still can't figure out how to do anything with the Fortunes Pack weapons, if anyone has any leads on that let me know...

For those who were looking to silence certain weapons, from what I can tell, I believe you will have to go to the Stims section of that weapon in 41_WeaponsProperties and changes their "stim" properties from "Generic" or "Bang" to "None", but I haven't tested it yet so I don't know if that'll do it.

Oh, and I did successfully upload it to OWG's database, so you can find it there from now on  ;)

PZ

Kudos TheFishLord!  :-X

I'll try your mod tonight, and it is great that it is a simple copy of the patch files to the proper game folder.  Now members need to do very little to implement the mods.

A question - are the Act 2  weapons available in Act 1?

UPDATE:  I'm pleased to report that your mod works fine, and I'm using a retail CD version of the game (non-Steam).  It was a seamlessly easy install, just like you instructed.  :-X

For a quick link to TheFishLord's mod - click here

PZ

I just saw a new animation (for me anyway)  My health was down to a single bar, and as such I used a syrette.  To my surprise, I saw an animation that I personally have not seen before, although I'm sure that someone has.  As the animation started, I poked my finger into a bullet hole in my left forearm, and used the finger to completely push the bullet through my arm.

TheFishlord

Quote from: PZ on March 13, 2012, 05:31:52 PM
Kudos TheFishLord!  :-X

I'll try your mod tonight, and it is great that it is a simple copy of the patch files to the proper game folder.  Now members need to do very little to implement the mods.

A question - are the Act 2  weapons available in Act 1?

UPDATE:  I'm pleased to report that your mod works fine, and I'm using a retail CD version of the game (non-Steam).  It was a seamlessly easy install, just like you instructed.  :-X

For a quick link to TheFishLord's mod - click here

I considered putting the Act 2 weapons into Act 1, but I didn't really want the player to get an edge so easily over the AI. The northern district is a bit of a sideshow compared to the southern, so only occasionally do the better weapons find their way there, and only in the hands of the factions - at least that was my reasoning.

So for v1.1 I may make the act 2 weapons available in the north, but in the final version, for the really good weapons you'll have to scavenge off of faction supplies.

And yes, I enabled the healing animations on Infamous, I always felt it was a little too difficult to have the last two bars of health mean nothing at all. I'm still deciding what I want to do with the malaria and the stamina drain it causes...

Some difficulty on the explosives though - the same stats that allow me to edit the speed, range, etc of the RPG7 and Carl Gustav don't appear for weapons like the M79 and the MGL140. They are probably in those massive banks of hexadecimal - I will have to try and decode them.

EDIT: fixed that. Some weapons are in hexadecimal like the mortar, but most are in standard decimal, they were just buried in a different area. Did some quick w@&k on the M79 and MGL before I go to bed.

And I'm glad it works on both steam and retail versions, that was my big concern, and I don't think I could have fixed that without starting over from scratch.  :o

PZ

Now playing at 8% and was driving the Unimog (which mounts a .50 cal).  I approached a guard post south of the villa in Leboa, which is usually unreasonable difficult, and this time the .50 was able to dispatch the mercs in a much more realistic way - one bullet per merc.

It is remarkable how small changes in weapons behavior changes the game in a significant way.  Even though I have run through this particular guard post countless times, it now feels quite different.

nexor

Quote from: TheFishlord on March 13, 2012, 04:48:45 PM

For those who were looking to silence certain weapons, from what I can tell, I believe you will have to go to the Stims section of that weapon in 41_WeaponsProperties and changes their "stim" properties from "Generic" or "Bang" to "None", but I haven't tested it yet so I don't know if that'll do it.

I just changed some of the "bang" to "none" on the AS50, still the same, the ones I didn't change looked like they were for something else, I will do the rest of them and see what happens    :-(

Art Blade

TheFishlord, can you fix the "boot strap tape glitch?"

TheFishlord

Quote from: Art Blade on March 14, 2012, 10:28:52 AM
TheFishlord, can you fix the "boot strap tape glitch?"

I think I know where the bug is but I will have to do a lot of hexadecimal decoding to even figure out what exactly is causing it. It wasn't a high priority for me, but I'll see if I can do anything about it.  :-X

Art Blade

we have a topic with one hundred bazillion posts in it asking to fix it. You'd get a hero reward from a lot of peeps out there if you did it  :-() :-X

PZ

Indeed - the glitch was caused by one of the updates, but because we need v1.03 for the mods to w@&k, we're stuck with the glitch.  Except of course on the console where I reinstalled to the original version and no longer have the glitch.  :-()

nexor

Changed them all, that didn't help, will look at the "generic" ones................. :-\\

Changed all back to "Bang" then changed all "Generic" to "None"  no joy.......... :D :'(

TheFishlord

Version 1.1 released! See first post for DL link and changes.

PZ

TheFishLord, are you planning any kind of vehicles mod?  I'm thinking of the fortunes pack vehicles like the unimog and ATV.  Making these faster and more resistant to damage would be a nice addition to the weapons mod - that way you could outrun the mercs.  Alternately, making the vanilla vehicles a bit slower would accomplish the same.   >:D

TheStranger

Haha nice I thought of a vehicle mod today - and PZ said it all. But maybe there are other things that could be changed concerning the vehicles?

PZ

:laugh:  What a coincidence!  The thought came to me as I was running from the Datsun Dummy on the west side of the bridge in the southeast section of Bowa.  The guy nearly caught me, but I went out of his zone.  :-()

TheFishlord

Workin' on it  :-()

Found some interesting merc behavior sections, I've got to experiment with them a bit.

PZ

Outstanding - can't wait to see what you come up with  :-X

One of the frequent complaints in years past has been how the mercs can chase you down no matter how well you drive.  We need to have some kind of advantage  :-()

nexor

Quote from: TheFishlord on March 15, 2012, 05:12:02 PM
Version 1.1 released! See first post for DL link and changes.

Thanks mate, will check it out  :-X

TheStranger

Quote from: TheFishlord on March 29, 2012, 04:39:58 PM
Workin' on it  :-()

Found some interesting merc behavior sections, I've got to experiment with them a bit.

Man that would be so awesome! :-X

Tags:
🡱 🡳