Operation Flashpoint 2 - Dragon Rising

Started by JRD, March 13, 2009, 03:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

Damn pzrzao... I thought I 'd be the first to post...
Can't mess with the owner hhahahahahahahahahaha

For fans of first person shooters I recommend Operation Flashpoint 2 - Dragon Risin. Out on may 26th

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/operationflashpoint2/news.html?sid=6196275&mode=previews

I played the first OFP back in 2001.... blocky graphics but an amazing gameplay and a huge campaign. You started as a private and make your way up through the game to command a full squad of soldiers, call for tank back up and air strikes.
The story was really immersive and characters were deeply created.
This time they promisse jawdropping graphics, persistent damage models in scenario and a truly realistic war sim.
If you think FC2 world is big.......... think again!
In OFP 1 it was incredibly difficult to shoot a moving target and put it down, but the feeling of doing so was excellent.
Really looking forward to OFP2 DR this month... check these videos out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-GGD8U_z1Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YofVL4UyEM0

Look too good to be true....
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

Impressive... very impressive.  Looks like the next generation of Far Cry 2 - many of the features that people on various forums have asked for and then some.  Need to check this one out too!

spaceboy

Thanks for the links, jrderntl.  I think we talked about this one back on fc2world.  I read about it a few months back and been waiting patiently.  That second video is just incredible.

Fairly sure it's going to have online gameplay, so pzrzao, get your PSN working and we can kick some butt together online.  jrderntl, if I remember correctly you are a PC guy, right?  pzrzao and I are both on PS3.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

JRD

You are right spaceboy, I'm a PC guy... can't play a shooter without a mouse... much better aiming!
I had an old PlayStation 1 many years ago... used to play Tomb Raider, Gran Turismo (my favourite racing game) and Resident Evil a lot.
Now I just play on PCs, which sometimes leaves some good games away from me like you mentioned in other post.... Infamous and Prototype... I've been following previews of those games and they are the kind of fun I'm looking for..... but since you have a huge amount of choices nowadays, I know I won't be left with no fun!!!
Don't play online usually, will try it someday

spaceboy

Despite my Colecovision when I was a kid (ha ha), I started gaming with Duke Nukem on my PC, but the games on PC quickly outpaced my ability to afford a gaming PC.  I too was a tomb raider fan etc. The new one, Underworld, is ok but I haven't played much as I got it Christmas and I was in Africa at the time (FC2). 

I loved several PS2 game series, but my gaming has literally quadrupled since I got the PS3 because now the graphics are at least comparable to PC gaming.  No matter what you use, this high def gaming is a blast.

You should check out online sometime, it can be a real good time.  I played countless hours in Battlefield Bad Company online because playing against other people (and the game's destructible environment) really made a different experience every time.  It is great satisfaction to "outsmart" other real players.  Of course sometimes it devolved into a frag fest, but there were some absolutely incredible moments and all nonscripted.

PZ

I'm looking forward to improving my Internet connection as soon as the weather improves a bit.  Need to get satellite because DSL/cable are not available in my rural area.  We'll hook up online one of these days spaceboy and kick some real a**!

You guys bring up fond old memories of when I did PC gaming.  The first computer game I ever saw was the original MS Flight Simulator.  The first game I immersed myself into was the original Wolf3D - created level maps and came to know all the hidden spots quite well.  Then moved to Doom for a while, then nothing for a long time until I purchased the PS3 as a Blueray player - bought Gran Turismo 5.  Man that is an amazing game.  In it I drive a Subaru STI and talk about realism, you can almost smell the asphalt- the car behaves on screen almost like it does in real life (I drive one of those).  They truly did a great job.

JRD

OhBoyOhBoyOhBoyOhBoyOhBoyOhBoyOhBoyOhBoyOhBoyOhBoyOhBoyOhBoy

This is going to be awesome

[smg id=82 type=av]

[smg id=80 type=av]

[smg id=81 type=av]

PZ

This one looks ultimately cool JRD...

... can't wait!

JRD

I read somewhere the the US army changed their camouflage pattern slightly and devs re-did all textures of soldiers outfit to match the actual army uniform!
Also, they said you should expect a truly weather system with rain, storm, fog, day-night cycles... and as far as I know, it will be random, not mission specific!!! I hope so, cos then you'll be able to play the same mission again in completely different conditions, changing the odds and strategy!!!

Talk about immersion and realism!!!

PZ

The graphics seem to be fantastic, and I really like the open world aspect.  In fact, I'm interested is almost anything that is open world because that allows you to greatly extend game play.  (Of course, I'm the kind of guy that likes to watch movies again as well!)

JRD

I think the graphics have been enhanced in some way, just like that pic of the skyline of Pala, the one with the Carl G blasting!!
When they create a footage of actual gameplay, they do it from their machines, with their rendering and recording system, which may create better terrain, smoke, light, skin textures.
Guess a "normal computer" can't be compared to what they have in their studios and ordinary buyers have normal computers, so the final product can be tuned down a bit.
Remember Crysis? They promissed an outstanding look and delivered it, but most machines just couldn't run it, which flooded Crytek's mailbox with (fair) complains

spaceboy

This does look incredible.  I didn't realize it was coming so soon, I thought late summer.  Uh oh, May/Jun is going to be busy for my PS3, Fuel 5/12, OFP2 & Infamous both on 5/26.  yikes!

Here is some interesting snippets I found about OFP2:

Once players have completed the campaign, a Mission Editor enables gamers to create their own single player and multiplayer missions

play areas of more than 135 square miles give players a multitude of tactical decisions on how to best accomplish missions.

The world is persistent, so that buildings destroyed in one campaign mission will be destroyed in the next

OFP says, we've got a really big focus on co-op and great multiplayer, but the game is difficult. The game is going to have a difficult learning curve. So there has to be a good single-player component to allow you to develop the skills so that when you enter the multiplayer you're good at fighting.

What's it like when a 7.62mm round passes by your head? What does it sound like? What is that feeling you get in your chest? Now, if you're fundamentally bullet proof, and you can hide behind a rock and regen your health and then run out again, you're never going to get that feeling. It's a theme park effect. We went, well, there has to be lethality. The game has to be lethal. There has to be a sense of mortality. If a 50 calibre round hits your shoulder it's blowing your arm off.

Cool.

JRD

Here are two more vids from the official CodeMasters site

[smg id=99 type=av]

[smg id=98 type=av]

OhBoy!OhBoy!OhBoy!OhBoy!

Feel like a kid on december 24th

Art Blade

splendid indeed! man, I want that game. Codemasters did a brilliant job already with Race Driver Grid, but this will be a new dimension.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

spaceboy

The physics on that tank are incredible. 

Are you guys planning on multiplayer as well as single player on this one?  Just curious, my PC probably wouldn't handle it so I'll be on PS3 anyways... I still think going into battle in a game like this with fellow openworldgames members would be hella-fun.

PZ

I'd like to, and the PC I should be receiving the parts to should be strong enough to play, but my Internet connection is what limits me (darn it...)

JRD

I must warn you...
Its extremely hard to play... I mean, It is supposed to be fun, of course, but apparently, devs are making a war sim (actually I read the USArmy is using it as one).
So expect a hard time to hit a moving target and realistic damage to you as well as vehicles around you!
I read a post about how long should it take for you to get into a tank. Something around 15 secs (:P) and to grab new ammo you would have to get close to a crate and stick each bullet in your mag (kind of ridiculous, I must say).
OFP 1 was pretty realistic and hard to play, but very fun indeed, so I hope they don't spoil it by trying to bring a real war sim to our PCs / consoles... wait and see

PZ

Oh well, if it is too difficult then it will join others on my shelf that I don't play much!   :)

JRD

Hopefully there will be a balance between fun and real. Otherwise I would join te army and forget my gaming years.
What I mean is... this is not a game you take bullets, hide, syrette and action... you have to think your actions, and enemies are most part of the time a rifle shot away from you, so you don't actually see them and hear them as is FC2. But it demands a lot, I mean A LOT of strategy and thinkng and getting the hang of it.
You will probably start as a private and make your way to control a squad. A lot of guys will die during the campaingn.
I used to play OFP 1 with a friend and was amazed with how he could accomplish the mssions. It proves that there is not a right way to play it and there is room for improvisation... which is great...

Art Blade

MP -- depends. FC2 MP for instance forces me to sign up this and that, same with many games these days, and I simply don't like that. I've bought this game already, then I'm forced to register it (which I already hate) and then they want me to subscribe and sign up and whatnot... bollox! If they allowed me to start my own server at home and invite friends (bless titles like quake2) I'd be just fine, or joining private servers some friends start, great. But being forced to anything like the above, no thanks.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

I'm with you Art, I really hate registering software that I have simply for the marketing benefit of the publisher.  Although I've never played multiplayer (except for the first iteration of Doom - LAN version) I worry about people like we see on other forums - nasty individuals that are self-centered and entitled.  I will give it a try though, once I obtain a reasonable Internet connection.

Art Blade

Just by the way, the above mentioned is the reason I don't have the weapon and vehicle upgrade, because that would require my subscription with steam. So, sticking to principles, I have to bear the consequences. I hope one day they release an update on CD (it so happened with Oblivion, lots of DLC put on a collection DVD available in a real store)

RedRaven

Here is a bit of info from official site i missed last visit

"Extensive PVP and Co-Op support, with options to play through the campaign co-operatively with up to 3 friends, as well as varied multiplayer PVP game modes catering for up to 8 players on console and 32 players on PC."

Co-Op on the Campaign is a great idea, not noticed it on any other game, usally its just single player with the multiplayer aspect being seperate. Not sure why there is such a big difference between PC & Console player capacity though.
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Art Blade

Probably CPU/GPU issue. PC=power possible, Con=power limited.
Like that game Gran Turismo for PSP where you get races agains three other cars max - but there are 800 vehicles to choose from :)

deadman1

YES!!! My game is now on it´s way to me  :-X :P

Tags:
🡱 🡳