Gun jamming, guardposts may return

Started by ninzza, July 15, 2011, 02:06:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmosu

Huh, that's interesting, cause I'm pretty sure that somewhere else I remember reading that weapon degradation was out because they felt they didn't want to "punish" the player in that way.  This makes it sound like it's far from a done deal, like they're still going back and forth about it.  I personally liked it, but that's just me  :-()

Art Blade

You can swap weapons with me. I take your non-degrading weapons in exchange of my rust buckets  :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

haha, I'm not quite a fan of the jamming bug either. But, it IS original. Never found another game where they did that, and it is realistic as well.
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

realistic within limits. Weapons that start jamming after just very few rounds fired would probably kill more of their owners than targets  :-()
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mmosu

I've had a few blow up in my hands before too, although they just sort of disintegrated into a cloud of dust, where in real life there probably would have been a few missing fingers!  First time it ever happened was early in the game with a rusty sniper rifle that I just couldn't bring myself to part with - and then the game suddenly decided to part us  :o

Binnatics

Quote from: Art Blade on July 17, 2011, 04:33:39 AM
realistic within limits. Weapons that start jamming after just very few rounds fired would probably kill more of their owners than targets  :-()

That's true, but I think most weapons in these areas are far from modern warfare. They are rusty from the start, like in Fallout. I forgot that Fallout also had a way of desintegrating weapons, only not jamming ;)
I liked the way I could pump up precision and damage buy putting various rusty old guns together to a shiny new one.
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

I remember a few weapons that blew up in my hands unexpectedly: That first sniper rifle (  :-() ) which I had inherited from the Shwasana sniper, the first dart rifle, the mortar you find in the hut after the sandstorm, and a desert eagle (probably from and after killing a best buddy)  :) And none of the occasions were really joyful  :-()

JRD

Gun jamming plus malaria attacks are just too much unexpected events that can happen during a gunfight... either one or the other but not both, please!  ;)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

Don't you love it when you run into rather than trough a GP, realise your car is on fire while you're being fired at so you hop out to find cover behind an exploding barrel, having to put out the fire on your precious beat-up body when you instead really, really would like to shoot back, and when you finally could the weapon blows up in your face and in all that misery a royal malaria attack strikes. And then, just then, a merc pings you with a silly pistol and you drop on your back so you can finally find out that you forgot to activate your rescue buddy when you should have. Oh yes, sweet  :-D

JRD

Quote from: Art Blade on July 18, 2011, 09:37:51 AM
Don't you love it when you run into rather than trough a GP, realise your car is on fire while you're being fired at so you hop out to find cover behind an exploding barrel, having to put out the fire on your precious beat-up body when you instead really, really would like to shoot back, and when you finally could the weapon blows up in your face and in all that misery a royal malaria attack strikes. And then, just then, a merc pings you with a silly pistol and you drop on your back so you can finally find out that you forgot to activate your rescue buddy when you should have. Oh yes, sweet  :-D

No.

;D

ninzza

Quote from: Binnatics on July 16, 2011, 04:09:02 PM
haha, I'm not quite a fan of the jamming bug either. But, it IS original. Never found another game where they did that, and it is realistic as well.

If I remember correct, STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl has it before FC2 came out.

In my experience, the jamming almost never happens to me, and the guns exploded in my hands only once (or twice) in my first playthrough.

The only thing I can't control is malaria attack which is annoying especially during hectic firefights.

Art Blade

fragger

I always viewed the weapon degradation in FC2 as a crude way of modelling weapons maintenance. It would be boring to watch your guy sit down and strip and oil his pieces, so they did it the way they did in the game. Weapon jams and misfires are avoidable - just visit your friendly neighbourhood weapons dealer often, help yourself to newies from the armoury walls and you won't have a problem :-()

@Art: Been there, done that ^+-+

mandru

I see the mercs reload which pleasantly gives me a moment to pop them and take their gear but even though one of the merc conversations center around a Chinese gun that jams with every shot he takes and his opinion that my gun (as the nutter  >:D) never jams, we don't actually get to see their guns jam.

Unless of course we try to pick one up and use it ourselves.   ???
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

fragger

Well, I admit I've never had that calamitous a time Art, but I've come close :-D

Actually mandru, I've seen their guns jam. I'll have taken cover behind a tree or something and heard a kind of "chikka-chikka-chikka" and have looked around and seen a merc wrestling with a jammed gun. Not for long though - I then take the opportunity to unjam the merc >:D I've only ever seen it happen on a very few occasions though.

JRD

I once had a funny moment at the GP east of Port Selao, on the way to the gun shop, I attacked the GP and was clearing the area when I saw a last standing merc firing at me with a rusty AK, as soon as I saw him I moved closer as I was packing a shotgun when I hear his gun jamming.. he went "Oh no, not now, please, c`mon, not now... no, no, no... aaaaarrrrggghhhh" I had time to walk towards him, aim the shotty to his head, listen some more and squeeze the trigger... aaahhh happy moments  >:D

Art Blade

PZ

I've yet to encounter a merc with gun jammed - something else to look for the next time I'm in the game  :-()

Dweller_Benthos

That's why I never left on a mission without getting fresh weapons first. I almost never had a jam problem.

These guys, on the other hand.....

Space balls RADAR JAMMED High Quality

LOLOLOLOLOL  b-tum kssh
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

JRD

^+-+  :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

ninzza

Quote from: JRD on July 19, 2011, 05:55:55 AM
I once had a funny moment at the GP east of Port Selao, on the way to the gun shop, I attacked the GP and was clearing the area when I saw a last standing merc firing at me with a rusty AK, as soon as I saw him I moved closer as I was packing a shotgun when I hear his gun jamming.. he went "Oh no, not now, please, c`mon, not now... no, no, no... aaaaarrrrggghhhh" I had time to walk towards him, aim the shotty to his head, listen some more and squeeze the trigger... aaahhh happy moments  >:D

That's very funny.

Unfortunately I've never encountered a merc that has gun jamming.

mandru

Interesting.   ????

When ever I hear that "Oh no, not now, please..." from a merc during a firefight I've always assumed it was just an emptied clip that needed to be reloaded.

I'll have to pay closer attention.   :-X
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

JRD

Ever since I saw that (playthrough 1, first time in Selao  8) ) I always note when other mercs cries the same way and assume they have their guns jamming but usually there are other things going throw me, like bullets, so I never stop and look for a jammed merc  >:D

Tags:
🡱 🡳