Gun jamming, guardposts may return

Started by ninzza, July 15, 2011, 02:06:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mandru

If I remember correctly that "Oh no, not now, please..." line from the mercs also occurs on occasion when one has to stop to frantically stuff shells into a shotgun as he reloads.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

That's exactly what I remember and know that line from  :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

Weird... I remember the guy trying to unjam his gun... can it be that he was actually reloading and I thought he was punching the gun instead  ????

A typical case of made-up memory... you only remember what you think you saw, not what actually happen  ::)
... NURSE!!!!!
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

RedRaven

Vaguely remember seeing them do it a few times, found it the perfect time for either a quick head-shot or even quicker retreat to cover to reload my own gun. Aaahh, brings back so many memories :)
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

mmosu

I remember seeing what you guys are talking about too, but after reading this discussion, I honestly am not sure what it represented.  I think I had assumed they were clearing jams too, but the reloading theory sounds equally plausible . . .
(;\

PZ

Those boys need to stop at an armory to get fresh weapons.  >:D

fragger

:-D

Now you guys have got me wondering too... I'm pretty certain the mercs I've seen were trying to unjam their weapons, but I can't be 100% sure. I remember a merc doing it when he was only a couple of steps away from me and it didn't look like a reloading routine. The trouble is getting close enough to observe properly...

Art Blade

not if you use the ignore player cheat.  ;)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

Quote from: fragger on July 20, 2011, 05:09:21 PM
(...) I remember a merc doing it when he was only a couple of steps away from me and it didn't look like a reloading routine. The trouble is getting close enough to observe properly...

I don't remember the reloading-a-shotgun sound either, that's why I think it was an unjamming routine   ????
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

fragger

Quote from: Art Blade on July 20, 2011, 05:27:36 PM
not if you use the ignore player cheat.  ;)

But then the mercs won't be shooting at anything, will they? Which means that you still won't see any jams happening. I've never used the ignore player cheat so I don't know if it's possible to get them to use their weapons without actually shooting at you.

Art Blade

ninzza

I think they tried to unjammed the guns because if they just reloaded they wouldn't have sounded so frustrated like that.

RedRaven

They must of missed that lesson at Merc school
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

mandru

I'm just glad the used vehicles in FC2 don't corrupt and fail the same way the guns do.   :-D
- mandru

RedRaven

Once parked up in a dry grass area, then torched the grass a short way off to give me cover from a merc patrol only for the wind to fan the flames toward the car, as I was dealing with my pursuers the car was engulfed in flame causing enough damage to make it explode!
Was gutted as had taken out their vehicle with an RPG so had to walk until finding a new ride.

ninzza

Quote from: mandru  on July 21, 2011, 04:33:47 PM
I'm just glad the used vehicles in FC2 don't corrupt and fail the same way the guns do.   :-D

Your post made me wondering why the mercs never fix their cars/trucks although they have clumsy driving skill ? That's not fair.  :)

mandru

Quote from: ninzza on July 21, 2011, 07:08:48 PM

Your post made me wondering why the mercs never fix their cars/trucks...

If you remember in the beginning of the game right after your intake interview with the Jackal and blacking out again in Pala then winding up in the hands of one of the faction Lieutenants the first task he gives you is to fix a car even though he has a half dozen or so apparently mechanically challenged goons wandering around the compound.

Don't even think about how things would have gone if you'd failed that test.   :-()
- mandru

PZ

Your post made me wondering why the mercs never fix their cars/trucks although they have clumsy driving skill ? That's not fair.  :)
I've seen mercs hop into a smoking vehicle that I abandoned and start chasing me while I was in a fresh vehicle.  The old wreck was actually able to catch me as if there was nothing wrong with it!

It was actually quite funny how this happened - the north east section of Bowa where there are two mercs standing around an AT.  As usual, I ran over one of them and the other gave chase.  However, my vehicle became damaged and started clacking with the broken engine sound as I stopped by the bus stop.  The merc stopped too, but I ran around back with him chasing me, then I doubled back to the front and stole his fresh vehicle leaving him with my old clunker.  Naturally I was laughing all the way out of the bus stop, but he managed to catch me anyway.  Quite the driving skills, those mercs, to be able to coax that kind of performance out of a wreck.

Art Blade

The game engine provides some limitless power to merc vehicles when chasing the player. If possible, try to observe how a far away merc patrol spots you and pulls up to you within seconds while you keep doing full speed. That's  not fair.  :)

PZ

I've lately been very lucky to outrun almost all of the mercs chasing me.  :-()

ninzza

Quote from: PZ on July 22, 2011, 12:11:37 AM
I've seen mercs hop into a smoking vehicle that I abandoned and start chasing me while I was in a fresh vehicle.  The old wreck was actually able to catch me as if there was nothing wrong with it!

It was actually quite funny how this happened - the north east section of Bowa where there are two mercs standing around an AT.  As usual, I ran over one of them and the other gave chase.  However, my vehicle became damaged and started clacking with the broken engine sound as I stopped by the bus stop.  The merc stopped too, but I ran around back with him chasing me, then I doubled back to the front and stole his fresh vehicle leaving him with my old clunker.  Naturally I was laughing all the way out of the bus stop, but he managed to catch me anyway.  Quite the driving skills, those mercs, to be able to coax that kind of performance out of a wreck.

lol they have magic I guess.  ;D

Art Blade

Quote from: PZ on July 22, 2011, 01:38:37 PMI've lately been very lucky to outrun almost all of the mercs chasing me.  :-()

True, but I was referring to how they pull up to you  when far away. Like, you and they drive the same type of any common car like an AT, they are far away, yet they manage to pull up to you even if you're constantly going at full speed. Take a look, you're not going to believe it  :-()

fragger

You're right Art, no matter what vehicles the mercs are driving, they always catch up, and fast. But that's partially offset by the fact that they're pretty lousy drivers and often run off the road, crash into trees, etc.

I remember once hiding behind some rocks near a GP getting ready to attack when I heard an engine being gunned behind me. I looked around and there was a DD tumbling and somersaulting towards me after the driver had lost control, it looked hilarious :-()

They also seem compelled to drive their vehicles head-on into your own at great speed ::) In fact, I've developed a tactic: If I'm driving and an AT is coming hell-for-leather towards me, I bail out at the last moment before the inevitable head-on, sprint and slide to the back of my car and use it as cover from their mounted weapon, then creep around and try to clobber the driver. Once I drop the driver, the guy on the gun always immediately gets out to fight. Works most of the time - the trick is not getting hit while I'm running after my car, especially when the mercs are packing a .50 cal. That can be an ouch.

Art Blade

PZ

Quote from: fragger on July 22, 2011, 05:36:51 PM
They also seem compelled to drive their vehicles head-on into your own at great speed ::) In fact, I've developed a tactic: If I'm driving and an AT is coming hell-for-leather towards me, I bail out at the last moment before the inevitable head-on, sprint and slide to the back of my car and use it as cover from their mounted weapon, then creep around and try to clobber the driver. Once I drop the driver, the guy on the gun always immediately gets out to fight. Works most of the time - the trick is not getting hit while I'm running after my car, especially when the mercs are packing a .50 cal. That can be an ouch.

I've managed to dodge their head-on assault on a more frequent basis.  Take for example the DD at the southeast bus stop in Bowa - as I'm heading toward the stop, the DD is frequently coming my way.  If I try to pass on the right, he is likely to hit me.  On the other hand, if I pass on the left, I'm able to effectively pass by over 90% of the time.

I guess they expect everyone to obey the rules of the road and stay in your own lane.  :-()

Tags:
🡱 🡳