(funny) Tactics and Tips

Started by Art Blade, April 11, 2009, 10:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retiredgord

:) Now thoroughly immersed in the second play I'm now enjoying some of the tatics mentioned by our members, like pi**ing off the mercs.  I adapted one of the driving ones with the cars by driving backwards down a long straight stretch.  This is especially fun on the railway tracks.  I drive forward until I see the datsun Dummy coming then stop, reverse and drive backwards.  He pursues, I stop he gets out to shoot and I back away again.  I do this 3-4 times. So much fun. The one chasing me ended up getting his vehicle stuck and I drove by ..wished I could've flipped him the bird.  He tried to shoot at me but just piinged rounds off the assault truck.  I stopped and helped him to see with a third eye.
The sun is over the yardarm somewhere in the world..time for a beer :)  :)

PZ

You know, the truly funny aspect is that we are pitting human intelligence against the artificial intelligence programmed in by the development group, who never anticipated us trying to deliberately antagonize the Datsun dummies.  When "playing" with them, they will behave in a predictable manner, and with us humans, you can never truly predict what we're going to do!

Art Blade

To some of those mercs I must be pretty predictable myself. Especially those mortar mercs seem to know exactly what I'm about to do and are usually damn close to taking me out  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

Quote from: Ricamundo on April 18, 2009, 07:40:48 AM
Stupid question, what's a Deagle?

Although we discussed that already (Desert Eagle), I only just noticed something I didn't before... maybe it's my 1900x1200res that helps old and half-blind people like us...

[smg id=487 align=center width=400]

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

Holy crap... is that a FC2 screenshot??

Man.. those devs are really into details... congrats Art!
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

it is a FC2 screenshot :) I was in Sefapane, beautiful weather, and shot everyone there was. The weapon went up again (as they do in cease fire zones) and there it was... I read that imprint LOL I turned the image so you could betterly read it

PZ

Great attention to detail, Art!

The game amazes me every time one of you guys finds something new.  :-X

Art Blade

cheers :)

Man... 4th edit on 180° powerslide... only just found out that repair manuals for cars increase performance, now I tested the Jeep Liberty and it worked like a charm too.

PZ

Very interesting - by performance, do you mean speed and agility off-road?  If so, that would make the upgrades worth every diamond.

Come to think of it, I am sometimes able to blast past check points and even out run vehicle mercs from time to time.  I have never correlated it to the upgrades, but perhaps that is it.

spaceboy

Actually, that's a huge tip if the upgrades help speed...I almost never buy the upgrades because I thought it only helped speed up fixing times.  Great tip again Art!
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Art Blade

23a) Repair upgrades / 23b) battle-ready

You know, when you buy the repair manual for vehicles, you can check your notebook under upgrades, the last entry is vehicles. It's always the same:

-50% repair time, -50% degradation.

When I wrote the post about 180° I was fully upgraded with everything, and mostly using the truck. So, that went fine. When I started my 3rd through (current), I had no upgrade for the Liberty, when I first tried a 180 with it -- it was crappy.

When I was recently fooling around for fun, I just grabbed any car, and happened upon a Liberty (and its driver upon my bullet). It took quite a bit of time to repair it and it just didn't feel "right" when driving, no power slide... And I love  that 180° slide. I can't stop the car without doing it, haha  :)

Now that I've bought everything, I again happened upon a Liberty. I only did a 180 out of habit, thinking "why are you doing it with this crap c.. huh??" and had completed a proper turn. It is only logical that it has something to do with the upgrade.

The only reason I can think of is, you seem to find cars that are already degraded to some point (explains why it took PZ only 3 shots with an AS50 to black-smoke an assault truck) and therefore those genuine merc cars are not so sportive. With your upgrade you seem to "heal" the car on repairing it beyond its best state you found it in.

I have no idea if the upgrade helps agility. Speed and thrust perhaps, a little. Check the dashboard: cars go either 60mph or 100km/h after your upgrade-repair, downhill even faster. Without, I noticed that they seem to go a little slower, not as sportive... I haven't yet researched if what once happened is due to upgrades: I remember even downhill the car wouldn't go any faster, to my dismay. Whereas I am positive that I did go 130km/h (maxed on speedometer) downhill with an assault truck once :)

[smg id=604 type=link align=center width=500]

23b) battle-ready

Get a repair manual for the desired vehicle.

You may have noticed that sometimes all your car needs to start emitting white smoke is driving over a pebble. That obviously is a sign for degradation. Since your car immediately looses engine power, it might be a good idea to prevent your car from doing exactly that when you need it least.

[smg id=596 type=link align=center width=500]

How? Simple. Once you got it... Shoot  it :) Or whack it with you machete. Just until it starts to smoke... then repair it. Now you've got a car as fresh as can get  ;D

edit:
please read
degrading vehicles: Testing armour here in this topic. For some reason it didn't make it into the index... now it's related :)

Art Blade

Ok, spaceboy and PZ, you convinced me to add this and edit it. New entry in first post then :)

Dweller_Benthos

Quote from: Art Blade on May 16, 2009, 11:08:18 AM
I have no idea if the upgrade helps agility. Speed and thrust perhaps, a little. Check the dashboard: cars go either 60mph or 100km/h after your upgrade-repair, downhill even faster. Without, I noticed that they seem to go like 55mph / 88km/h.
ou've got a car as fresh as can get  ;D

Pretty sure most/all of the speedometers on the cars are in km/h, not miles. The couple I looked at were anyway. So, if you're used to a car that has speedometer in miles, that's not as fast as you're going.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

The assault trucks have only km/h, you'll see "100" if you kick down the gas. The Jeeps and Buggies have km/h (inner small scale ) and mph on the speedometer, they'll show "60" on the big scale, it is mph.

PZ

I need to get back on my PC - I can't even begin to read the speedometer on the PS3!

Art Blade

No need, I did it for you. You can see the top speed is either about 55/60mph or 100km/h and that there are two different speedometers (showing either mph+km/h or km/h only)

see here thanks JRD :) doesn't inflate this post too much then haha  :-X

JRD

Copy + Paste in the details gallery....  ;)

Art Blade

JRD

Great Art... I hope you didn't get my message as an order... I was just saying you could copy this post into another thread...  ;)

Art Blade

that's why I didn't do it  ;D Instead, I kind of removed the post. Actually, you had the idea I was looking for... I didn't like that many screenies only about speedometers here. Yet I wanted them somewhere :)

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on May 17, 2009, 10:13:39 AM
No need, I did it for you...

Well, actually I miss the beautifully detailed graphics one has the opportunity to see on a PC - my PS3 is connected to a 32-inch 1080p right now, and the graphics are not as crisp as I get on my standard 60 hz 19-inch PC monitor using a vga cable.

Art Blade

that's what I wanted to help you with - sit on your PS3 but check this post (link to details topic) hehe, but I do understand your problem. So get back to the PC!  ;D

PZ

Believe me, I play the PC whenever I can, and it is my favorite because of all the other things you can do.  For instance, I was doing the documents at the pipeline mission this morning - stole the GL boat at the brewery and parked on the north side of the mortar island in Bowa - killed the mortar merc and then lured the other boats into the island - I had 4 gun boats line up next to one another - would have been quite a screen cap, but alas, was on the PS3 because I was still in bed (I can play as long as the wife is still sleeping)

Art Blade

hahaha, just imagine you cranked the headphones up real good and unexpectedly a sharp explosion blows your eardrums, making you shake like hell in bed, waking the wife, converting her into another funny merc  ;D ;D ;D

PS, this is NOT a funny tip  ;D

PZ

hahaha, I've done that a few times and she starts moving - and there I am praying that she doesn't open her eyes and say...

"Well, look what we got...."

[sorry to be off topic, but I couldn't resist...]

Tags:
🡱 🡳