Previous topic - Next topic

Do you invert your Y axis?

Yes
5 (41.7%)
No
7 (58.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

spaceboy

Ok, based on the issue coming up with TDU2  - I couldn't believe the option was not there to invert my Y axis.  I know others that don't, but either way most of us couldn't play the "other way".

Maybe it has to do with if you played early Flight Sims or not, but it just seems natural to pull back to look up, and push the stick forward to look down.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Fiach

WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Art Blade

just as space mentioned, "early flight sims" were the reason why I played for literally decades with inverted y-axis (if you count both joystick and mouse). Only very recently out of stupid necessity I had to re-educate myself and now I don't invert it any more.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

spaceboy

hmm I see another member voted No besides Art, but is too ashamed to put down who it was I see...  :)

PZ

As space mentioned, to me it also feels unnatural to me to pull back on a joystick to look down, so I don't play any game without inverted Y

fragger

Quote from: spaceboy on February 11, 2011, 07:13:11 PM
hmm I see another member voted No besides Art, but is too ashamed to put down who it was I see...  :)

:-D

That was me :-[ I was under the impression that not inverting the Y-axis resulted in the joystick-forward/look-down configuration. Shows how long it's been since I sim-flew anything...

Now I'm confused... I play FPSs with a mouse, and if I push the mouse forward it makes me look down. So does that mean my Y-axis is inverted? If so, then my answer should have been a "Yes" and thus I should be considered a real man :-()

spaceboy

yeah fragger, your a real man lol

what you described is Y inverted as far as joystick is concerned, though I have to admit that describing the use of a mouse that way (still inverted I guess) seems quite unnatural based on the fact we normally use mice.

Anyways, you should be able to change your vote.

fragger

Cheers space, vote changed - I didn't notice that I could do that before. Also I made a mistake with what I said about the mouse - I play: forward/UP, not down. I tell you, some days... I wasn't expecting senility to hit me this early into my 50s ::)

nexor

I tried playing a game once with inverted Y axis, I was pumped so full of lead I sank a foot into the ground without even perforating one guy, some of the lead came from my own gun, kept on shooting myself in the foot   :D  never again   :-D

PZ

Quote from: nexor63 on March 05, 2011, 04:22:21 PM
... some of the lead came from my own gun, kept on shooting myself in the foot   :D  never again   :-D
^+-+ :-X

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mmosu

I'm useless without an inverted Y.  A lot of PS3 games have the option to invert the X axis as well - now that's weird! 

Art Blade

maybe if you want to use the controller upside down?  ^+-+

Dweller_Benthos

I never could play inverted. I'm pretty sure while using the joystick for BF1942 it was normal flight sim style or inverted I suppose, pull back and you climb, push forward and you dive. But, while playing an FPS, it's "normal FPS" mode I guess. Pulling back looks down and pushing forward looks up. Essentially, it's the same as using a mouse in any normal program, if you push forward, your cursor goes to the top of the screen, pull back, and it goes to the bottom. Same goes for the crosshair in an FPS, push and it goes to the top of the screen, or "up", pull and it goes to the bottom, or "down".
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

mmosu

Maybe it's because I'm a console player, but I perceive camera control completely differently in my mind's eye.  It's like there's a camera on a swivel with a stick coming out the back of it (analogous to a thumb-stick on a controller I suppose).  So, for example, to point the camera up toward the sky you need to push the stick down toward the ground.  That's what seems to make sense to my brain at least.

spaceboy

very true mmosu.  I often think of the stick as moving your avatars head.  I tilt my head back to look up, why wouldn't I do the same with my controller? 

Of course if I picture using a mouse I woud push the mouse forward to move the curser up, because that's what I do when using a PC.   I know accuracey with a mouse is great, but it seems too clinical to me, or too much like w@&k.  I love gaming with a controller, it feels like an extension of my hands.  When I pick up a controller I get excited, not the same with a mouse lol.  But enough on that.

Inverted Y FTW!

Binnatics

I just voted and what? 50-50! I'm surpriced by that, I think only in flying (flight simulator) it's standard to invert y as.

Read about the discussion on controler or mouse config. I never got a hang on these controllers. Maybe because a friend of mine allways plays console games and stresses me out when I can't do proper gaming due to being confused with the buttons. I just like mouse aiming far more as well.
Doesn't feel like w@&k ( ^+-+) anymore, since I spend more time gaming then ---oops--- working I wanted to say. That's not true, but in my w@&k I type a lot, don't use the mouse that much. Internet is not allowed on my job  >:((

I'm wondering how much time will pass untill the movement-senced controlers like on the Wii (and PS3 a$$ well) will take over in shooters. Just a matter of years I guess, it's logical. Next year you buy an AK47 when choosing a shooter, and you just put you movement-sences controller inside  ^+-+.
Then we (pc-gamers) can finally compete together with consolegamers in multiplayer matches. Auto-aim will loose popularity and multiplayer gaming will be united in one big mess of gaming madmen  ::)

... just one step away of virtual reality... oh damn, i'm dreaming again  ;)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

spaceboy

My only PC gaming I ever did was Duke 3D which was all keyboard and loved it.  But using a mouse seems too common to me.  I use it all day on the PC (along with keyboard of course) so holding a controller is GAME TIME only and doesn't make me feel like I'm clicking away my enemies, but rather shooting as the shoot button is in the front and you "pull it back" with your trigger finger.  I just like it better.

Now as for the future you described, it is HERE!  Check out the link below.  This is a gun accessory for the PS3 Move controller (I have this) and it's great!  So fun to stand with this nicely made (decently heavy) "gun" against your shoulder and pull an actual trigger to shoot.  Turning and moving does take some getting used to so I don't yet use it online, but for offline it's incredibly fun.   As for cross-platform gaming, we PS3ers will be able to do co-op with PCers in Portal 2 so we've got that!

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-Move-Sharp-Shooter-3/dp/B002I0K622/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1301520964&sr=8-1

Binnatics

Lol, that's a cool feature there!! Reality just went ahead of me, haha. I didn't know of the existance if this feature, but there it is and it looks handy. Not too big and not too real. I imagine a cop moving by your place when you're playing a good shooter, he would just alarm a swat team to come and arrest you  ^+-+

Cool that Portal 2 will connect us through multiplayer, looking forward to that!

"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

spaceboy

yeah, I like the look and feel of it.  Some neat features are there are two reload techniques (one is a button underneath the handle which you can quickly "slap" like your slamming in another clip, the other is a pump action of the bottom part that holds the nav controller - so it is like a shotgun).  Killzone 3 also allows you to just tilt the controller 1/4 turn to reload which is used if you don't have the peripheral.

Fun stuff  ;D

Art Blade

:)

Most of the games can be covered with a few simple move controllers (rifle, pistol, stick/sword). But I'm currently playing something that makes excessive use of a whip and boots (to kick with) -- kind of difficult to transform a 150-feet-long whip, don't you think? ;D

fragger

Quote from: Art Blade on March 30, 2011, 11:24:13 PM
...But I'm currently playing something that makes excessive use of a whip and boots...

Er... exactly what kind of game are you playing there, Art? :-\\

spaceboy

lol fragger - I think it's Urban Cowboy or something like that  ;)

Seriously though, while a peripheral wouldn't w@&k "What did you just do to the TV!!!", the Move could definitely simulate a whip on-screen incredibly well.  It captures such subtle changes to the angle and twists of your wrist - it still amazes me.  Such very small differences in how you flick your wrist for frisbee, bocce, table tennis etc.  If implemented correctly it would actually be pretty sweet.  Come to think of it, if Bulletstorm was Move compatible I'd probably have picked it up already.

Art Blade

I was referring to Bulletstorm  :-D

fragger

;)

That gun accessory is a cool-looking thing, space :-X

Tags:
🡱 🡳