7 (58.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

mmosu

Quote from: Art Blade on March 31, 2011, 07:32:46 AM
I was referring to Bulletstorm  :-D

Oh, I thought he was talking about It's Raining Men 2:  Shore Leave  :-[

. . . wow, I couldn't even type that with a straight face  :-D

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

RedRaven

It happened once by accident on a game I do not recall and it just made me feel like I was drunk and falling over, never bothered since.
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

JRD

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

spaceboy

Hey Red - been meaning to say welcome back and good to hear from you...  :-X  That same feeling is what I get if I DON'T invert. 

JRD - flying/walking, what's the difference?!?   :)
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

RedRaven

Legs or wing usually, depends on how drunk you are.....
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Binnatics

^+-+

Actually, who invented this Y-axis inversion anyway? And why?
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

JRD

LOL @ Red....  :-X

@space
Walking - If I want to look up I push the mouse forward and if I want to stare at my feet I pull it back (towards me)
Flying - pushing the mouse forward causes the plane nose to point down, whereas pulling it backwards (towards myself) pulls the nose up.

;)

Art Blade

Quote from: Binnatics on April 20, 2011, 01:58:11 PMActually, who invented this Y-axis inversion anyway? And why?

Probably Aperture. Because they can.  :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

spaceboy

Quote from: JRD on April 20, 2011, 02:06:35 PM
@space
Walking - If I want to look up I push the mouse forward and if I want to stare at my feet I pull it back (towards me)
Flying - pushing the mouse forward causes the plane nose to point down, whereas pulling it backwards (towards myself) pulls the nose up.

;)

But that's my point JRD.  Why is putting the nose of your plane up in the air different than putting the nose of your gun-toting mercanary up in the air.  Either way, pull back to look up.  Like us inverters have said before - if I want to look up I tilt my head BACK!!!  LOL!!!!!     Again though I think using a Mouse would lend me not to invert because moving the cursor forward always moves my "aim"/cursor up the screen all day long.

Big difference I think conceptually to move a mouse forward vs. moving a controller's analog stick forward.

A controller's analog stick tilts over the apex, so with forward movement it ends up tilting down (looking down) and backward it ends up tilting up (looking up).  Not that all console gamers invert ("some people you just can't reach") but I'll bet a greater percentage of console gamers do vs. PCers.

-This might explain Binnatics confusion over the creation of inverting... but then again, he is a horrible person...it says so right on his evaluation sheet...and we weren't even testing for that...  ;)

Art Blade

JRD

Oops... guess I itched a scratch somewhere  ;D

I see your point space... and agree with that! Playing with consoles - or joysticks - makes me go the same way as you. Guess the reason is the same you just explained... moving my mouse forward will aim my cursor up and playing any flying game will prompt me to an inverted way of thinking... both the airplane nose and my nose will respond to the same principle ;) .
man... I was just voting on a poll  ::)

Binnatics

...dispite my evaluation sheet.... I think I get the point there. Your explanation of the joystick-way of thinking makes it quite logic inverting. I'm just too much into mouse 'n keyboard thinking I guess  :-[
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

spaceboy

makes sense.

Now just continue testing, and when you're finished...there will be cake!

fragger

I didn't get the horrible person joke until I got called one myself ^+-+

See you guys in the cake dispensary

RedRaven

I guess like so many things it becomes habitual for most people, depending on what they use most or started with.
As a test of my aptitude have decided to try inverting the axis and see if I can un-learn my habits!

Quote from: spaceboy on April 21, 2011, 09:39:32 AM
there will be cake!

Oh boy oh boy oh boy, I love cake, what sort ?

spaceboy

Quote from: fragger on April 21, 2011, 09:58:20 AM
I didn't get the horrible person joke until I got called one myself ^+-+

See you guys in the cake dispensary

lol fragger, I knew it would be an inside Portal joke - just for those of us "in the know"

@ Red - be careful - don't mess with your brain too much.  I really think it would take A LOT of practice for anyone to switch.  It'd be like writing with your other hand.  Good luck on that  ???

Binnatics

Damn you got me there Spaceboy!!! I really was worried about me being a horrible person. I should have known  :-[ :-[ :-[

I will go on for the cake, hope it won't be a lie again  ^-^

spaceboy

@ binnatics - oh whoops too subtle I guess..hahaha. Sorry, I must have come off like quite a git there!!

oh and as an aside.  I thought this was a great way to incorporate the inversion question.

The game inFamous on PS3 - the first thing that happens is a you wake up in the middle of a blast zone and a rescue chopper is hovering above.  It says something like "Are you ok?  Look up at the chopper."  Of course whatever you're natural tendency is you do and that sets the inversion on or off. 

You could change it in the menus, but I thought that was pretty smart.  Since almost all games I forget to do it straight away and not until I start moving around do I go "no way, gotta go to options and change this"

fragger

That's a novel way to get your inversion preference (inFamous). I like it! 8)

Interesting to see that the nays have overtaken the yeas in the poll...

Binnatics

Okay, let's invert your Y axis and see if you handle that the same way you just did without the inversion. It could come in handy, you never know ;)
Spoiler
Here's this next test:
[smg id=3239 width=500]
Shoot a portal again and make your way to the other side of the test chamber

Some games ask you if you want to inverse, before the play starts. And I responded yes, by accident. Took me quite a bit before I stumbled to the menues, to change it. You really are invalid if you're in your unnatural way of playing  ????

Art Blade

cool idea to use that "look up at the chopper" to check if inversion is needed or not and if so to actually change it without bothering the player. wow ??? :-X

Hehe space, I remember when I changed from inverted to regular, it was indeed like learning to write with "the other hand" but it is only one letter. Sometimes, after some time without gaming with a mouse (like racing games), when I fire up a shooter, I realise that I try to look as if the mouse was inverted which it is not and that makes me virtually stumble until I reset my internal orientation and then it's all good again. :)

mmosu

Quote from: fragger on April 21, 2011, 10:14:59 AM
Interesting to see that the nays have overtaken the yeas in the poll...

It's probably because we have more PC players than strict console players at OWG, the reason being what space already said (mouse vs. thumbstick).

Quote from: spaceboy on April 20, 2011, 03:08:50 PM
-This might explain Binnatics confusion over the creation of inverting... but then again, he is a horrible person...it says so right on his evaluation sheet...and we weren't even testing for that...  ;)

I almost choked when I read that!  ^+-+ :-X

Art Blade

Although I'm not a Portal player, I can tell there is a connection. It was funny even without being in the know :)

Tags:
🡱 🡳