Music: Dark Zone (download here)

Started by Art Blade, January 24, 2011, 05:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

jump to the downloads and fetch it :)

Description: A melodic and dreamy and spherical song which I created back in 2005, it is one of my favourite tunes I ever created with MadTracker.

Unfortunately I had to compress it down to 128kbit mp3 which causes typical acoustic artefacts. Also I needed to use 7zip to compress it even further to get it onto this site, yet you'll get an idea of what I am capable of when using MadTracker when you listen to it.

Enjoy :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Fiach

Not my favourite type of music but a very enjoyable listen, cheers Art :)

My nearest reference point to that would be Thomas Dolby (Golden age of Wireless is very good, I really like the quirky lyrics) or Vangelis, but I dont know any other artists in that genre. :(

Thanks again :)
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Art Blade

Thanks for checking it out, mate, and your nice comment :)

When I create music, it's always a surprise for me what I end up with. Sometimes it's that sort of sci-fi synth stuff like this, I can listen to that piece over and over again and my thoughts start to wander off.. then I create jazz or funk, then whatever.. all a matter of moods and feelings.

This piece is quite old, back then I thought "Dark Zone" was appropriate, now I'd probably give it a different name, like "Light Zone"  ;)

The thing is, I like to experiment with sound and melody and rhythm. What was so intriguing here was the echo and reverb and pitch-bending.. also, there is something that sounds like a female choir, but it is completely artificial and created using different effects.

MadTracker is a tool, you load sounds (wave files) of whatever type into it and then start to create something. Usually you'll load something like a drum kit (which you have to create with drum samples) and perhaps a bass sample, maybe a recording of your own voice, but you can also use VST plug-ins which w@&k like a synthesizer. Those can be combined with various effects of MadTracker's own features. Whatever you can think of, it is basically possible with that type of tool :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

I quit listening to the radio years ago because most of what was played annoyed me.  This on the other hand did not annoy me at all.  ;D

I downloaded it, unzipped it, fired up Media Monkey only to find out there was an updated version so after a quick reinstall and a drag and drop I was into it.  Of course seeing as how I'd played it in Media Monkey and couldn't resist trying to find the perfect visualization to accompany it an hour and a half later of your song being looped I had to tear myself away as I was risking losing the balance of the evening when there's still games to play and vids to catch up on.   ;)

Very nice Art I like it.   :-X

I am very into synth driven techno/trancer type music with danceable beats that can also fill in as non-obnoxious background audioscaping. 
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

Thanks, mandru  :) :-X

Quote from: mandru on January 24, 2011, 10:10:04 PMan hour and a half later of your song being looped I had to tear myself away

I feel the same about this particular song. It is years old but I've never stopped digging it up every now and then to listen to it just the same way you described  :-() :-X

PZ

Nicely done techno, Art - its melodious nature almost makes me think that it should be playing when flying in the Panauan sky  :-X

Art Blade

Binnatics

Nice Music Art, I'm listening to it now, it's just getting a little funkier, with these bass-riffs. Nice done.
Since you like this techno-ambient stuff, do you know the group called The Future Sound OF London? I'm sure you're gonna like that. These guys are sample-masters.  :-X
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

Thanks for your kind comment, Binnatics :)

And yes, I've heard of that group. Unfortunately there are so many out there that I'm more prone to like one particular song than one particular group :)

Binnatics

Well, I might have given you a title of a good song, but the problem is that this disc is more like one complete song. So I'll just give you the title of the compac. I'ts "Dead Cities". You should really try that sometime. It's majestic, I'm sure you'll find it an amazing experience. Allthough you might not 'like' it, it will be an amazing experience you don't want to miss  :o

Give it a try if you find on the net or somewhere else.

===Wait, just follow this link, it'll give you a nice impression===
Future Sound Of London Dead Cites
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Binnatics

LOL, I didn't know I put in the complete audio-fragment, nice to know  ;)

PZ

Quote from: Binnatics on April 11, 2011, 09:05:10 AM
LOL, I didn't know I put in the complete audio-fragment, nice to know  ;)

One of the newer features of the portal is to allow direct embedding of selected links (like YouTube URLs) into posts so they automatically show a preview.  That way, it saves having to make a media entry, then copy the link, etc...

Art Blade

Thanks for the link, I just finished listening to the vid (hey Binnatics, you're online at the same time :) ) and yes, if you paste a YT link, it will automatically embed the corresponding vid. :)

The music sure is interesting but for my taste it's a bit too "dark" (kind of depressing).

And hey, PZ, you're online at the same time, too :)

And hey, both of you interfered with THIS post LOL  ^+-+

PZ

Art Blade

Binnatics

You're right, it is dark  ;)

I guess I wasn't aware of that when I listened to it a lot. But stil... I like it  :)
It has some kind of serenity in it that makes you loose contact with the rest around you and the music swallows you somehow. That makes it a fantastic journey.
Haha, I remember the big 'Ben Librant' with his megamixes... "This is a journey, into sound"

Nevertheless tastes differ, and that's the good thing  :wink

Art Blade

I remember "this is a journey into sound" too but not sure if it was just sampled (don't remember the original artist). Yes taste is something you may or may not share or have in common but sometimes there are things that please even people who usually have a different taste like in musik. :)

mandru

8)  :-X

I enjoyed the clip of that song Binnatics, thanks for posting it.  Maybe song's not the right word.  ????   Probably something more like collage or montage might be a better description but still I liked it.   :)

It had a good pace and a demanding beats but also had passage changes withing its score using tempo breaks to link them.  I also like when a band introduces discordant elements into their compositions to establish tone the way this group has.

- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Tags:
🡱 🡳