Sniping spot in Pipeline Crossing subverted mission

Started by ninzza, January 23, 2011, 02:22:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ninzza

I've just found this spot today. When your buddy ask you to destroy the safety cutoff valve in the subverted mission, if you like sniping, there's a rock at the north of the valve. From there you can easily pick off the morta guy, the guys on fanboats and those guys who guards the safety valve.
I'm so happy to find this sweet spot since I love sniping.

P.S. Sorry if this has been covered before.

Art Blade

Thanks for sharing, ninzza.  :) :-X

And don't worry nor hesitate, post away, even if it has been mentioned before.. we're different here. We like it if our fellow members tell us something they think is worth mentioning, and posting is generally better than not posting :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

lol, Art just beat me to the punch, but I'll post anyway

Quote from: ninzza on January 23, 2011, 02:22:54 PM
P.S. Sorry if this has been covered before.
No worries at all regarding something that has been posted before - I can't count the times I've posted something thinking it is new or different, and Art supplies a link to the original topic.  The bottom line is that it is perfectly fine to post something that has been written elsewhere - we have so many posts that it is very difficult to find items of interest, so my general method is to just post the question, or like you did in this post - simply write of my experience.

I guarantee that it will help someone that is looking for information.  :-X

mandru

Sometimes posting about something previously mentioned causes the original poster or others that participated in another thread to shake loose a memory on the topic that hasn't been covered before which is always a good thing.  :)  :-X

Sniping?

I love sniping too but for some situations I like loud weapons like the M1903 or the AS50 ( the biggest and boomiest ) that make the mercs come looking for me as I prefer drawing them out into the open rather than having to dig in and have to go looking for them.   :-X

Yeah sure, I can head PZ and Art giggling about that.  No I'm not too clumsy for stealth.    ;)

For this location I noticed you started your list of targets with my old nemesis the mortar man on the island.  I swear that guy is telepathic at times.   >:((

I know right where you mean.  That big rock is a very sweet spot with lots of defensive and assault positions for what ever direction you want to move.  If I ever get caught flatfooted in that area the big rock is where I rush to get dug in or at least loose any pursuit.   :-X
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

ninzza

Thanks for your kind words guys.

Before I discovered this big rock, the morta guy drove me insane. Even if I manage to swim to where he stays and kill him, the guys on those fanboats still spot me while I'm crouching in the thick foliage preparing to snipe the guards patrolling around the valve and kill me instantly with their M-79 granade launchers. These guys must have super eyesight, I guess.   :-()

PZ

Here's another method that you might try if you get a chance.  Make your way to the GP that has the large health pack (see this map) on the west side of the lake, clear it of mercs and wait for the gunboats.  Eventually three gunboats will find you (you may need to make noise) - kill the mercs manning them and you'll have your choice of boats - one of them is a grenade launcher.  Use this boat to approach the mortar island from the north - the guy will not see you - land the boat and you can nearly always sneak up on the guy to pop him with a 6P9 up close, or even with your machete.

This is the method that I use most often because it is an easy drive south from Mosate Selao.

mandru

My memory is kind of like a Piñata.  Hit me with a stick and who knows what will fall out.   ???

A tip on the fan boats (as long as you're carrying sniper gear provided it's something other than the dart rifle) if you can't pick off the mercs piloting them at long range then shoot out their engine.   :-X

If you can hit either the pilot or the gunner on a boat that eliminates the risk of the boat's grenade launchers because if there's only one merc on a boat he will be driving and more likely to reach for his rifle rather than man the big gun.

PZ's observation (he sneaked that in while I was trying to edit this comment) is a good one too.  :-X
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

Quote from: mandru on January 23, 2011, 04:36:54 PM
My memory is kind of like a Piñata.  Hit me with a stick and who knows what will fall out.   ???
^+-+ good one  :-X  I'm the same

ninzza

Quote from: PZ on January 23, 2011, 04:25:24 PM
Here's another method that you might try if you get a chance.  Make your way to the GP that has the large health pack (see this map) on the west side of the lake, clear it of mercs and wait for the gunboats.  Eventually three gunboats will find you (you may need to make noise) - kill the mercs manning them and you'll have your choice of boats - one of them is a grenade launcher.  Use this boat to approach the mortar island from the north - the guy will not see you - land the boat and you can nearly always sneak up on the guy to pop him with a 6P9 up close, or even with your machete.

This is the method that I use most often because it is an easy drive south from Mosate Selao.

Thanks PZ. I replayed this mission and used the method you suggested and it worked fairly well.

PZ

I'm glad it worked  :-X  It is an alternate method when you become bored of others.  In fact, I'm trying to discover new approaches to some of the old missions that I've done before.  ;)

ninzza

Yeah one of the good things about FC2 is that we can find many ways to tackle a mission and that makes its replayability so high compared to linear FPS such as COD4 ...

After succesfully destroyed the safety valve, I went to rupture the pipeline. In the last playthroughs, I went in with guns blazing but now I try another approach. I used the dart rifle to take out both the sniper and a normal guy at the tower from the West, then used my AS50 to take out another sniper and several guys before using the mounted M-79 grenade launcher to kill the rest.  ;D This tactic gives more much more satisfaction than the previous one.  :)

Art Blade

that is the sound of brute force, AS50 and M-79.. slightly covered in sugar with a whisper of the dart rifle.  >:D :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

ninzza

Quote from: Art Blade on January 25, 2011, 01:38:56 PM
that is the sound of brute force, AS50 and M-79.. slightly covered in sugar with a whisper of the dart rifle.  >:D :-X

eheheh What's your tactic, Art ?  :)

Art Blade

I try to kill as many mercs as possible on my way up, using 6p9, silenced mp, and dart, and grenades of course. And then blow the thing to smithereens.  >:D

Maybe you'll find something in my journals. For example A Different Approach (if you've played FC2 through)

QuoteIn Bowa you sometimes need to get past the southern shore of that lake, passing Mertens-Segolo Pipeline Company, which also often involves the mortar guy on the little isle. Here is a different approach that worked like a charm:

Coming from the Marina, I stopped my car at the roadside a little away from the GP that is located at the centre of that MSPC map, so my engine wouldn't give away my position. I crouched to the left where that corrugated iron fence is, and there is a big block of a rock, right next to the junction, from my viewpoint the sandbags with a SAW were behind that rock. The funny thing is, you can smoothly crouch up and on top of that rock if you walk along the fence! Perfect view over the entire junction and GP. The mercs mostly miss you due to the angle if you are crouched, just move around and shoot them. I took out two ATPs without blowing them up (too much noise might attract the mortar guy). After silently erasing the GP, I walked up to the shack with that stationary orange AT with the diamond case, and straight on to the top of that cap. On the rocky cliff there you have a nice view over the lake and a straight line to the mortar guy... maybe you need to wait for him as he wanders around that isle sometimes, but he will show up. I took him out with a dart - he never fired his mortar :) The spot is also perfect for killing the three patrol boat crews. It is unbelievably simple from there. The rest of the mercs around the house are the only challenge, but they are only like a handful. I kept walking in and out of that house, killing one by one... piece of cake. I don't know why I never did it that way before, the entire "job" costed my one syrette to patch me up, but that was due to some silly mistake, overestimating myself there, hehe :)

When you drive on SW, you will pass MS-Pipeline and come to the safehouse next to that antenna. If you walk towards the antenna, you can see part of MS-Pipeline (and their sniper shot at me!) - First you wait for the ATPs (two, if you haven't killed them before) and shoot them from the hill of your safehouse, even if they drive up to the house, you will manage to kill them quite easily. The ruckus might attract MS-Pipeline mercs, so if you wait, you can take them out one by one as well. After that, it is fun to walk to their base and kill the two or three remaining mercs... never been so easy to take MS-Pipeline :) Now you're almost around the southern shore of the lake... quite easy now to go on from there.

ninzza

That sounds good, Art.  :-X  I'll try your approach tonight.

:-X

Art Blade

:) Good luck, have fun  :-X

By the way, there is a discussion topic and pics that illustrate some of what is being mentioned in that journal.

PZ

I just love this game  :-X

I recently entered the southern map (Bowa) and started right in with the weapon's dealer missions (as soon as I finished with the barge, of course)

The barge was easy for me this time for some reason - I just used the front-center grenade launcher and blanketed the hills to the front and left side - must have had luck taking out the RPG and mortar mercs.  :-()

Art Blade

I might end up starting another playthrough myself.  ^+-+

PZ

I'm enjoying it so much, I'm playing it on both platforms again - the PS3 in the morning on weekends, and the PC after w@&k in the evening.   ^+-+

ninzza

I still find it as addictive as it was 3 year ago. But I don't want to playthrough it from beginning. I reload some saves to replay missions I like, especially the ones in Bowa Seko since I have better weapons.

:)

Art Blade

That's what I do on occasions: Grab a good savegame and play randomly from there. I have some savegames prepared for just that reason, something like 70% completion, all areas open, all weapons purchased. Just horse around and wreak havoc until my eyes start to bleed  >:D

PZ

For once I'm playing the part of a purist - starting from the very beginning, including the opening cut scenes, and no cheats! (that's remarkable for me - I typically don't have the patience to be shot and killed  >:D

Art Blade

Tags:
🡱 🡳