Artificial Dumbness

Started by JRD, March 12, 2009, 02:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Here's a funny one - I've been using the flare pistol quite a bit and have been improving my aim.  I hit one merc this morning from a distance and he starts gasping as the flames engulf him - and he had the audacity to pull his flare pistol out and fire one into the air!  Talk about a dumb guy...  ;)

Art Blade

the buddies are helping you consider whether or not to kill them later  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Ricamundo

Quote from: JRD on June 17, 2009, 07:54:14 AM
hahahaha great one PZ...
I almost can see it... a beautyful landscape, sunset and drowning mercs... poetic  ;D ;D ;D

[smg id=826]

Speaking of sunsets, or sunrises, that reminded me of a pic i took a while back, that i liked so much i now use it on my DT. Even my wife was impressed. ;)
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

PZ

That's a beautiful one Ricamundo!

Notice how we seem to be saying things like "even the wife is impressed" implying that most wives must think that we're just big kids wasting our time playing video games!   ;D

Ricamundo

Quote from: PZ on June 18, 2009, 08:28:27 AM
That's a beautiful one Ricamundo!

Notice how we seem to be saying things like "even the wife is impressed" implying that most wives must think that we're just big kids wasting our time playing video games!   ;D

I think my wife was just happy that i got rid of my old DT wallpaper, a pic of a Porsche Turbo. ;)
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

Art Blade

nice pic it is, Ricamundo :)

Quote from: PZ on June 18, 2009, 08:28:27 AMmost wives must think that we're just big kids wasting our time playing video games!   ;D

Funny, isn't it, that men maintain the ability of "playing" (be it FC2 or Porsches or wrist watches) whereas women seem to have lost that ability... maybe there are a few exceptions, though (thinking of young SoulFallen)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

I overheard an interesting verbal disagreement between a UFLL and an APR merc in Port Selao this morning.  Although I could not make out the words initially (was too far away), as I approached I heard the UFLL guy say "oh yeah, APR stands for  A Pathetic Regiment" and the APR guy replied "shut up..." in a menacing voice.  For a moment I thought a fire fight was going to break out.

Art Blade

hahahaha! never heard that one... amazing that there are still lines you'd never heard of.

PZ

A hilarious FC2 moment this morning - was driving north toward Pala when a Datsun dummy came up behind me (was in a Unimog).  He drove into me so fast he pushed me - I mounted the .50 and aimed back toward him intending to make him stop pushing my vehicle, but to my surprise I could not see him at all (thought it was a bug).  Then to make matters worse, from behind me (in front of the Uni) came a voice (as my Uni was still being propelled forward) that said "Game over a$$... ahhhhhh..hhahhhh.ahhhh".

The Datsun dummy had pushed my Uni right over the top of one of his buddies.  But where is the Datsun?  I hopped out and my Uni was on top of it!

Art Blade

retiredgord

What a Kodak moment..that would make a cool poster  lol
The sun is over the yardarm somewhere in the world..time for a beer :)  :)

PZ

You're telling me; another example of wishing that I had recorded the console.  In fact, the Uni was so high off the ground that I had to get into the Datsun to drive from beneath it.  What an interesting experience that was - looking out the windshield at the tires and chassis of a Unimog - the thing looked like a semi and completely shaded me from the sun...

RedRaven

i know this thread is about "Artificial Dumbness" but recently some mercs seem to of adapted to some of my tactics? some examples -

>the more i play using grenades/rockets/IEDs and, well anything that will blow them up i guess, i get more and more grenades thrown at me (that is when they do throw them at ME and not the wall or tree they are behind, or even funnier a vehicle thats on same side (good when they do that as it saves my grenades  ;D )

> also have alot of fun using the nearest vehicle as a merc-mower, but they have started jumping out of the way (the cheek of it) first few games i played thru they either ran away or mostly just stood/crouched there - guess they must be part deaf as some dont even turn to look as i plant my bumper up their rear ends ?

has anyone else out there in merc land noticed any actual Artificial Intelligence - or attempts at it by the enemy mercs? or does anyone know some interesting facts on the AI used in FC2?

cheers everyone, happy hunting
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

JRD

Sorry... don't know any interesting fact about AI in FC2.

What I can say is I don't think they'll adapt to your tactics. As far as I know difficulty levels only apply to ammount of ammo/grenades you can carry (or they drop when downed), hit damage on you vs them and health bar size (slightly bigger on easier levels).

It would be funnier to have an adaptative AI... this way you'd be forced to change your tactics throughout the game.
I heard about learnig AI in some games, but never really felt it in any game I've played (not a massive gamer though).

Thats a good question  :-X... any facts about AI in Far Cry 2 anyone?
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

not much...

fuzzy logic, enables them to act according to a system of priorities:
- no enemies around, can sit down and have a beer. Enemies spotted, go alert, search area, even call help using flares
- enemy far: use long range weapons. Enemy close: use side arm. You know those RPG snipers, if you're too close they use their uzis.
- if someone is wounded, help him only if no enemies are nearby (at least if they think so)

fuzzy logic basically tries to emulate human behaviour, we do act quite like that.

RedRaven

didnt really think it would be that advanced (would of given Ubi excuse to charge double if it was!).
reckon its just coincided with my progression thru difficulty levels etc. just got me thinking as it seemed it was certain groups of mercs in 3 different games..... one day maybe :)
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

JRD

Thats true, but even if you attack enemies the same way, with the same loadout... their behavior and tactics to get you will be basically the same, as you just described, which means they do not learn from your behavior or their mistakes  ;)

Imagine if after sniping some mercs and moving in over and over the same spot they begin to prepare an ambush... that'd be cool.
Imagine if they just leave an ammo pile or a diamond case unsupervised, but are hiding somewhere just waiting for you to get close and attack at all at once??  8)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

RedRaven

would certainly make me think twice and more about assaulting some places, as it is i tend to get my target (outpost / case etc) at the edge of visual range, get at least half hidden behind a massive rock or behind thick tree trunk, pull out the M1903 and watch them, often waiting for that split second when two mercs walk past each other down the line of fire, shoot and you can hit both, killing 1 and wounding other (not got the double-kill yet, job for the AS50 i reckon) aproaching that way and using machette/grenades and fire enables me to keep accuracy above 100%, so when it comes to really needing to shoot a fuel can it does not take me below 100% :-X ;)

Art Blade

JRD, that thought of yours is cool yet the imagination of a game like that frightens me ;D

dke58, the AS50 is good for a double kill through the chests. Any sniper rifle and even a 6P9 can do a double-kill if you go for a double headshot. But the chances to miss are significantly higher with a target as small as a head, especially if moving.

RedRaven

only managed a few double-kills, usually from as far away as possible can take a shot that kills one but only wounds second guy, but a hit is a hit, dont have to run as fast after them if they are hobbling away, even easier if another merc comes over to carry his wounded pall off to safety, need to w@&k on crippling hits instead of kill-shoots for a bit ;D

Art Blade

haha, the Dragunov is just perfect for that. Just shoot legs with it :)

RedRaven

indeed, if you take a breath between shots it hardly ever seems to have much recoil. think going to have to get it down off the wall for a hunting trip now ;)

PZ

I read somewhere (Prima guide, I think) that as you player higher difficulty levels, the AI will become better at coordinated flanking and such - I've had no experience myself though...

Art Blade

When I tested different difficulty levels I only found myself deprived of healing abilities, ammo and grenades, yet the AI wasn't all of a sudden superior. They do use tactics and flank you even on easy. We do have a vid here that demonstrates two approaches at the same location/situation on different levels, yet the result, better AI attack, may have been random.

tehsam016

I'm fairly sure the only big difference in difficulty modes is how many shots it takes to kill you. The 50. cal tears you up in hardcore mode, and I heard it can kill you in 1-2 shots in infamous. However the enemy AI seems about the same, maybe a bit more ruthless when they're fighting you. Anyway, last time I was playing (i'm on hardcore I mind you) I was traveling down the river in the bowa-seko region(forgot where exactly). As i was traveling down the river I noticed another boat was approaching from ahead so i decided to ditch my boat and jump into some bushes on land and proceed further down the river. A couple minutes down the river I see an enemy outpost along the river with about 4-5 guys in it. I closely examined which one was furthest from the pack, and took my shot with my trusty dragunov which lead to a perfect head shot. Since the dragunov is relatively loud, this of course sent the rest into a small cautionary state. As I scanned the outpost for the rest of my victims I catch two crossing their little footbridge. The first one made it across fine but the one behind must have met his fate with a banana peel as he slipped off the bridge into the water with arms flailing and everything. Gave me quite a laugh as I finished off the rest.  ;D

Tags:
🡱 🡳