Game rating: ArmA 2

Started by JRD, August 26, 2010, 07:07:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

Game title
ArmA 2

Category            Rating            Category Details
Story line8A deep political background with many twists and characters. What you are doing and why is very beievable and how the story unfolds is very carefully thought!
Graphics8If you play on a high end machine with graphics maxed out you see a beautiful game full of details. The color pallet seems a bit dull and pale but overall models are very well made and has a good attention to details.
Sound3apart from pre recorded messages, any voice acting is terrible. I was impressed to see a game making it to release like that! Other sound effects like guns and explosions lack strenght.
Game play6 Alternated moments of thrilling battles with memorable firefights packed with action and boring, endless search for something to do or someone to shoot at! As in other warsim, they sometimes forget the fun factor - we want the fun part of a war, not the boring part! Game is also full of bugs and triggers fails... patch, patch and patch  and yet a lot to fix.
Replay value7if you can overlook its flaws, you have a huge playground to try whatever you want. A truly sandbox game (although not a well finished one). Story has a few branchings so if you play it again you can choose other paths. Some of you actions will afect the end, so you have a few playthroughs to aim at (provided you can stand finishing the first one, of course).

Final thoughts
If you are looking for a trued sequel for Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis, you found it... a massive war sim. Too bad that bugs and some issues ruin the overall experience of this game, it could've been one of the best games of all times otherwise.
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

Great review - the only thing I would add is the ability to mod the game, and get down into the coding of the individual items and characters.  I recall adding all sorts of mod items, such as the Cheytac sniper, King Tiger tank, and many others.  It is a great game for the programmer at heart.  :-X

Your review has inspired me to do one myself on ArmA2  ;)

JRD

You are right, I completely forgot about modding. That`s because I didn`t mod A2 before, only one mod RedRaven mentioned about sunlight and overall improvements. I like to play vanilla first and then change whatever I feel like changing!.

I`m glad you are prone to write a review yourself... I decided to write this one as I`m reinstalling A2 on my laptop to see if I can play it!

Looking forward to read yours  :-X
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Tags:
🡱 🡳