Started by JRD, August 17, 2010, 01:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

Includes 4-pack and all DLC!

I am tempted, I must say!  >:D >:D >:D
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

mmosu

Art Blade

yeah, do it --  at least you'd have the game and could play it later (I too have a copy sitting on my desk waiting for installation)  ;)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

I'm still to check if it has a decent SP mode. I know that Borderlands is a game with a non appealing MP experience to me... not my cup of tea, so I'd give it a go if I can play it at home and enjoy a nice plot!

mmosu

The SP is mainly where it's at for me, although I do play online some too.  And look at it this way - with that sale it's like you're getting all the DLCs for free!

JRD

Does STEAM/VALVE cuts you guys in somehow? And I started this thread!  :-()

Dammit... I got it!  >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

You only live once, so you better spend some time gaming as well!

Art Blade

Although I've never purchased anything  online, I still benefit from free DLC provided by STEAM. I bought my game in a shop, as always, and bought an extra DVD with two add-ons: 1) The Zombie Island of Dr.Ned and 2) Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot. Like you I don't plan to play MP. :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mmosu

Quote from: JRD on August 18, 2010, 02:03:52 PM

Dammit... I got it!  >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

Ha! Yeah  :-X
You'll both enjoy the SP - the story is intentionally goofy at times but it's very entertaining and there's plenty of it with all the new stuff that keeps getting added.  And when that starts to wear thin you can start modding  >:D.

JRD

Man... am I glad I did got this game!  8)

I was playing this game for the last two hours and thinking: why did I miss this one?  :-()

Well, this game was released in a very, very busy moment of my life last year so I barely had time to check it properly or read through the posts here at OWG  :-(

I remember checking some gameplay vids and it didn't appeal to me... I mean, the visuals are great, I love the cartoonish style of the game, but it seemed like a dumb run and gun FPS meant to be played online on frenetic multiplayer battles, with no background or objectives...

Oh, but I was wrong...  >:D

One thing that really hooked me... the song!  :-D No kidding... when I saw a video of the intro on youtube playing the groovy "Ain't no rest for the wicked" I thought... that's it, I like it  >:D >:D >:D

Today I spent the day in the office listening to the outstanding intro song just waiting for the moment to go back home and play it first time - I left STEAM downloading and installing the game this morning!

Right now I'm reading through posts holding a Sol in my hands, playing the first few missions and choosing which character I like the most!!!

:-))

Art Blade

I'll join you lot some time soon  ;)

mmosu

Yeah Art, you really gotta get your priorities staight  ;D

And to JRD:  glad you found it! I didn't think the story would hook me either but it did:  four degenerate pirates, who only came to such a forsaken planet to make a quick buck, and ended up getting sucked into so much more - what's not to love? "Ain't no rest for the wicked" is the perfect lyric because it really tells you everything you need to know about the vault hunters and their view of things.  Keep me posted on your character builds  :-X

JRD

What I like so far is that Borderlands is a pretty straightforward game... other RPGs I played were really painfull to understand... too many options, too much dialogue, too much branching in skills and levelling up and whatnot. In BL you choose one out of four characters according to your gaming style and that's it... the game will level up  by itself, just keep shooting  >:D

You have enough control over how you develop your skills without micromanaging... a great balance for my liking!  8)

So far I played with Mordecai for a while but was missing an assault rifle, so I swaped to Roland, who I got as far as level four only... about to go level five! RedRaven posted some links to characters' skill trees which I'm checking in order to see what to do next, get another character and get past the early beginning or just stick to Roland and see how it plays!  ;)

They also managed to create a great dynamics to level up and get experience points... you always think "just a little bit more to go up a notch" and end up playing for hours!!!  :-X :-X :-X

===================================EDIT===================================

Started a game with the Siren and I'm about to kill Nine Toes... she's great, very fast! Think I'll start a game with the Berserker and go as far as Nine Toes too... will have all four characters that far so I can get a feeling of how each one plays out and then move on with my favourite!

mmosu

Those skill tree calculators are handy, you can really plan out where you want to invest your skill points.  But if you make a mistake it's no big deal, cause for a small fee at a new-you station you can reallocate all your skill points.  That's just another feature that speaks to the "accessibility" of the RPG elements that you were talking about.  Technically Borderlands is an RPG, but it's done in a way that non-RPG people don't get overwhelmed by it . . . and technically it's also an FPS, but it's done in a way that non-FPS people don't get bored with it . . . a very clever and well executed mix of gaming genre elements!  :-X

Tags:
🡱 🡳