Ye oldie Far cry

Started by deadman1, June 27, 2010, 12:53:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadman1

I fired up the old FC today, it took a bit of finessing to make it run on a Win 7 64 bit system but I got going, It looks just as good if not better, now that I can run it with everything maxed out, as it did the first time around. I still don´t like the fact that you can´t save where you want to but have to rely on checkpoints. Thank god for devmode  ;)

JRD

Oh yeah... the old FC!!

I got it on a STEAM sale!  :-X

Cheats will help ypu throught the game in checkpoints and better guns right from start... but the fact that you have no ironsights... man, I had forgotten this!  :(

Still playable and enjoyable though, but it just doesn't feel like an FPS

Enjoy, mate!
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

fragger

The original FC was a really nice looking game, as I recall. There were some good merc lines in it, and I liked some of Jack's comments when he speaks to that Doyle guy over the phone, or radio, or whatever it was. I never could finish the final level though, in that crater with all those rocket-launching "fat boys". I always got killed before I could figure out what it was I was supposed to do in there.

Agree about the checkpoints and lack of ironsights :(

Have fun with it, deadman :-X

PZ

Quote from: deadman on June 27, 2010, 12:53:10 PM
... I still don´t like the fact that you can´t save where you want to but have to rely on checkpoints. Thank god for devmode  ;)
Reminds me of playing on the console - you could only save at the safe houses in FC2.

Dweller_Benthos

I don't remember checkpoint saves in the original Far Cry, though it has been a while. Either I had a save system cheat or the checkpoints were so close together I didn't care. More than likely a cheat. Yeah, now that I think of it, I seem to remember using the console to save. It was a cool game though, and also as I recall, as soon as the mutants started jumping me by surprise from behind while it was dark out, I turned on god mode. I did like the day / night cycle in the game though, gave you a real immersion, and you were damn glad when the sun came back up!
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

FarCry used to keep me busy for ages although starting to replay it, I almost always did like the first half of the game until I got to the point when there were too many mutants. I preferred the merc-based part of the game. I too cheated the sweet Jeebus out of the game to get more fun of it  :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

tehsam016

I agree with Art, the mutants kind of killed it for me as you spend a good majority of the game fighting mercenaries up until that point. It also forces you to rethink your strategies since they're usually thrown in with the mercenaries, but take ALOT more bullets to kill than mercs sometimes making it frustrating. I'm just glad they didn't try to pull something like that in Farcry 2, but i suppose Crysis was more of a sequel to it though.

Art Blade

Indeed I only bought CrySis(ter) because it was created by the devs who brought us FarCry, hoping for the "Next Gen" kind of sequel to FarCry to be more fun shooting aliens rather than mutants. But it was not half as much fun as the first half of the original FarCry. So instead of a Crying Sister we found a Laughing Brother in FarCry2, perhaps because it had been developed by someone else but the Yarli brothers. Now I'm enjoying JustCause2, which to me seems to be more a true sequel to FarCry than anything else although it has got nothing to do with any of the previously mentioned games.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

nexor

[smg id=3319]
Does this look familiar?

Art Blade

??? :-() It sure does  :-X Nice weapon, that one, GL and Assault Rifle packed together. Man, FC1 sure has some colours!

nexor

The only backdraw on this game is all the Zombies, otherwise a great game

FarCry 01
FarCry 02

I could only perform this trick with the handgun

Art Blade

lol @ "Arrrrrrgh!!" when you shot that merc through the floor  ^+-+

The AI was sometimes a little glitchy but the mercs had a lot of funny dialogue and lines  :)

fragger

That takes me back :)

Interestingly, I tried to fire up FC1 about a year ago and my graphics card didn't seem to like it - the ground textures wouldn't render at all, so everything looked like it was just hanging in mid-air. What's odd is that every other game I've played or have tried renders fine. Even updating the graphic card driver didn't help, so I had to abandon it.

But year, I'd forgotten how colourful and pretty FC1 was. Pity about the mutants and lack of ironsights, although I remember there was an "aim" mode for your weapons which let you zoom in a little and made you a tad more accurate.

JRD

I got a copy of FC1 last year and played as far as that wrecked ship by the beach when you end the first level of the game. The lack of ironsights really put me down and I didn`t fire FC1 since... will try another round one of these days using some cheat codes to get me some firepower and unlimited ammo  >:D

I noticed how fierce those mercs are and how much they hate you since the beginning. Early on into the game they are firing at you with rocket launchers and helicopters and coming blood-thirsty after you  ???

nexor

funny thing fragger, I just re-installed it on the same pc I originaly installed it and had exactly the same problem as you, everything showed blue at the spot where he starts off at the pipe and the only changes to the pc is drivers that got updated from the time I did the first install to now

fragger

It's an odd one, nex... FC1 is the only game I've ever had that problem with. It must be just super-finicky about what sort of cards it runs on. I no longer have the box or the manual so I don't know what graphics hardware was originally recommended for it.

I suppose I could Google it but I really can't be bothered anymore when I have FC2 to play with :-()

deadman1

Quote from: fragger on May 18, 2011, 01:53:19 AM
It's an odd one, nex... FC1 is the only game I've ever had that problem with. It must be just super-finicky about what sort of cards it runs on. I no longer have the box or the manual so I don't know what graphics hardware was originally recommended for it.

I suppose I could Google it but I really can't be bothered anymore when I have FC2 to play with :-()

I still have the box  ;) and the recommended system specs are:
1 Ghz CPU
256 MB RAM
Geforce 2 / AMD 8500

Art Blade

Today's mobile (cell) phones outshine those system specs.  :-D

fragger

:-D :-X Indeed!

Thanks for the info, deadman. Judging by those specs, neither nexor nor I should theoretically have a problem. Mind you, I can theoretically win the lottery and theoretically score a date with a supermodel - life is a banquet in the theoretical world :-()

deadman1

I think the problem lies in the game engine. The drivers we use today have functions that the old engine cannot handle, thus giving us the strange graphics.

JRD

Which is weird... so, today`s software are so advanced they cannot render a 2004 game?  ????  :D

Let alone ye oldie River Raid......  :-D

Art Blade

your blue ray disc or DVD or CD player can't play any vinyl records, either. :)

fragger

I did try once but I broke the record trying to squeeze it into the drive

JRD

Quote from: fragger on May 20, 2011, 12:46:42 AM
I did try once but I broke the record trying to squeeze it into the drive

^+-+  :-X

I was trying to come up with an answer to Art`s comment but nothing occurred to me!
Cheers, mate!  8)

Art Blade

Tags:
🡱 🡳