PORTAL

Started by deadman1, May 13, 2010, 01:16:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

Following mandru's train of thoughts, it might be a slice of some of those "sweet dietetic  puddings cakes  (liquefied baked  variants of fiberglass insulation)" :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

fragger's self linking portal reference brings to mind a web site I came across years ago that I'm not sure still even exists.  You would visit the site and enter a URL in one of several fields and it would display that web site translated into strange languages like The Muppet's Swedish Chef or Redneck.  It also had one URL window that would flip the page upside down and backwards in displaying it.

As for the propulsion gel birthday cake, it seems that whether you eat it or not you'll pass on it.  :o
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

Portal - Still Alive typography

An amusing Portal music video I came across.  I tried embedding it but that failed so I just gave the link and it seems to be working fine.
- mandru

Art Blade

Oh man, that tune is great, together with that voice.. wow :)  :-X And the "lyrics," HEHE  >:D

Art Blade

Found the Composer's version, he's singing himself
Jonathan Coulton Sings "Still Alive"

JRD

Hahahaha... that's a great song!!  ^+-+ :-X :-X :-X
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

mandru

Nice find Art.   :-X

The song amused me but the lines that really cracked me me up were:

Go ahead and leave me.  I think I prefer to stay inside.
Maybe you'll find someone else to help you.
Maybe Black Mesa.  That was a joke. Ha ha, fat chance,
anyway this cake is great, so delicious and moist...

Anyone that's played the original HalfLife knows that that series culminates with Black Mesa being seriously nuked into oblivion, an attempt to prevent the spread of the alien incursion.  Not that it did much good, the damage was done but that was all for the good as it allowed us to move out into the post industrial urban sprawl of HL2 and a chance to meet the new neighbors.  :-D
- mandru

Art Blade

That piece of music plus lyrics is fantastic. I liked the variations in it, the change of pace (singing) and the melody, hell, it is so good I downloaded the vid you posted and a version with karaoke-style lyrics written across the screen. :)

deadman1

Quote from: JRD on May 16, 2010, 02:45:10 PM
AAAAaaarrrrggghhh.... stuck at 18... all I have to do is take the cube.....  :D

But please... don't tell me how to do it, I wanna try it by myself!  ;)

Nice game, makes you think a lot... could be much longer, I wouldn't mind at all!!!  8)

All this talk about Portal 2 made me want to play Portal again, and I actually managed to get beyond room 15 where I got stuck last time I played it. Only thing now I´m stuck at room 18  >:((

JRD

Where exactly? I can give you a few hints if you like...

Oh, and another thing... when I posted this I thought it was close to the end but I was wrong... there`s more than meets the eye near the end  ;)

deadman1

Quote from: JRD on April 20, 2011, 10:26:54 AM
Where exactly? I can give you a few hints if you like...

Oh, and another thing... when I posted this I thought it was close to the end but I was wrong... there`s more than meets the eye near the end  ;)

I have taken care of the turrets, and now I need to get the energyball into the receptor behind the closed door. I just can´t seem to get the timing right between using portals to press the button that opens the door and shifting them in time to get the ball in the right place.

JRD

Ok, if I remember correctly you made your way up and now are in a large room whith three turrets, a floating platform and acid down below.

You can open a portal that puts you in front of a button you need to press in order to get that energyball into the receptor. When I played that level I managed to open a portal in that high wall in front of the button and stand  right at the portal, as if you are standing at the threshold of a door but instead of a door it's a portal. It seems like you are a bit far to push the button but actually you can push it. It gave me time to wait for the right moment to do it.

It's a bit tricky to explain what I did in such a complex puzzle when I have no visual aid, so I'm sorry if I can't be more clear about it. Let me know if you still stuck and maybe I can come up with something more elaborated to help you out

Good luck deadman!!  :-X

spaceboy

that's what i did JRD.  although I think I jumped and pushed the button in the air.  But yeah, I made a portal in the wall portion that sticks out then just walked over to the button basically.

it's just like most of the solutions.  They are sometimes hard to see but once you find it out you can't believe it wasn't evident from the start!  I had that experience already in P2, I couldn't believe I had trouble by just forgetting the more simple portal uses.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

JRD

I got stuck a step after the one deadman is right now. I managed to get rid of all hazards within that room but couldn't get to the cube across the acid pool  :D

It's just a matter of understanding how portals and physics w@&k combined and where to place a portal  ;)

Art Blade

something in me makes me say this: "NUKE IT!!" 8-X :-D

deadman1

Quote from: Art Blade on April 22, 2011, 12:43:47 PM
something in me makes me say this: "NUKE IT!!" 8-X :-D

That´s exactly how it feels some times when you get to some of the puzzles  :-()

RedRaven

Watched a few Youtube vids of Portal 2 yesterday and it looks like a lot of frustrating fun, will be getting it asap.
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

spaceboy

sweet Red - Aperture is always in need of new test subjects :)

fragger

Have you played P1, Red?

RedRaven

No, at the time was not much of a gamer, mainly played Rome Total war and X2 back then when not making noise and animations on various computers or out gigging / sound engineering.

Probably gonna pick up a cheap copy though when I see one.
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

fragger

Just curious. It's not necessary to play P1 prior to playing P2. P1 might seem more simplistic after playing P2 but it's certainly still challenging and worth doing if you like P2.

Hope to see you in the test chambers soon :)

spaceboy

yeah, but I'd definitely play the first game first (and the second one second).  ::) 

you're relationship with GLaDOS and the facility in general is much more fleshed out if you have gone through the first.  It will be more meaningful.

mmosu

Agreed there  :-X
Red, when you go to get Portal 2, keep in mind that if you get the PS3 version, you also get a free copy of the game for your PC, with both versions being linked via Steam.  That way you have the option to play on either system, and your progress in one carries over to the other.

RedRaven

PS3 it is.....doubt my current pc will run it but be good to have it for when I upgrade. Cheers for the heads up.

Tags:
🡱 🡳