PORTAL

Started by deadman1, May 13, 2010, 01:16:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Those remind me of the jumping boards in AC2  ;D

fragger

Cheers, tehsam016 :-X I haven't seen those before, but they do look a lot like the things in the game.

JRD

Indeed it looks like what Lady PORTAL has on her feet!

By the way, I finished the game... very nice game indeed. The twist in the end is great and do extend the game a lot!

I agree that replay value is low after you realise how to go through each puzzle, but I will try it one more time just for the fun of it. Thinking in portals is outstanding. This is a great game!  :-X
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

tehsam016

It is a great game, can't wait for Portal 2.

JRD

Portal 2?  8)

Really??   :)

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah, Portal 2 is in the works, and I think it ties in somehow with the long-awaited Half Life 2 Episode 3. Errr.... maybe not, now that I think of it, it's supposed to take place much later, the preview vids show the Aperture Labs all overgrown with vines and stuff like it's been laying dormant for a long time. Then again, you don't really know what time frame Portal 1 was in, so.....

Doing the test chambers that unlock after finishing the game are fun, too. You have ones set to a certain time limit, number of portals, etc....
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

sounds promising for those who liked portal in the first place :)

Quote from: JRD on July 30, 2010, 01:01:21 PM
Portal 2?  8)

Really??   :)

haha, great post JRD  :-X I can virtually see how happy you are about the mere thought a next gen portal game is coming  :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

tehsam016

Hehe his post reminds me of the seagulls in Finding Nemo for some reason.
"Mine? Mine?"
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Art Blade

HAHAHA!!  ;D  :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on July 30, 2010, 01:07:52 PM
Yeah, Portal 2 is in the works, and I think it ties in somehow with the long-awaited Half Life 2 Episode 3.

You're probably right, D_B. Towards the end of Episode 2, when watching the smuggled-out video of Judith Mossman from on board that lost ship (the Borealis, I think it was called?), there's a crate or something in view with the "Aperture" logo on it. I think something is said by one of the characters about the chief rivals to Black Mesa in the development of teleport technology having been reckless with the science and causing some kind of nasty "unforeseen consequences" - something along those lines.

In any case, I'm looking forward to both those games :P

tehsam016

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BES9W0goFdc#ws

New Portal 2 gameplay vid :). Expect yourselves to be saying "What!?" and "Wow!" constantly throughout the viewing.

Art Blade

graphics look great :-X and the game seems to be pure madness  ???

JRD

Outstanding vid tehsam... thanks a lot!  :-X

Yes, its pure Portal with new elements... this is going to be a great game!  :)

tehsam016

Yeah it's going to be quite mind-blowing, and to think it's also going to have a coop mode :o.

PZ

JRD

That`s one of the most addictive and original games I ever played! I knew they just couldn`t run out of ideas with this game. It defies the logic and laws of physics, it`s extremely challenging and incredibly fun... it was just a matter of time before they come up with a sequel and for what the video shows, it`s gonna be really cool! That propulsion and repellent plasma idea gives another level of interaction with puzzles, and that tube thing carrying cubes also open new ways of solving puzzles!

mandru

From what I can make out of the story line so far, the game Portal happens at a parallel company (Aperture) in the same world/universe that Black Mesa Corp from the HalfLife series of games are centered around.  The trouble in the HL series arises from alien lifeforms slipping into our world through gateways opened by Black Mesa. The intruding life forms include a highly advanced amalgamation of species intent on converting the human race into biological tools for various purposes throughout their empire.

Is the computer system that has control of the company Aperture in the Portal series an alien introduced machine intelligence or is it a human invention that has outstripped and overthrown its "deemed as critically flawed" creators and run amok?

tehsam016's vid clip is pretty amazing but have you paused it and read the descriptions of the elements as they are being introduced?

The descriptions for Repulsion Gel and Propulsion Gel are hilariously described as sweet dietetic puddings (liquefied variants of fiberglass insulation) that were pulled from the markets for various reasons and really gives the impression that these were products designed and created by a computer for human consumption with no in depth understanding of what it takes to keep a human alive.

"What do you mean the test subject died?  This is a perfectly viable product and it's consumption by nature of its indigestible components should be harmless.  Bring in the next obese test subject and see if you can't do something to stop that annoying screaming!"

There's an old Arthur C. Clarke short story that involves highly devoted computerized houses that love and protect their inhabitants to death and I'm kind of wondering if that is the direction the computer systems in Aperture Corp have chosen.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

fragger

Whoa... Looks like the puzzles in Portal have been taken to a whole new level (pardon the pun). That looks like some intense problem-solving! Thanks for finding, tehsam016 :-X

Interesting take there, mandru. I know of the Arthur C. Clarke story you alluded to, but I can't remember the name of it.

Btw, did anyone listen to the song at the end of Portal 1? It's hilarious!

Definitely looking forward to Portal2 now.

"Where's my cake? You promised me my cake!" ;D

JRD

Hey fragger... is your sig a Homer Simpson's quote? He says the same thing in an episode he's trying to gain weight so he falls into a handicap category of worker and thus is assigned to w@&k from home!  ^+-+

Art Blade

JRD, his sig is He who laughs last didn't get it -- I think you just read and referred to the last line of his post :)

JRD

Oh... right... anyway, reminds me of The Simpsons... although he's talking about another cake!

Art Blade

fragger

It's a line from am old cult classic, black-comedy film called "Creepshow", which was an anthology of seven short horror stories. In the first one, this mean old patriarch is bumped off by his own daughter on Father's Day while he's waiting for her to bring him his cake. She did this in revenge for the father having arranged the murder of her husband sometime earlier. Seven years later, the old man comes shambling back from the grave, bumping off all his greedy, ungrateful relatives while still asking for his cake.

Since your character in Portal is promised a cake at the end of the proceedings, that line sprang to mind. I was curious to see if anyone would recognise it ;D

tehsam016

Speaking of cake I wonder if you'll finally acquire the much promised cake at the end of Portal 2. That would be hilarious if all this was just for a slice of delicious cake :P.

fragger

Tags:
🡱 🡳