Creative Alchemy for X-Fi with Vista 64

Started by Rangoon, January 21, 2010, 12:32:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rangoon

Hi,

Does anyone else here use an X-Fi Card with Vista 64-bit?  I'm just wondering what settings others have found to w@&k.  I'm using:

Buffers: 4
Duration: 5
Maximum Voice Count: 128

I still do get some pops here and there, but can't find any better settings to use.  I read that FC2 uses DirectSound - can anyone confirm this?  If so, Alchemy is required to get EAX working.  No options in the menu for EAX, but FC2 is listed here:

http://connect.creativelabs.com/alchemy/Lists/Games/AllItems.aspx

Thanks!

Art Blade

I don't use it, but I found out that it might have to do with the chipset. Apparently nforce chipsets are causing problems, while for example X48 doesn't. There are 64bit drivers out from Creative Labs but they may not always help. Somtimes Sound Hardware Acceleration might cause trouble, in that case reduce the acceleration. There might be yet another workaround: Inside the game folder, find that folder soundbinary
and edit the dare.ini file changing disable_optimisation from true to false.

This seems to be another kind of problem that some people have to suffer from while others don't.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Rangoon

Quote from: Art Blade on January 21, 2010, 11:24:19 AMInside the game folder, find that folder soundbinary
and edit the dare.ini file changing disable_optimisation from true to false.

Does this disable EAX?

Thanks for the input Art Blade.  I do have the latest 64-bit drivers and Alchemy version.  For the most part Alchemy does a good job, but not always perfect.  My main complaint with it is that I have to determine whether each new game I install uses DirectSound or not (which is not always easy). 

It's not so bad I can't live with it.  Same goes for the mysterious huge green blobs/circles which flash on my screen from time to time (also FC2). 

Oh well, I'm sure simpler gaming times are just around the corner. ;)

Art Blade

Sure hope so, mate ;D

The part you quoted (and the rest I posted) is supposed to help solve sound glitches. You may still play around with it, see if it helps :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Tags:
🡱 🡳