Moving from North to South...

Started by daghanson, January 14, 2010, 05:43:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daghanson

Hello everyone!

New to the site and to the game, just started playing Far Cry 2 about two weeks ago.  I have completed the UFLL missions in the North, just started the APR missions and killed the police chief.  My question is probably a silly one, and just something I am curious about.  When you complete the missions up top and move South, do you keep your weapons/upgrades and your safehouses/upgrades?  When I unlock my first safehouse in the South, will I have the health station, etc?

By the way, enjoying your site, the maps and other info are great.  I have learned things about the game that I may not have ever figured out on my own.  In my travels I have come across a lot of other game forums that I have looked at but never been able to participate in, I find the comments and attitudes not to my taste.  Nice to find a site where the members are respectful of each others opinions, abilities, etc.

Game on!

JRD

Hello daghanson and welcome to OWG

As you already noticed, our membership is very respectful with each other... our only two rules here are

1 - Have fun... if it' s not funny, then something is wrong  ;)

2 - Respect other member' s opinion and ideas!

Therefore, there are no silly questions... ask away!  ;D ... I found myself asking questions whose answers were absolutely obvious a few times  ::)

Now to answer youÇ
Your upgrades will continue as you progress into the game. Weapons purchased will always be available at your armoury and if you have a safehouse upgraded (ammo pile, fuel pile, med station etc) it will remain like that during the game

You might find your reputation lower after a few mishaps during the game (saying more could spoil your playthrough  ;) ) but it won't affect anything other than the way mercs behave towards you in Pala and Sefapane.

Welcome again and have fun

Don't hesitate to ask whatever you want!!
Cheers
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

daghanson

Thanks JRD, I really appreciate the welcome and the answer to my question.

My reputation in the game has probably suffered greatly so far, as I'm pretty much just stomping around killing everything I see.  What fun!  I think on my next playthrough I might go for the methodical approach, try to get every single diamond, buddy, mission, etc.  Right now I am just enjoying the game and working on my assault tactics (some of the weapons are a little nuts) too much to really care about the little stuff. 

I have never found myself hooked like this on a game before, not sure what that means, but I want to enjoy it while it lasts... 

JRD

Quote from: daghanson on January 14, 2010, 06:39:48 AM
I have never found myself hooked like this on a game before, not sure what that means, but I want to enjoy it while it lasts...

Then you definetly came to the right place  ;D
FC2 is the game that got us all together. OWG begun as a site dedicated to FC2 only, but soon it grew up to embrace all open world games alike.
Enjoy your first playthrough and don~t worry... replay value in this game is endless as you'll see if you browse through the forums abit  ;)

One tip for you... do all buddy missions - both the subverted missions when your buddy calls you on the phone after you take a UFLL-APR mission and the ones they give you at Mike's - these missions raise you reputation and you get upgrades on your safehouses plus an extra "respect" from mercs in towns.
What I meant in the last post is that if you loose reputation, you keep the upgrades (unless I'm really wrong) but mercs will have an attitude towards you, which is nothing but a nice excuse to start a shooting session in an otherwise cease fire zone  ;D ;D

Anyway... when you rep level goes down you'll raise it up soon!

mandru

Hi and welcome to OWG daghanson.  :-X

I'll add just for clarity that any weapon unlocked at the gun shop and armory will be yours throughout the game. You get the unlimited bullet buffet for each piece of kit you unlock there.  ;D

But when you go into the second half of the game in the South your safe houses are reset and depending on the completion of your Best Buddy's additions to the faction missions you start to rebuild the features added to your safe houses.

Ammo, fuel and explosives upgrades have to be re-earned along with the upgrades on your Assault Trucks (ATs) stationed at the safe houses but I believe the ATs are there from the start of the Southern campaign so you can count on there being wheels when you need them and it is possible that the health kits are also available but I can't remember if it's the full size first aid station or just one of the little single serving containers.

Sorry I don't have a game save at that point to check quickly for you to be completely sure.

Note: I see that you are playing on the PS3 daghanson which may be different. So it is entirely possible that I've completely misstated my comment here as my entire playing experience is based on PC play.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

JRD

Let me quote myself...

Quote from: JRD on January 14, 2010, 07:13:35 AM
What I meant in the last post is that if you loose reputation, you keep the upgrades (unless I'm really wrong) but mercs will have an attitude towards you, which is nothing but a nice excuse to start a shooting session in an otherwise cease fire zone  ;D ;D

Anyway... when you rep level goes down you'll raise it up soon!

.. and I was really wrong  ::)  :P  :-[

Sorry for the confusion. I remember loosing reputation, but not safehouses upgrades. What I do remember is that earning higher level of reputaion back is a bit faster (or even easier) once you go south, which might be due to better weapons at your disposal!

PZ

Welcome to OWG, daghanson!

I also play the PS3, and my recollection of the safe house status is the same as mandru wrote.  However, I do recall one time that my reputation in the north was high enough to earn the mounted .50 cal on the assault truck, but when I went to the south, I had been reverted back to the small machine gun on the AT.

Art Blade

Welcome to OWG, daghanson :)

Thanks for the kind words, enjoy the site and please keep posting. We all like input from other gamers, and you found the right spot if you want to share your thoughts about FC2  ;D

I think your questions have been answered, but I want to add that you will keep all your upgrades in Leboa once you move on to Bowa. It is possible to return to Leboa, but you should not have any missions going in Bowa when you go back (might cause a crash). When back in Leboa, your rescue buddy will be ready for you but you can only reactivate him/her in a safehouse back at Bowa.

Hehe, one small advice (which may slap a smile on some of our members' faces) -- drink water. Water bottles restore your health and you can save a syrette  ;)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

daghanson

You guys are great, thanks to all for the welcome and info.

Question for Art Blade:  I understand where you're coming from on the water issue, makes sense that it would help, but I can't seem to drink any.  I noticed when I first started playing that the water bottles seem to glow like ammo and other goodies, but my action button does not seem to activate when I stand near them, like it does with ammo or health.  What am I doing wrong?

Cheers!

Art Blade

you're too healthy!  ;D

They cannot be collected and carried around. But if you are injured, they "turn" into a first aid  ;)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

daghanson

Hey, thanks for that!
I was sure I was doing something wrong there...

Art Blade

Ok, if you call that "wrong" I can help you:

Walk up to some mercs, show yourself, stick your tongue out and wait for them to open fire. DON'T return their fire. Just wait until you're almost bleeding to death. With your last spark of life, grab a bottle of water, and enjoy the refreshing power of its crystal clear content. THEN kill the mercs.  ;D

daghanson

Art Blade, I am going to try that tonight.
Now I'm all excited about somehing new, and the clock will crawl slowly towards 5pm...

Cheers!

Art Blade

Really? Erm, I mean, naturally! ;D Enjoy!

By the way, you really don't need to be on the brink of dying, a mosquito bite might be suffice already, to use water. Basically, you can use water instead of a syrette. As long as you play on Easy, it will completely refill your health bar. Harder difficulty levels mean a lesser effect (still, better to refill one digit of your health bar with a free bottle of water than a hard-to-get syrette which will always refill your health bar to max).

By the way, please just call me "Art" :)

fragger

Hi daghanson, welcome to the site :)

You've come to a good place, in my humble opinion this is the best collection of gamers anywhere on the net, and you don't have to limit your questions to games. If you want to know what the price of onions in Mongolia is, someone here will know and will answer ;D ;D

One tip I'll add to what's been said is to check out the excellent FC2 maps by Dweller_Benthos (if you haven't already, that is). You'll find them at the very top of this page, just go to the "Far Cry 2" tab and go to "Overview Maps". D_B went to great lengths to create these, and he has shown the locations of absolutely everything in the game. I've found these maps to be invaluable.

Have fun, and I look forward to hearing about your exploits! :)

daghanson

Thanks Fragger.

I agree, the maps are excellent.  D_B deserves kudos for that, (or karma, whatever the reward system) for certain.  I am using them as much or more than my GPS device in game.

Good to know you guys are on the ball about the Mongolian onion prices as well.  Next time the hordes are coming over for chili, I might look into that. ;D

PZ

Quote from: daghanson on January 15, 2010, 05:27:50 AM
...Good to know you guys are on the ball about the Mongolian onion prices as well.  Next time the hordes are coming over for chili, I might look into that. ;D

lol  :-X

Art Blade

Tags:
🡱 🡳