Help needed: PC busted. How to retrieve data (flashdrive?)

Started by Fiach, December 17, 2009, 10:52:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fiach

PC Busted blue screen using PS3 atm. can get into SAFEMODE,
Does anyone know if I could use a FLASHDRIVE in SAFEMODE to retrieve data

like pictures etc. 

edit: made the subject more informative./Art
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

mandru

Wow, that's a tough one Fiach.

I'm not very tech oriented. Hopefully someone will be along soon that can help you out with this.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

Yes, you should be able to get to your data while in safe mode using Windows explorer.  then you can copy to your flash media.

On a related note, I typically move the "My documents" location to another one on the drive to avoid permissions issues (good if you're the only one using the computer).

For example, create a folder off of the root of your drive: e.g., C:\Documents.

Then, right click your My documents folder and choose Properties.  Click the Move button and choose the C:\Documents folder you previously created - this allows easy access to data without having to navigate through the Documents and settings tree.

Fiach

cool i'll get a flashdrive at the weekend probably get a PC in the new year hopefully.
Thanks mate :-X

Art Blade

good luck, Fiach :)

By the way, plan what you want to do (which data to save), then do it in one go. If the PC croaks completely the next time you fire it up, you won't be sorry. :)

Good news is, you'll be able to play recent PC games once you got your new rig  ;)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Dweller_Benthos

If you can boot the machine to safe mode, it's still working. Though a backup of your stuff is probably not a bad idea anyway. As long as it's working that far, you can put in the wondows CD and try a repair install. Should just reinstall windows over the old messed-up copy and hopefully you can get it working again. That should just write to the windows folder and leave everything else alone, but again, a backup is a good idea.

You can also look into an item called ultimate boot CD. It's saved me a bunch of times, but you have to have a working PC and copy of windows to get it going. If you have another machine you can use just google that and follow the links.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

That's good advice - I don't know what flash media goes for in your neck of the woods, but you can get a 16 gb drive for $12 US in my neighborhood at one of the liquidator stores.  That is often enough for the pure data files (not program files).  Don't forget to get your saved games which are often in a strange area depending on the game.  ;D

PS: are you planning to build, or purchase a box outright?

RedRaven

Did your blue screen have loads of text and an error number ? I had a similar thing a few months back, noted down the error number then went to the Windows sight to check it out, and to my eternal surprise it was actually helpful and useful (who`d of thunk it).

The other solution is to remove your existing HD, put in a new one and format / install your operating system onto that then re-connect your other drive as a secondary one. That way all your data is accessible and when your satisfied you have saved all you need to it can be reformated.

I usually use a 120gb drive with just Windows and other programs on and a much larger secondary to store any media, game saves and other important files on in case windows need a good swift kick.

What ever solution you find good luck, its a royal pain when a PC dies on you.
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Fiach

Yes it had text so will check M$
16G cost me about 50$ PC stuff is expensive here and it will be about may before i get a new PC .
cant  wait because typing with a PS3 controller gets real old real fast .
Thanks for the help and suggestions at least I saved the family pictures ,  the missus was doing her nut LOL.

Tags:
🡱 🡳