Medal of honor

Started by deadman1, December 15, 2009, 01:03:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadman1

Then next Medal of honor has been announced and it looks like they have gone the way of CoD and are now depicting a modern conflict. It looks great  :-X

http://www.fz.se/filmer/20091215/medal-of-honor-announce-trailer/

Fiach

I played the first one on PC, it was very good, but nowadays, I dont have the patience for the weapons, I never know what the heck I am picking up, I'm saying stuff like "wtf is a legrande?" or something like that with every pick up choice I get.

The Normandy level in the first one was scary man, it really put you in their boots.
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

fragger

The Normandy level in MoH1 was a classic, and yeah, distinctly unnerving, despite being a blatant rip-off of Saving Private Ryan. It also set something of a trend. I believe that was the first FPS game to merge scripting and player activity in a seamless manner like that, and a great many games have followed suit ever since.

@deadman, thanks for the heads-up, mate :-X

mmosu

I remember that part well, it was a great way to start the game off - charging out the open gate of the transport boat with bombs going off and machine gun fire spraying all around - none of which could actually hurt you because they were all "scripted", but since I didn't know that it was a big freakout!!  I hit the beach, found cover, and just parked it for a minute, unsure of what to do - I'm sure it was only a fraction of a fraction of the emotion that those who were really there felt!!  And yes, it did feel like a rip off of Saving Private Ryan, but I think it would be hard to do justice to that battle from any other perspective. 

deadman1

Correct me if I´m wrong but I seem to remember that " Saving Private Ryan" came after MOH1  ::)

Hmm I must really be getting old  :-[ IMDB confirmed the release date for SPR as 1998, I was convinced that it was released a lot later than that.

JRD

Guess you're right deadman... a quick search using google and wikipedia returned SPR hitting the big screen in 98 while MoH was released in 99!!
The All-Mighty Google knows it all (or almost  ::) )
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Fiach

Its possible we are talking about Medal of Honor Allied Assault (regarding the Normandy landings), which was released in 2002, I'm not sure, but I only remember earlier iterations on consoles, I do remember playing them on the PS1, I dont know if they got PC releases.

deadman1

Quote from: Fiach on December 16, 2009, 11:36:24 AM
Its possible we are talking about Medal of Honor Allied Assault (regarding the Normandy landings), which was released in 2002, I'm not sure, but I only remember earlier iterations on consoles, I do remember playing them on the PS1, I dont know if they got PC releases.

I´m pretty sure MoH:AA was the first game in the series, however it wasnt called that when released on consoles. When seaching my favorite swedish gamingsite (FZ:se) I found that in 2002 they released MoH:Frontline for Xbox, PS2 and Gamecube.

Fiach

I dont think so, I definately played it on PS1 mate. :)

EDIT :

The complete series :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medal_of_Honor_(series)

deadman1

Cool I had no idea about the first two games (must be because I don´t play on consoles). I also seem to remember that in MoH:AA you do meet Manon Batiste briefly during one mission.

PZ

The latest Medal of Honor debuts October 12th with an open PC beta on October 4th.  You can download the client here: http://www.medalofhonor.com/game/medal-of-honor

Medal of Honor | Linkin Park trailer (2010)

Art Blade

That vid is a little confusing. Why do they blend obvious real footage with superb cg? If the graphics are as good as they seem to be, I don't see the need to blend it with real footage. However, man, that looks impressive. :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mmosu

Yeah, especially the sequence where the guy is trying to drive the truck down the alley in reverse with everyone and their mother shooting at them - scripted, but still very cool  :-X

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

I don't know - the video blends in with the actual game play.  I guess the actual play remains to be seen.  ;)

deadman1

The MP beta starts tomorrow so I will probably be able to give you a heads up on graphics and such tomorrow night. It´ll be interesting to see how my rig can handle the game since the recommended systemspecs mentions a quad core CPU and I only have a Duo core ????

mmosu

Yeeesh - I don't know what "top of the line" gaming PC specs are anymore, but that that is required seems pretty steep to me  ????

Art Blade

At least it finally is a game that probably makes use of four cores indeed.  :-D

JRD

I agree with mmosu, too much for a corridor shooter... you don't have that much detail loaded at once to make it so demanding!  :-(

You prbably have A LOT of moving objects at the same time, so rendering all the physics involved takes a nuclear powered computer!  ::)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

deadman1

@mmosu: A quadcore is only recommended not required  :) here are the complete list of specs:

Minimum Configuration:

OS – Windows XP (SP3), Windows Vista (SP2), Windows 7
Processor – Pentium D, 3.2GHz / Core 2 Duo, 2.0GHz / Athlon 64 X2
Memory – 2GB RAM
Video Card – Video card must be 256MB or more and contain these chipsets or better: NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT ; ATI X1900. Laptop versions of these chipsets may w@&k but are not supported. Updates to your video and sound card drivers may be required.
HDD Space – 9GB
Soundcard – Soundcard with DirectX 9.0c compatibility
DirectX – DirectX 9.0c
Disc Drive – 8x or faster CD/DVD Drive

Recommended:

OS – Windows Vista (SP2), Windows 7
Processor – QuadCore 2.0Ghz
Memory – 2GB RAM+
Video Card – A video card with 512MB of VRAM and one of the following chipsets: NVIDIA GeForce GTX260; ATI Raedeon 4870
HDD Space – 9GB
Soundcard – Soundcard with DirectX 10 compatibility
DirectX – DirectX 10
Disc Drive – 16X CD/DVD Drive

Art Blade

Cool. The recommended hardware spec meets my rig's spec which is nearly two years old.

PZ

I'm looking forward to your impressions, mmosu  :-X

deadman1

Well I was finally able to get the beta going. Unfortunately EA/DICE have some severe problems with the servers, the connections are not up to par so I´ve disconnected after only 5 minutes of play repeatedly. EA will update them sometime later today so I´ll hopefully be able to give you a more comprehensive revue of the gameply. First impressions so far is:
1. Holy cow it looks awesome!!
2. WTF?! Did I die already  ???
3. Where´s the enemies at? ????

This game is hard atleast the MP part, you have a very hard time seeing the enemy before you are shot so I anticipate a lot of dying in the future  :-(). As for performance all I can say at this point that don´t think it´s going to be a problem, I didn´t notice any hints of FPS drops or lag during the short time I was able to play. I have since changed the settings to max on the graphics without any noticeable difference in performance. Granted it was on an empty server so we´ll see what happends when I try to join later tonight.

Art Blade

cheers, and good luck  :) :-X

PZ

My son is pressuring me into getting this game, but he likes games like Rainbow Six - ones that I personally am not too fond of.

Tags:
🡱 🡳