Old game: Comando - Behind enemy lines

Started by JRD, October 09, 2009, 01:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

Here is one great game, kind of Real Time Strategy but not really RTS.
You don't need to build units or go after resources, but you have the same map view from above and things happens in real time.
It's a game PZ would be interested... probably there is a version to be played in your iPhone  ;D

You can control 5 soldiers, each one with one special skill
Green berret - muscle over brains, uses knoves, can hide in the sand or snow and get invisible.
Sniper - well, he can snipe!
Bomber - Explosives speciallist, when it comes to bring things down, he must be there.
Driver - can drive anything in the game
Spy - with a french accent, can dress as any other soldier and walk inside enemy fortreesses, bases, camps etc. Uses a lethal syringe to stealth kill.

You have a mission in some place in WWII. You have to know what each comando can do and make your way to your objectives working with all of them at the same time. Demands a bit of strategy and patience as you have to study enemy behavior, patrol routes, wait for the right moment to kill, steal a uniform, spy, etc... one mistake sets the alarm off and more patrols are in the field.

Graphics were outstanding for the time (1998) as it was a static scenario. New games followed the titlle: Beyond the call of duty, Comandos 2, Comandos 3... each with better graphics, more freedom to rotate the scenarios, indoors and outdoors action, more features and great fun. Missions could be accomplished in many ways and none was easy in the beginning. Latest titles had command over many soldiers at the same time, but always with the same main group of five guys. I was so addicted in that game and felt really connected to each character...
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

Cool - sounds like something I need to check out  ;)

EDIT: just checked a few graphics and it looks kind of like a cross between SimCity and playing army men when you were a kid.  :-X

JRD

Hahahaha... good description... don't thjink you'd find thise game, but thought it deserved a mention as I spent good time playing it  ;)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

fragger

I remember that one, JRD. That was terrific fun, but tough when you had to get the timing just right. As I recall you could have a MP game (LAN) where any human players could take charge of any of the characters. I also remember this led to frantic shouts among ourselves along the lines of "Come on! Hurry up, they'll see you!" and "Aw, nice job, doofus, you got us all killed!" ;D

Quote from: PZ on October 09, 2009, 02:13:54 PM
playing army men when you were a kid.
What do you mean, "when you were a kid?" I still do, only now they're digital, not plastic, and I don't have to make the noises myself ;D

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Quote from: fragger on October 09, 2009, 03:45:58 PM
... What do you mean, "when you were a kid?" I still do, only now they're digital, not plastic, and I don't have to make the noises myself ;D

lol, very good point - I'm still playing "army man" in FC2 and other shooters!  :-X

Tags:
🡱 🡳