Deliver the nitrous truck to Sefapane

Started by PZ, October 02, 2009, 08:02:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Had an interesting experience last night on the mission to drive from the dental clinic into the Sefapane garage.  I did the initial mission just like always, approaching the clinic from the west (the narrow passage coming into the clinic from the underground house).  All went well, so I started driving north after clearing out the GP.  Although I've done this mission dozens of times, on this particular trip north through the jungle, the drive reminded me of a movie I watched years ago in which the theme was to drive a couple of nitroglycerine-laden military trucks through the jungle - wouldn't mid watching that one again if I could remember the name.

Back to the mission, as I passed the town gates, a merc was crossing the street exhibiting a complete disregard for the dangers of his casual stroll across the road so I ran him down.  Interestingly, the "Escape the town..." banner did not display, but a few mercs started giving chase.  As I continued toward the garage, I passed the parked AT (the one behind the HQ) and heard it start up.  I could hear the bullets plinking the nitrous tanks, but astonishingly they did not explode, so I continued into the garage.  After hearing the door close, I exited to find Hakim shorting the box and I knocked the top off a nitrous tank.  Hakim started running, but I did not follow him - I stayed in the vicinity of the garage.  I watched the sparks of the electrical panel and heard the hiss of the escaping nitrous, but no explosion.

Intrigued, I threatened a merc with the 6P9, and when he exhibited attitude, delivered a single round to the head, piquing the interest of his friends who naturally rushed in to investigate.  As I ran around the garage killing mercs, the garage did not explode - evidently my proximity prevented the scenario from it's normal unfolding.  That traitorous "buddy" of mine was nowhere to be seen during my struggle with the mercs.

Just as interesting, as soon as I had cleared out all of the mercs in that area (no one else from further away had come to investigate), the building exploded nearly killing me (I had one red bar left).  As I was healing myself, the town came alive with mercs hot on the trail of Hakin's evidently wanting his scalp. Naturally, I returned the favor of "not becoming involved" in his affairs and casually strolled out of town, with the sounds of gunfire diminishing in the distance along with Hakim's pleas not to leave him there.

Art Blade

was the movie called "the wages of fear" (Le salaire de la peur, Fr, 1953)?

And whoa, nice story  ;D :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

That's the story line that I remember, but when I look at the year (1953) I now think that I must be thinking about a remake of the movie or a copy cat movie.  However, this one is so similar, I think that it is worth a see - thanks for posting (I knew you'd know something)  ;)

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

That must be it - there doesn't seem to be anything else close to it on IMDB and the best part is that it is available in DVD!  :-X  Many thanks to OWG's resident researcher, Art Blade  ;)

Dweller_Benthos

You're probably thinking of Sorcerer with Roy Scheider

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076740/

To spoil it: everyone dies by the end, lol. And don't be turned off by the beginning where it's French with subtitles, the rest of the movie is in English, they just show you the origin of each of the main characters and why they ended up at a rat hole oil drilling company somewhere in South America.

Music by Tangerine Dream , which is why I remembered it, and it is a remake of the movie previously mentioned.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

That's it!  I actually recognize the main actor Roy Scheider.  I wonder if this is a remake of Le salaire de la peur

Art Blade

So "thanks to one of our OWG's resident researchers," as there are more, like our friend Dweller_Benthos  :)

KingRat

Quote from: PZ on October 02, 2009, 01:09:25 PM
That's it!  I actually recognize the main actor Roy Scheider.  I wonder if this is a remake of Le salaire de la peur

"Following the blockbuster success of The Exorcist, director William Friedkin had the clout to make any film he wanted, and he nearly ruined his career making Sorcerer, an ill-fated remake of the classic French thriller The Wages of Fear."

:)

Art Blade

long time no see, KingRat :) Another OWG researcher  ;D

PZ

This is great - I can now find the movie that I remembered, and the original from which it was inspired - thanks for posting, guys!

fragger

What a wealth of info there is to glean from OWG members! Seems that if anyone has a question about anything, someone here will know the answer.
Who needs Wiki! ;D

Art Blade

indeed, and usually any question will be answered. Even if the question has not been asked ;)  ;D

PZ

That's the huge advantage of having a consortium of mature gamers interacting in the same forum - truly a wealth of information that is not only easy access, but far more reliable than elsewhere on the Internet.  :-X

RedRaven

Quote from: Art Blade on October 03, 2009, 07:39:54 PM
Even if the question has not been asked ;) ;D

Is that the voice of Art Blade the Omnipotent ?  Or maybe I am finally losing the plot :P
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Art Blade

Quote from: RedRaven on October 03, 2009, 11:00:48 PM
Quote from: Art Blade on October 03, 2009, 07:39:54 PM
Even if the question has not been asked ;) ;D

Is that the voice of Art Blade the Omnipotent ?  Or maybe I am finally losing the plot :P

Well, PZ didn't ask anyone explicitly about the film...

Quote from: PZ on October 02, 2009, 08:02:06 AM
the drive reminded me of a movie I watched years ago [...] - wouldn't mid watching that one again if I could remember the name.

But the hidden question was "what's the title again?"  ;D

Art Blade

On topic:

I've just made a funny observation: The game doesn't register the truck is in the garage if you drive in backwards. Apparently the devs responsible for that mission thought we were all bad drivers and didn't figure anyone would actually drive a huge truck into the garage butt first LOL  :D ;D

[smg id=1729 align=center width=400]

Art Blade

I don't believe it, there is another glitch (if you force it): Edit: Apparently not a glitch. /Art

I opened the valve and Hakim told me to leave the garage. I used my M79 and set off the package ahead of schedule, which blew up the entire building (the last time I did it there were more walls left standing I believe, this time it was really levelled, see pic)
[smg id=1730 align=center width=400]

The first time I did that, the blow killed Hakim, hehe sorry mate. The funny thing is, the mercs in Sefapane started a war! Like the situation I told you before, Sefapane is devided into two parts, like HQ in the north and garage in the south, and this time those two sides started killing each other. Quite unexpected. If you let Hakim live, he will of course attract both side's attention and you'll be busy defending him, but if you don't, and if you retreat, you can watch a full-blown merc war. :)

mandru

Wow, a couple more cool discoveries Art.  :-X
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

Excellent!  Now I've a new thing to try when at Sefapane  :-X

That area remains one of my favorites because you can wipe out all the mercs without the endless spawn.

fragger

Art Blade

Thanks, peeps  :)

I still can't believe it -- if I'm not completely mistaken, the garage usually blows up "a little" doesn't it? I think the one time I did that mission before (first playthrough) there was an ugly ruin left, the next two throughs I didn't do that buddy mission, and now, fourth through, I blew it up again. Only differently  :)

Can you confirm it looks different?

fragger

I'm pretty sure you're right Art, I don't think I've ever seen that building totally gutted like that. There's usually plenty of wall left standing after the mission's been completed normally.

Art Blade

hehe, "totally gutted" sounds good :) Maybe sticking a truckload of IEDs to that truck levels the entire town  ;D

Dweller_Benthos

I did that on my first play through as well, backed the truck in for some reason and couldn't figure out why I wasn't getting the mission advance indicator. Ran around doing all sorts of things, then pulled the truck out, turned it around and pulled it in frontways and it worked. I guess the trigger for the mission to advance is at the back of the garage and it's mate is in the front of the truck. LOL

Maybe I'll try that trick to blow it up ahead of schedule, sounds like fun.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Tags:
🡱 🡳