Predecessor Mission

Started by shiba, March 27, 2009, 03:58:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

indeed, but I'm a little careful with the statement because he didn't explicitely state he actually was using the same configuration or meeting the criteria posted by you. He did say it worked, nothing more. I'd be less careful if he stated that he did use a steam version etc :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Rangoon

Yes, I'm quite skeptical at this point as well.  But he did reply in another thread (same forum) where I was explicit about the Steam/FP bit, and I think that is his installation.  I'll confirm it. 

wexer9

Thanks, Rangoon, this is promising news. :)

wexer9

Quote from: Rangoon on January 28, 2010, 03:19:03 PM
wexer9, you might want to contact support directly, too, since you have a different twist on the problem than I do. You had the Steam version, had it working, then got the auto-update and suddenly things stopped working.  If that doesn't imply something is broken, I don't know what does.

This is a good idea; I will do this shortly. :)

wexer9

Steam Support ticket submitted. :)

wexer9

Finally got an answer from Steam support...they referred me to third-party (Ubisoft) support. :D

I'll submit a support ticket to Ubisoft support, but I'm sure they'll end up referring me to Steam support. ::)

Any news on this? :)

Art Blade

Well, at least you can show Ubi that Steam told you to contact them ;)

And no, no news yet.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

wexer9

Yes, that's what I plan on doing.

Thanks for the update. :)

PZ

Well folks, I just received response from Ubisoft - they claim not to have technical information about the problem.  I get the impression from reading between the lines that they have no plans to rectify the matter.

wexer9

Yikes. Was this just some standard support bloke? If so, he probably wouldn't know jack anyway. :P

We gotta get this higher to someone who would actually know something. :)

PZ

I don't know but I suspect that my initial contact went further up the chain because I explained that our organization is interested in their response.  Consequently, the ticket was in a waiting mode for a few days while other requests in which I did not mention OWG were answered quickly.  In the end, it is probably impossible to assess whether or not they are simply giving lip service.

JRD

Quote from: PZ on February 04, 2010, 10:14:09 PM
... our organization is interested in their response....

Wow... that sounds badass... as in "Mercenaries syndicate"... you should've threatened to break the guy's knees  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

wexer9

Quote from: JRD on February 05, 2010, 01:27:14 AM
Quote from: PZ on February 04, 2010, 10:14:09 PM
... our organization is interested in their response....

Wow... that sounds badass... as in "Mercenaries syndicate"... you should've threatened to break the guy's knees  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

LOL! :P

What do you suggest we do next?

Art Blade

wexer9

LOL! :P

Anyway, support ticket sent to Ubisoft. ::)

fragger

Sorry to play the devil's advocate here, but I've got a feeling that no matter how much we badger them, Ubi won't take any action to fix this prob. Since it's arguably a minor bug in that it isn't dangerous, doesn't crash or adversely affect the game, and since there does appear to be a FC3 in development, I can't see the devs spending their precious time addressing this. They're no doubt presently on one deadline or another for other projects.

I'd actually be very surprised if they went to the trouble of producing another FC2 patch at this remove.

I'm not saying give up, keep trying by all means if you like, but frankly, I wouldn't get any great hopes up.

RedRaven

Hate to say it but fragger is probably right. Reckon chances are they are just going to w@&k on FC3. After all they will get more money from people for a new game than they will from any further patch or DLC for FC2.

"You know it's Sad but True"
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Art Blade

I have the same feeling. It's been a while since the last patch, they prolonged the game with DLC and closed the case.

PZ

In another thread a few OWG members have conversed about a list of games that Ubi is working on, and FC3 was not one of them - unless I'm missing something then FC2 is probably the last of a good thing.

fragger

It's really hard to say, PZ, I can't seem to find anything to confirm or deny that this is the case. You may well be right, though.

However, I got this from Wiki. It was posted very recently, on 3 Feb 2010.

Far Cry 3 is the upcoming sequel to the 2008 video game Far Cry 2.

The unnamed sequel is in preliminary stages of development. Far Cry 3 may continue to take place in the African setting. However, Kevin Shortt, a Ubisoft scriptwriter, mentioned that the Antarctic setting is a possibility.

I have no idea of how reliable this is, probably not very as I've heard all that before. It might even be just somebody's wishful thinking.

If you Google Far Cry 3 there are a couple of listed reports of it still being in development, but all these reports seem to be dated no later than around November 2009.

Time will tell, I guess. I'm not going to hold out hope. If it happens it'll be a bonus, if it doesn't, then I won't be disappointed.

In any event, there are lots of great games in the tube, and I'm sure there'll be many more to come. This particular industry isn't about to fold any time soon.

PZ

Well, if we do see Ubi announce plans or a release date, that will be a day to celebrate although I'm not too sure I'd like the Antarctic environment.  The vivid colors and simple beauty of the African landscape in FC2 will be hard to beat.  ;)

Dweller_Benthos

It would be cool if they had a more world-wide area for the next game. Say, you're a merc or assassin based in a town or city, you can do "local" jobs to get money & reputation, then you get bigger jobs, maybe get notcied by international agencies (CIA, MI6, KGB etc) and get a "James Bond" job that takes you around the world. They hire you, of course, instead of using their own operatives for the ever popular "plausible deniability".

Imagine a game with 3 or 4 "worlds" like the one in FC2 that you can go back and forth between doing jobs and whatever. I guess that sounds more like GTA or WoW though. Definitely less RPG and more shooter for me though.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

That indeed would be ultra-cool.  I like the different "worlds" that you experience in Uncharted2, and having a home base where you can come safely to is also a plus - like the Villa in Assassin's Creed 2  :-X

Art Blade

What D_B is talking about immediately reminded me of Just Cause 2. A game with different climate regions :)

Rangoon

Regarding predecessor missions, I'm still not getting anything in my game.  I had read someone else getting the phone call after 12% game progress.  I'm at 16%.  I got a little excited when I saw the GPS flash green at me when I revisited the area in the southeast because that is where I remember finding the first envelope.  Turns out it was just a Jackal tape which I had already picked up.  So rather than it being a good thing, it was just the first time I've experienced the Jackal Tape loop bug.

I find there is very little value in the Fortunes Pack - I can't see any reason to use it.  I'm not using any of the weapons.   The vehicles don't really matter one way or another.  So I guess I'm not sure what to do.  I guess just uninstall the Steam version and reinstall the DVD version.

I'm pissed at Steam, pissed at Ubisoft, but I love this game.  I suppose I'll just tell Steam support every time I buy a game NOT FROM THEM.  And remind them why.

Oh well.  It's their right to lose my business.

Tags:
🡱 🡳