Predecessor Mission

Started by shiba, March 27, 2009, 03:58:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fragger

wexer9, at one stage the Fortune Pack was retailing in stores here in Australia, but I don't know if this was true for other countries. I saw it not long after I purchased FC2 in the same store. I didn't consider buying the DLC until about 6 months later, but by then, according to the sales guy, it was no longer available for retail, but I found one on ebay Oz. So I never downloaded the DLC, I had a retail version of it mailed out to me. I have to say that I doubt you can still find retail versions of the Fortune Pack for sale online like that, but you never know.

As for the predecessor missions, they w@&k fine on my retail FC2 with DLC. I used the registry edit file fc2.reg from here at OWG to get the predecessor missions and the custom machetes.

PZ

Predecessor missions w@&k fine on my PC and PS3 versions, both with DLC.

wexer9

Hmm, okay, so this bug only affects the Fortune's Edition of the Steam release.

mir24

Hi guys, first of all, I'd like to commiserate with everyone who's facing problems with the DLC's and the 'boots' tape. I was fortunate enough in that I decided to buy FC2 waaaayyyy after it came out. I *did* buy it when it first came out but that was a gift for a friend. She loved FC1 but was a bit disappointed with FC2.

After I tried her copy, I decided to go ahead and buy FC2 off Steam. It came together with the Fortune's Pack DLC.

Anyway, I just wanted to share a few things:

1) I've also got the 'boots' tape glitch. It's maddening having to listen to the same recording over and over again. Makes me want to hunt that silly little kid and get HIS bloody boots off him!

2) With regards to the Steam version, it seems that every time I start a new game, I have to enter my Promo code in order to get the machete and the Predecessor Missions.

3) For some reason, Fortune's Pack already comes with all 6 Predecessor Missions, including the Moroccan and the American. At least, that's what I believe. Unless one has to download the extra missions but I don't think so.

4) The Predecessor Missions begin once you enter Pala after completing the intro and left the town at least once. That's what happened to me.

5) The 'envelope' icon for subsequent Predecessor Missions only appears once you've completed a plot or side mission. E.g. I retrieved the first envelope and hunted down the tape. There was no new 'envelope' icon on my map. It was only after I finished another mission did the 'envelope' icon reappear...

I share everyone's frustration at the lack of response from Ubisoft. I still believe there's loads of improvements to be made in this excellent game and it's rather sad (excuse the understatement) that we've been left hanging like this. Sigh.

Edit: Corrected my typo. Got a bit excited at the thought of grabbing a new pair of boots.   ;)

PZ

Quote from: mir24 on June 01, 2010, 01:23:29 AM
... Makes me want to hunt that silly little kid and get those bloody HIS boots off him!

LOL  :-X

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

I dunno, mir24 - would you really want to don a pair of boots first worn by a filthy merc who hasn't seen the inside of a shower stall for months, and then worn by a psychotic kid who's beaten down, ragged, tired, old, and at that age, who shouldn't look like that?

Athlete's foot, tinea, footrot, trenchfoot - ee-yew :P

mir24

Quote from: fragger on June 01, 2010, 06:36:25 PM
I dunno, mir24 - would you really want to don a pair of boots first worn by a filthy merc who hasn't seen the inside of a shower stall for months, and then worn by a psychotic kid who's beaten down, ragged, tired, old, and at that age, who shouldn't look like that?

Athlete's foot, tinea, footrot, trenchfoot - ee-yew :P

Ah, but I didn't say I'd wear them, now, did I? Heheh.

But good point! Methinks I shall display them on a simple stand with the inscription:

Boots, leather, size 9, standard

Taken from a beaten down, ragged, tired, old-looking, 16, maybe 17-year-old kid

Africa, 2010

fragger

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

wexer9

Quote from: mir24 on June 01, 2010, 01:23:29 AM
Hi guys, first of all, I'd like to commiserate with everyone who's facing problems with the DLC's and the 'boots' tape. I was fortunate enough in that I decided to buy FC2 waaaayyyy after it came out. I *did* buy it when it first came out but that was a gift for a friend. She loved FC1 but was a bit disappointed with FC2.

After I tried her copy, I decided to go ahead and buy FC2 off Steam. It came together with the Fortune's Pack DLC.

Anyway, I just wanted to share a few things:

1) I've also got the 'boots' tape glitch. It's maddening having to listen to the same recording over and over again. Makes me want to hunt that silly little kid and get HIS bloody boots off him!

2) With regards to the Steam version, it seems that every time I start a new game, I have to enter my Promo code in order to get the machete and the Predecessor Missions.

3) For some reason, Fortune's Pack already comes with all 6 Predecessor Missions, including the Moroccan and the American. At least, that's what I believe. Unless one has to download the extra missions but I don't think so.

4) The Predecessor Missions begin once you enter Pala after completing the intro and left the town at least once. That's what happened to me.

5) The 'envelope' icon for subsequent Predecessor Missions only appears once you've completed a plot or side mission. E.g. I retrieved the first envelope and hunted down the tape. There was no new 'envelope' icon on my map. It was only after I finished another mission did the 'envelope' icon reappear...

I share everyone's frustration at the lack of response from Ubisoft. I still believe there's loads of improvements to be made in this excellent game and it's rather sad (excuse the understatement) that we've been left hanging like this. Sigh.

Edit: Corrected my typo. Got a bit excited at the thought of grabbing a new pair of boots.   ;)

Interesting. Perhaps a full re-install of the game is in order. Then I can see once and for all if it is possible to get the Predecessor missions post-Fortune's Edition (as I said, Predecessor missions disappeared after the update).

Art Blade

wexer9

Re-downloading now.

Man, Far Cry 2 plays great on my new computer. :-X

Art Blade

apart from your ATI 5850 vid card, what specs has your new rig got?

wexer9

AMD Athlon II X3 440 3.0GHz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
Asus EAH5850 Radeon HD 5850
Cooler Master CM690 ATX
Corsair TX Series CMPSU-750TX
G.SKILL ECO Series DDR3 1600MHz 4GB (2x2GB)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 SATA 1TB (x2)
Asus DRW-24B1ST Black SATA
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Art Blade

looks like a good machine there, wexer9  :) Enjoy gaming with it  :-X

wexer9

Thanks. :)

Anyway, I got the game downloaded again, installed the Intel Bonus Missions to see where to put the registry key, and added PartnerKey1 and MachetesKey to that registry folder. Again, like last time, I can access the new machetes but not the Predecessor Missions. I started a new game, and the 'Predecessor Tapes' option is still gone from my menu, even on my old saved games where I had gotten all of the tapes.

As I said, same as before. I am not sure why mir24 seems to be having a different experience from other Steam users. I would be very interested in asking him a few questions if he decides to post in this topic again.

PZ

Maybe it is the Intel bonus mission install.  I never did that (just used the bonus mission codes found online).  I heard somewhere about issues with the Intel install, but don't recall the specifics.

wexer9

All it does is add a registry code, exactly like adding it manually. Anyway, I added the registry code for the other 3 predecessor missions manually, and they still didn't appear. The Intel install method also worked prior to the update.

Art Blade

When I first heard about the Intel "version" I remember people wondering why, if it merely changed the registry, it had to be the incredible size of 6MB. Obviously a "little" more than a mere reg key edit.

wexer9

I wondered that, too. It's probably just the wrapper that the installer has, ie. the setup exe and the image files that you see in the setup screen.

Either way, I deleted the registry key it added and replaced it with my own. Identical.

Art Blade

Although you're not going to like it: I'd re-install again but without that intel crap. See if you get it right with manually editing the reg key... good luck  ;)

wexer9

Quote from: Art Blade on June 12, 2010, 11:12:03 AM
Although you're not going to like it: I'd re-install again but without that intel crap. See if you get it right with manually editing the reg key... good luck  ;)

Eek - I'll do this later in the month or next month as to not get the bandwidth police angry at me. :P

I'll report back then.

Art Blade

Tags:
🡱 🡳