BL: Art's impressions

Started by Art Blade, December 19, 2010, 05:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmosu

I would recommend doing the DLC's next before getting into playthrough 2 too far, and do them in the order they were released - that way the story flows the way it was meant to and all the running jokes and character references will make sense  :-X

Art Blade

ah, cool, cheers  :-X :)

Actually, I stopped playing my second playthrough because I couldn't stop thinking about all of you guys talking about Lilith's qualities.. so I started a second career with her and am currently playing lvl5, but I decided to speed up the process by already maxing out all skill trees and giving her my favourite weapons and shield. Whoa!  ??? Phase-shifting is cool.. and shooting enemies sets me alight  ^+-+ Funny to see my feet on fire (erm, can't see them but "down there" are flames) and running away while phase-shifting is a nice way of getting her tiny arse out of trouble  ^+-+

Looks good, and I like Lilith's lines (comments) :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

Quote from: Art Blade on January 07, 2011, 02:13:40 PM
(...) and shooting enemies sets me alight  ^+-+ Funny to see my feet on fire (erm, can't see them but "down there" are flames)

At Zombie Island it's THE BEST way of dealing with hordes of zombies surronding you!  >:D
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

:-X :)

I'll have to download those DLCs pretty soon it seems  >:D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

Incredible, this is haunting me.. connecting from Germany, the BL servers recognise it and only offer links to censored DLC. I started a different topic so someone may help and post the "regular" links to those DLCs.

However, playing Lilith turned out to be not so much fun.. I played her normally until level 15, then I maxed her out (erm, her skill tree and I upped her level to 50) just to see how I'd have played after a long time. Not so much fun for me.. so I resorted to my last Mordecai savegame and modded that to lvl 50. Whoa :)

His comments and dirty laughter are more fun for me :) Also, the class mods he has are great. There is scavenger which creates extra loot and makes use of the Bloodwing, Survivor (not needed so far), Hunter (mostly for the Bloodwing), Assassin (extra corrosive damage and so on), Gunslinger (focusses on pistols and repeaters, the best version also generates ammo), Sniper (again, the best version generates ammo).. they all improve weapon skills and action (Bloodwing) skills..

I love to play Mordecai, especially with those class mods :)  :-X

Art Blade

Three hours after starting to download the DLCs I finally can start to play. Download speed around 690kb/s isn't exactly slow. I think it is a fricking rip-off to sell a retail version of a GOTY copy just to hand the customer a "token code" to unlock the DLCs yet leaving it to him to download and install them. People with a slow internet connection will have to wait a lot longer and hope the connection doesn't come apart in between. Oh, the GOTY came unpatched. So that comes on top and first of all, download the recent patch of like 200 MB, then 5 GB for the DLC.. A fricking brazenness that is  >:((

Art Blade

Zombie Island is strange :) Always dusk or dawn, never day.. and zombies that want to puke at me is something I'm not going to get used to -- BOOM, headshot!  :-D

Funny was a single zombie who ran around carrying a large weapons chest the size of a coffin, those you usually find in the last corner of an area after killing everything on your way there. I relieved him of his burden, hehe  ^-^

By the way, I think I like Mordecai for two reasons. One: Everything you can say about him, and two: His hilarious dirty laughter when he's on a killing spree  >:D

mmosu

The loot goons are fun to take down for sure, especially when you buzz one's head right off of his shoulders with a well placed shot  >:D  Now, the downside with Mordecai on Zombie Island - it's time to get off of the corrosive weapon wagon and start using incindiaries - dried-out zombie bodies light right up but are vitually uneffected by acid (since they spit it at you).   

Art Blade

I'll have to try that, cheers :)

The acid did have quite an effect on some of them though, I watched quite a few of them gargle and foam and spray all green until they turned into a pile of green goo.

My Bloodwing uses either explosives or fire to soften them up, both seems to w@&k well, too. I've got a little bit of "firepower" too, somewhere in my backpack.. hehe, going to test that now  >:D

Fiach

Funny I preferred Lil to Mord, she really gets into the thick of it, so you need to circle strafe etc.... the Boom... Phasewalk!.:), Whereas Mord is too far from the action sometimes for me. I would use phaseshift alot, but I have never used Bloodwing (maybe 2 or 3 times total), I think her voice is great, she reminds me of the high elf character in Sacred Fallen Angel (she "coos" ....you better not make me angry.... at enemies :))

But Lil and Mord a definately my favourite characters, I dont really like Roland and I havent tried Brick yet.

Just an aside as regards Brick, There is a game called Too Human, its also class based, its idea is that Viking Gods were actually cybernetic robots to protect earthlings, so you play as Baldur, but you can choose (I think) 6 classes, Commando is kinda shottys and grenades, there is another Sentinal which has self heal capabilities, but I think you would love the Berzerker if you like Brick.

You wield a huge axe and literally slide at speed into your enemies and chop them to pieces. I thought I would hate it after reading tghe description as I loved my commando, but it was a helluva lot of fun to play Berzerker, so maybe I better get cracking on Brick :)
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Art Blade

hehe, you should try it :)

Regarding Mordecai, I actually go a lot into close quarter combat with him. All you need is a fast recharging and strong shield and a massive shotgun (preferably with elemental damage) or something else that sprays damage, like repeater pistols with large mags and high fire rate. I use melee attacks as well as my Bloodwing.. so with Mord I can actually play both long range (which I like in general) but also get up close and personal if I am so inclined. :)

Art Blade

Talking about up close and personal, CQC... I just finished the mission in Dead Haven where I had to wait for my ride. HORDES of zombies kept showing their feelings towards me while I kept receiving radio messages that my ride was delayed and that I had to wait a little longer, and again, and again.. when the ride (rocket, space ship) arrived, I was wading in gazillions of booty items. Looked like someone had spiked the ground with loads and loads of colourful thin sticks  :)

I had survived this using a repeater pistol with high fire rate and large mag, fire elemental damage, and my Bloodwing. I never ran out of ammo due to my gunslinger class mod which kept regenerating ammo  ;D

Art Blade

I finished the Dr. Ned's quest. Best was the title of one mission, "The night of the living Ned"  ^+-+

Somewhat fun, but overall I didn't like the always dark environment. It is winter outside, dark, and I like to see something else right now when staring at my screen  ;D I skipped those side quests from the mission board on the island, may do that some time later.

Now I just entered Mad Moxxi's Underdome, I already liked the intro sequence  ;D :-X

Art Blade

WOW  ??? ^+-+

Mad Moxxi's challenges are tough, as you guys already said, "wave after wave" of enemies. Although when you told me that, I thought it was going to be some kind of empty arena, like the one near Fyrestone where you had this mission to survive five rounds against various monsters. Now the first arena or dome, or whatever it is I'm currently playing, is more like a small part of a town with lots of hideouts and several levels so I try to stick to the border and upper level, fighting from there what comes running at me. Not bad with Mordecai as he's got his scoped weapons and can deal with enemies from the distance, unless they come up close and personal.. then they'll sniff on my knuckles and suck on the giving end of my pistols  >:D

There is some kind of lottery going, Moxxi makes up rules for certain waves like "only rocket launchers will w@&k well, all other weapons won't" or "the opponents will be faster and aim better" and stuff like that. Really challenging :) And then who's fighting me.. sometimes a wave consists of badass bandits, sometimes of big monsters, sometimes of map bosses I had killed before during my first playthrough.. they're all back just to die again :)

Right now I'm on Round 3, Wave 5. Total kills 125 so far and no death on my side (although I needed two times a "second wind" by killing an enemy before I bled out myself). I wonder how long it will take to make it to the end of the 5th round, I want to get out and chillax a little  ^-^

Art Blade

PHEW. So a round consists of five waves, 25 badass waves!! ???  :)

I won the first of three dome fights (Hell-Burbia), never died, and Moxxi gave me a certificate of badasserie, signed and a red lipstick imprint of her mouth next to her signature.  ^+-+

The worst thing was when she stripped me of my shield, GEEZUS, I took like four or five second winds to see it through *kisses Hunter's Defender acid Shotgun*  ;)

Fiach

I dont have it, but I was always under the impression that Moxxies was a Co-Op DLC, I seem to remember someone telling me that the first few levels are OK, but after that you would need eg. Lv50 proficiancy in weapons if you wanted to solo that DLC.

I saw some gameplay videos and it looked prety intense (and a bit boring)  :(.

Art Blade

I just finished The Angelic Ruins,  266 enemies killed, 25 rounds again. Intense but fun..

Well, I don't have weapon efficiency of 50, but I'm on a modded level 60  :-() Still, they sometimes get me and I have to kill one of them before I croak (second wind). I like it because you get to see all kind of badass opponents and ex level bosses and swarms of psycho bandits and so forth, they try to flank you or attack you with brute force.. some of them use ranged attacks, some go for CQC, so it is always a lot of stuff going on.

It is a shooter, and that mod makes it a shooter of the first water :)

JRD

I went through one round - 5 waves - and thought it was over... when I realized I had four more rounds to go - 20 waves - I left the arena and now I only come back for the safe to store some of my precious weapons!  :-(

Art Blade

Reading what you guys said (I also remember someone mentioning co-op for that DLC) there seem to be just a few things to consider if you want to play it on your own.

1) I recommend you do it on a very high level (I'm on 60) because your gear (and health) will be good enough

2) use a good shield and keep a variety of weapons and class mods available -- at least one really potent shotgun and revolver

3) one dome takes a LOT of time. I played 2, each time 5 rounds of 5 waves, and one dome (25 waves) took me around 90 minutes. I don't think that you can escape before you finish, but I have not died yet, so maybe if you die it might be over. After each wave the next starts, and after 5 waves a new round begins.. 25 waves is a lot :)

4) If you want to survive, best if you find shelter at the outer border of a dome. Like that you can't be surrounded. I prefer either to stand under a bridge or on top of something, like that I have either shelter or advantage of high grounds. Sometimes I need to seek and destroy the last remaining opponents, but I always get back to where I started (getting familiar with the little surrounding area).

5) After a wave, out of the sky they throw massive ammo and health drops, they only last for like 20 or 30 seconds.. watch where they drop and run and fetch them, then return to your "base".

6) In a boss fight, go for the boss but leave some weaker enemies around, in case the boss gets you, it will be easier to kill one of his lesser minions to get a second wind.

Well, that's about it :)

mmosu

Sounds like you've got the hang of the dome Art  :-X  If it takes that long to get through 5 rounds, imagine what it will be like when you move up to the big tournaments which are 20 rounds!!! The big tournaments are madening really, I've completed two of them I think, probably won't do the 3rd since there's no real reward for it. 
There is one trick to make them easier though, but you need a mule to do it.  See, the level of the enemies is determined by the host character, so if you have a say, level 10 host and a level 50 2nd player, well suddenly things get a lot easier  :-[  It takes the challenge out somewhat, but if you really just want to get the skill points it helps move things along a bit quicker  :-D

Fiach

How does that "mule" w@&k on PC?

On the 360 I have 4 profiles (me and the kids), so I just hook up a second controller and choose splitscreen and log in a second profile.

On saying that, you are stuck with splitscreen which would be crap for an intense fight.

mmosu

Not sure how it would w@&k on PC, other then finding someone online who was willing to grind it out with you . . .

Fiach

Yes, kinda figured that, I dont think it would be a runner for Art :(

Art Blade

heh, so you're saying that because I am hosting my own game (being level 60) that I actually don't have any advantage because my opponents match  my level 60? Woo-hoo. That means I actually managed to face 50 waves of lvl60 enemies without dying once  :-D

Big tournaments of 20x5? .. sounds like a job for the weekend  >:D

JRD

If you are not running the game with the latest patch, the one that raises level cap to 60, then are your enemies also level 60?  ????

I thought you were over leveled even for Moxxi`s DLC!! If you are actually fighting waves of lvl 60 badassess with legit lvl 60 weapons I`ll take my hat off to you mr. Blade!  :-X

I once found one lvl 60 psycho midget in T-Bone Junction and had a terrible time getting him belly up! OK, I was lvl 40-ish, but that was one hell of a midget!  :-D

Tags:
🡱 🡳