Assassin's Creed: Revelations - first impressions

Started by PZ, November 16, 2011, 08:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

I pre-ordered the game from Gamestop - compete with bonus codes that you redeem from the PlayStation store and Uplay.  You evidently get the special  weapon, bonus mission, multiplayer options and maps, and a cool bonus for those that never played the original Assassin's Creed - the full game for free on the same DVD.  Yep, you read correctly - both games on the same DVD and you don't even need to download from Steam, Uplay, or any other online entity!  Although I never really got into the original game on the PC, I'll definitely try it on the console now that I have all 4 iterations of the games installed.  In fact, one of these days I'll probably start a new play in AC, and play all the way through ACR.

When the game started, it basically took off where the last one left off...

Spoiler
... Desmond had killed Lucy at the end of ACR

It really helps if you already have the fighting skills from prior AC games because you start right in.  In fact, you're not into the game 10 minutes and a group of 4 Byzantine guards attack you with some fearsome weapons - however, if you use the counter move, it is easy to catch them off guard - Ezio is using a sword that allows him to thrust it through the underside of the chin out the top of the opponent's head.

Ezio looks a bit worn in his old age, but still quite distinguished - has the appearance of a very experienced assassin.

I've not played that far yet, but so far it is much like ACB in control and action.  The map is more realistic in appearance, but that really does not matter to me.  The music is more reminiscent of the original game rather than AC2 and ACB, which is a bit of a disappointment, but who knows - maybe that will change later in the game.

spaceboy

sounds good so far.  I got the same edition you did from gamestop.  With all the other games I bought recently i was going to wait a bit, but I had credits there and I wanted the free soundtrack and extras.  I will definitely be holding off a little bit, but I know my curiosity will win out soon.  I think I'll cut my teeth on Skyrim a bit first, after completing UC3 tonight (loved it!). 

The soundtrack for ACII was the absolute best, ACI and ACB were ok, but I primarily only listen to II.  Still I hope some of that magic is back in this one.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

PZ

So far the sound track is a bit of a disappointment for me - I too simply loved the music from AC2.

Basic introduction game play...
Spoiler
I managed to play a little more, and I think JRD is going to like this one - you start off early in the game in the same city/village as in the original AC.  There is even a place I recognized from the first game - some kind of library nook upstairs with a big desk.  Interestingly, this is all still in the training stages of the game.

Then on to a next area which initially felt like the main area, but was also sort of a training spot.  Finally arriving in Constantinople, I met my assassin friends, found an assassin's hideout, and knew it was finally the main game - felt like ACB - almost like coming home.  Naturally I'd been pick pocketing civilians the whole time I'd been in the training area so I already had quite a bank roll when I reached the city.  :laugh:

Slightly different is how many civilians will attack you when you're caught picking their pockets.  I stole money from 5 civilians, and all 5 ganged up on me  :laugh:

I do hope the music improves - I really do miss AC2, which I also had to fire up last night.

The hook blade is very interesting...
Spoiler
... it looks like a hidden blade with the tip bent over in a hook shape - you can grapple with this as you climb.  You can also span the distance between buildings (much farther than before) because you can deploy the hook as you sail through the air.  One last cool thing is that you can run up on an opponent, grapple him with the blade and do a somersault over him to continue running in your original direction.  Right now I have one regular hidden blade, and the other has been replaced by the hook blade.

Controlling your assassins...
Spoiler
Although I have only a minute or so to play this mode before I had to shut down the console, it looks very interesting - evidently you can place your crew where you want them, in a way much like in the game Brothers in Arms.

Zip lining...
Spoiler
This is also really cool - you use your hook blade to grapple a wire that leads from one area to another (usually from one rooftop to another rooftop), and you can do assassinations while zip lining.

JRD

Excellent PZ...  :-X

AC:R should be available any time on STEAM and I'm really looking forward to play it. Although I put AC:B on hold for a while I'm sure it will give me the reason I need to finish it so I can keep track of the AC storyline!

When I started playing AC:B it felt a bit overcomplicated after experiencing the immense difference AC2 presented from the original AC. Almost like a small step backwards after a huge leap forward if you know what I mean.. all those ingredients and objects gathering just to purchase a better sword or dealing with assassins plus thieves plus cortisans plus whatnot... sheesh... that's kind of too much distraction from the fun I had in AC2. Not that I didn't like it, it's a great game but it could be more simple. When they do a great game they don't have to put more and more into it just to justify a new installment... just give me the recipe that worked previously.

Hopefully AC:R will have all the good points in the whole AC series plus enough fun to keep us busy for months.

Keep us posted PZ!  :-X
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

Will do, JRD - ACR is probably more like ACB than AC2, but it is still a bit early to determine that.  My gut feeling is that there is even more to keep track of in this newest version of the game.  ???

Fiach

Do you have to be online when playing it, I thought I heard a rumour like that somewhere?

I imagine the two games on one disc is PS3 only due to the disc capicity? Either way I have the first one, I'm just curious.

Hope you have fun mate :)
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

PZ

I don't know if the game goes online behind the scenes, but I do not log into the PlayStation network.  I suspect that it might because Ubisoft dangles the carrot of extra weapon and mission if you log into PlayStation network and Uplay servers to redeem your code.  It would be easy then for the game to maintain a connection with the Uplay server.

Yes, it is a large disc - BluRay.

I'm having a great time so far, but I have to say that there are an awful lot of features, most of which I will either not use or will take lots of time to develop the skills for (if the game maintains my attention that long).  For example, there are about 12 different bombs you can craft.  ???

Art Blade

12 different bombs? Now THAT ought to be fun  :-()
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

The lamb's blood bomb was pretty cool.  Either the smell of the blood and residual red haze hanging in the air or the splattering effect making the damage look far worse than it really is or even a combination of the two but in the example I saw where it was employed every Templar guard cracked and went straight to panic mode screaming and fleeing in every direction.   >:D

A marked difference from the cherry bomb which makes them walk over to check out the spot where it went off.  Sounds like the perfect set up for a double Air Strike. No?   ;)
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

You make my mouth water, figuratively speaking. Now I'm starting to wonder if I might want to get that game.  :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

The thing with having lots of features that bothers me - to go back on my complaints about AC:B - is whether I have to do it or if I can just choose not to. If I want the Capitain's Sword in Brotherhood I have to gather some items and deliver them to a weapons shop whereas it was just a matter of buying it or not in AC2.  :-\\

12 types of bombs to craft will sure open lots of possibilities to go on with your missions!!  >:D

Now that sounds like fun  8)

PZ

The interesting thing is that there are so many possibilities with the bombs.  As I understand it, the lamb's blood bomb is supposed to disorient the victims because they think that the blood is theirs, and they are checking themselves.

I can see huge potential for experimentation in the true OWG way, but it is not essential in many cases.  I can imagine using the bombs in many different ways.  In fact, I am currently in one of the "hidden" missions, like the 4 missions in AC2 where you are to find the assassin's seals.  Within this hidden mission is a bomb crafting station, and every guard you kill (and loot) gives you items for bomb crafting.  I can imagine scenarios where you need to decide which of the many different bomb types you have to use in order to be successful.

PZ

One new feature that is devastating to your health is the presence of rifle marksmen inside buildings guarding the Templar dens.  You'll be advancing toward one of these dens (similar to the Borgia towers in ACB) and suddenly you'll receive a bullet in the back!

Art Blade

Quote from: PZ on November 18, 2011, 10:08:49 PMand suddenly you'll receive a bullet in the back!

The perfect time to suddenly throw a bomb into their receiving faces  :-()

JRD

We may be looking to AC3 somewhere forward in time when rifles and fire arms are more common... French Revolution I read once!!

Art Blade

mandru

In cracking the coding for the glyphs from AC2 we know (following the storyline  ;) ) that the Templars had possession of a few Pieces of Eden and lost one through destruction with Tesla's intervention at Tunguska in 1908 which only slightly predates World War I (July 1914 to  November 1918).  So both sides Templar and Assassins were heavily engaged during that time period which would make the politics and world conditions leading up to the two great wars fair game (and a good target) for the intrigue and espionage experiences of a possible recent DNA linked Assassin ancestor for Desmond's successor to step into the shoes of and live through.

Personally I would prefer delving even deeper into ancient history over anything more recent.  The fallen Assassin lair that Ezio visits at the beginning of AC:R* is freaking old and probably built on the bones of structures that were built on the even older structural bones of so much history that I think it would be a shame to try to dive into the pool of lore from the recent past as compared to the great unknown ocean of Assassin history prior to Altair.

How common was the knowledge among the Assassins of the map concealed in the Codex pages from AC2?  Did the Assassins and Templars move freely about the entire world at a time that predates recorded history?

We live in a golden age snugly centered between Ice Ages and in terms of the history of mankind we perceive the last Ice Age as a boundary beyond which not much of importance could have ever happened.  As a species we might need to examine that mind set because it really stinks of the type of mental conditioning suggested so far in the AC storyline that would only be possible through long years of reinforcement from leaders and possibly something very like the influence of a group wielding Pieces of Eden.   ;)

OK that's not something I give serious credence (the Pieces of Eden part of that) but I am aware that there are factions walking the Earth today that would love to plunge us all back into the stone ages and reduce the world population by 95% all in the name of environmental protection.  Anyway you look at it Earth Worship (Gaianism) is one of the very oldest spiritual belief systems which is still very alive, very militant and ecstatic with the zeal of placing value of the Earth over the worth of mankind.

There are even groups of Gaiaests that are attempting to block any further exploration of the other planets and bemoaning the fact that we have already irreparably contaminated the Moon, Venus and Mars.   ???  My personal thought on that matter is if we can get to other worlds it will take some of the pressure off their precious planet.

But then looking at the Templar position as stated in the AC series is that mankind is base and worthless, needing to be controlled and guided to make anything of them.  That sure sounds like a familiar theme I keep encountering from leadership around the world today.   8-X

There is nothing to suggest that a modern man twelve thousand years ago was lacking in any of the brightness of awareness, spark of imagination and dexterity of hand that exists today.  Only the great periods of darkness between the bright spots keep us from really understanding the total truth of the past.

* I corrected the reference I was making of the fallen Assassin's lair being in AC:B instead of AC:R where it properly belongs
- mandru

Art Blade

nice read, mandru, something to think about.  :) Extra kudos-slap for those excursions  :-() :-X

mandru

- mandru

PZ

Yes indeed - very interesting read - I had no idea.  I guess I should read more of the content available in the game.  :-X

I've now played a good bit of time, and am impressed - if you liked ACB, then you'll love ACR.  The fighting sequences are much better, and more varied.  The multitude of weapons you can use is also excellent.  Like in the other iterations of the game. you have a primary weapon wheel, but in this version you also have a secondary wheel from which you choose things like pistol, dart pistol, and bombs - these you can assign to the triangle button.

The Templar dens are not that difficult to breach as long as you are lucky in your approach, of you study the landscape well.  In fact, there is much that you can do if you plan well enough - that's one thing that I appreciate about the game so far.

The colorful clothing is also great eye candy - the citizens are well dressed, and quite colorful.

One thing I liked about ACB is the assassin recruiting ability - this game takes it to new heights.  I've just sent 6 of my assassins to different parts of the world to accomplish various missions which will increase their skill level as well as earn me money.  It is really cool - I activate the assassin's desk and am presented with a world map and list of cities - each one has a list of assignments that I can choose to send a recruit on.  Once I do, then I can go about my business and my assassin recruits do their jobs.  Watch it though, the map indicates the probability of success, and sometimes your recruit can fail and die.

So far, I'm really liking the game, and despite the fact that I don't like the music as much, it is a bit more fun - especially because there are far fewer "dead ends" when you are running the streets.

Art Blade

Dead end -- that was a choice expression given we're talking about an assassin's game.  :-D

mandru

???

My wife spotted me watching that good AC:R walk through series that PZ has pointed us towards on another thread and asked about it.  I mentioned AC:R was already released for PS3 but the PC version was due to be released in a few days on 11-29-11 with some interesting extras to come in the preordered signature edition.

I went on to say that I was sure if I waited for four or five years the entire four games of the AC series would become available as a box set and the prices would drop significantly when it cooled off...   ::)

Things quickly developed into this type of hammerlock situation again.

[smg id="2661" align=center width=600]
*(again) Picture courtesy of http://gnarlmaster.tripod.com as I think it would be a good idea to give credit to anyone teaching this kind of stuff.   :o

She pointed out:

• There's only two games that I play on my gaming computer FC2 and AC2.
  • It bugs her when I mention a new game is out and she says "Lets get it" I always deflect it with "I don't need it, I'm happy with what I have."
  • It's been a year since I let her get me AC2 and it's about time I get a new game if only to freshen up my discussion of what I'm discovering as I play.
I could see she had several more points so I quickly conceded and resigned myself to getting a new game.   ???? (with an internalized  :-D  :-X)

We went to GameStop today.  The cash registers were at the back and the line reached the front door.   :o  Eventually reaching the clerk who it turned out to be slightly younger than me.  :)

I said "I want to preorder the signature edition of AC:R..." where upon the clerk cut me off by jumping in and saying "You can pick up one of those today"

"For PC."

"Oh!... You know, by looking at you I should have known that. "  **I'm still trying to figure out what he meant by that.   ????  ** 

None the less AC:R is prepaid and I'll be getting a phone call in a few days when it's available for pick up.  I'll finally get a chance to start discussing a game a little closer to it's still being topical for a change.   :)
- mandru

Art Blade

Quote from: mandru  on November 19, 2011, 10:21:29 PM"Oh!... You know, by looking at you I should have known that. "  **I'm still trying to figure out what he meant by that.   ????  **

He meant that you looked like a frickin' nerd and not like a console kiddie (unlike spaceboy  :-D )

mandru

\:/  Why that...    ????  ...but then, well...     :(    ...Yeah.  It's true.     :'(

I'll just have to console myself with the game when it gets here. :) :-X
- mandru

Art Blade

what an interesting choice of words, to "console" yourself (the computer nerd)  ???  :-()

And don't get it wrong, you're still the same guy we all like, we don't care about your nerd appearance  :-D

Note to self: s#!t I really should learn when to shut up.

Tags:
🡱 🡳