Assassins Creed 2 - ending explained

Started by JRD, January 25, 2012, 01:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Did the truth movie help shape your thoughts on the history of the events?  i.e., is it worth solving all the glyphs and watching the movie?

mandru

Actually the information contained in the glyphs is a lot richer resource towards the series background story and history than the completed "Truth" movie in and of itself.

Remember that it was subject #16 who selectively composed from his Animus experiences the content to pass along and reveal what he felt was important concepts to any "right person" who came along behind him.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

I'm playing the main story line of ACB right now, but interspersing those sessions with visits to AC2 to do side missions and solve puzzles.  It is kind of interesting to keep current in both at the same time.

Also interesting is that the level of skill needed to do your activities proficiently in ACR is both higher and yet at the same time a bit easier.  For example, the movement mechanics in AC2 are awful when compared to ACR - in the latter I can move so much more precisely, whereas in AC2 I feel like a drunkard trying to escape zombies.

On the flip side, now in ACB, the skills I learned in ACR has changed the way I do business in Roma - much more efficient I might add.  Doing the Borgia towers is a piece of cake compared to ACR Templar lairs.  :-()

JRD

Quote from: PZ on February 03, 2012, 11:30:51 AM
Did the truth movie help shape your thoughts on the history of the events?  i.e., is it worth solving all the glyphs and watching the movie?

Spoiler

;)

@ mandru

Very interesting read. A split First Civ with sides pro and against slavery! They created humans to be their slaves but with time, part of them started to question the right to slave a self aware, counscious species like Mankind. The against-slavery faction helped Adam and Eve escape carrying a PoE as a gift from Gods so they could be able to carry on with their lives with power to evolve and survive.

It can be that even the first Human civilization that developed from Adam and Eve had their share of splitting. Some were poisoned by the power of the PoE (or AoE) hence trying to resume the slavery routine while another part fought against slavery hence hiding the artifacts

Another thing I can gather from the ending of AC:R is that the PoE Altair had is a different PoE that Ezio is protecting. A third one apparently was destroyed when Abstergo had an incident with the satellite.
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

mandru

An interesting note to add to JRD's spoiler:

Spoiler
JRD, at the 0:32 sec mark of the video you posted there is a figure dressed much like the garments worn by Minerva during the reveal at the end of AC:2

The figure in the clip is facing away from Adam and Eve's position holding an PoE apple in their right hand and overseeing a group of humans fabricating and constructing some product.  It goes by very fast and I had to look at it many times to gather enough information to make out the shape of the FC against the dark background.

I've read arguments on another forum that the figure is Minerva but I haven't seen enough evidence of that to form an opinion one way or another.
- mandru

JRD

I saw that but that's so fast... just a glimpse of a figure in the shadows... too quick to form any idea indeed!

I just watched the ending of AC2 again! In the video, at 2:13 approximately, Minerva clearly says "your kind betrayed us" ... so it goes with the idea of Adam and Eve stealing a PoE and having the FC or, at least, part of them, considering Humans as not worthy of respect....

Assassins Creed 2 Ending - 1080P

fragger

Sorry to interrupt - just sticking my head in to say there's a newbie to the creed at 6 o'clock :-X

None of the local shops I went to yesterday had any copies of AC2 in stock, but I found a brand newie (and a cheapie) on ebay Oz. Same seller I scored Tomb Raiders Legend and Anniversary from and it's been very reliable in the past, so I expect to get the game in a few days. I'm looking forward to knowing what in the world you guys are on about - well, after I've played some...

PZ

Excellent, fragger!  Looking forward to your opinions on the game and the story line  ;)

JRD

That's good news, mate!

Take your time and enjoy Renaissance Italy... you have a lot to see and do in this game and I'm quite sure you'll get Brotherhood and Revelation when the time comes... it's a great saga and full of things to spend your time with!

Also a lot to read around OWG!!  ;D

JRD

Found a transcription of what Minerva says to Ezio in the end of AC2  8)

*************************************************************************************

(After entering The Vault, and walking to the back of the chamber)

Minerva: (to Ezio) Greetings, prophet. It is good you have come. Let us see it. To give thanks.

(Ezio shows the Apple of Eden to Minerva, who 'scans' it)

Minerva: (to Desmond) We must speak.
    Ezio: Who are you?
    Minerva: (to Ezio) Many names. When I died, it was Minerva. Before that Merva, and Mera. And on and on. The others, too: Juno, who was before called Uni; Jupiter, who was before called Tinia.
    Ezio: You are... gods.
    Minerva: (laughs) No. Not gods. We simply came... before. Even when we walked the world, your kind struggled to understand our existence. We were more... advanced in time. Your minds were not yet ready. (turns to camera/Desmond) Still not, maybe never. No matter. You may not comprehend us. But you will comprehend our warning. You must.
    Ezio: None of what you are saying makes sense.
    Minerva: (to Ezio) Our words are not meant for you.
    Ezio: What are you talking about? There is no one else here!
    Minerva: Enough! I do not wish to speak with you, but through you. You are the prophet. You've played your part. You anchor him, but please be silent! That we may commune.
    Minerva: (to Desmond) Listen. When we were still flesh, and our homes still whole, your kind betrayed us. We who made you. We who gave you life! We were strong. But you were many. And both of us craved war. So busy were we with earthly concerns, we failed to notice the heavens. And by the time we did... the world burned and naught remained but ash. It should have ended then and there. But we built you in our own image. We built you to survive. And so you did. Few were our numbers. Your kind and mine. It took sacrifice. Strength. Compassion. But we rebuilt. And as life returned to the world... We endeavored to ensure this tragedy would not be repeated.
    But now we are dying. And time will w@&k against us. Truth turned into myth and legend. What we build, misunderstood. Let my words preserve the message and make a record of our loss. But let my words also bring hope. You must find the other temples. Built by those who knew to turn away from war. They worked to protect us - to save us from the fire. If you can find them... If their w@&k can be saved... so too might this world. Be quick, for time grows short. And guard against the Cross, for there are many who will stand in your way.
    It is done. The message is delivered. We are gone from this world. All of us. We can do no more. The rest is up to you, Desmond.
    Ezio: What? Who is Desmond? I don't understand! Please, wait! I have so many questions!

(Minerva disappears)

Desmond: What. The. f@#k?

*************************************************************************************

PZ

"You must find the other temples" is an interesting phrase.  The temple at the end of ACB is likely one of them, but how about ACR? ... Altair's library?  When you take all the conversation in context, it seems like there should be more.

JRD

I'd say Temple of Solomon, in Jerusalem, where Altair intercepts Robert de Sable in AC1, is one, The Vatican, where Ezio finds another artifact he uses with the AoE to open the vault is another one. Then the Colosseum, where Ezio hids the AoE another one, The Library in Masyaf another... the Templars had another AoE, destroyed in the satellite incident, so they found yet another temple...

PZ

ah yes... those sound reasonable; now I recall them all once you mentioned them.  :-X

mandru

I'm not sure there will be any more searching for locations in the next game.

On hidden temples:

Spoiler

Jupiter does speak of the hidden locations but in the encounter with him at the end of AC:R he says "Each vault's knowledge was transmitted to a single place" and he points at an illuminated spot in N.E. part of the North American continent on a globe of the earth.

Assassin's Creed Revelations - Walkthrough SERIES FINALE [ENDING] Credits Let's Play HD

16:46 is the precise point of that passage from the script in this video.  I really like how this moment in the video shifts and becomes a good live action shot of the trio Jupiter, Juno and Minerva.

With Jupiter's comment that "knowledge was transmitted" there might still be a mad dash to hit all those other locations and actually turn the machinery on.   ;)

- mandru

PZ

Of course it is possible that some of the information is not intended to be an indicator of what is to come.  Only time will tell - the next installment should be interesting.

Watching the video does make me want to get back into the game  >:D

fragger

Just interrupting again (a buttinski, aren't I? ;D) AC2 was waiting for me when I got home from w@&k today. I had a long hard one (workday, that is) so I'm a little too much on the knackered side to get into the game right now, but I have a rostered day off tomorrow and I'm hoping the weather stinks so I can have an excuse to get comfortably ensconced and just game it up all day.

I've kind of run out of steam with Tomb Raider lately so I'm going to hang up my khaki shorts for the time being and just go and - well, I guess, among other things - assass :-()

mandru

:-X  I think you'll enjoy it fragger.
- mandru

JRD

That's great fragger!  :-X

You're gonna enjoy it a lot! It might be a bit overwhelming at first because you have so many things to learn and discover in Assassins Creed but with time you will see why we love this game so much.

I had played AC1 when I got AC2, so I was familiar with basic movements and how to interact with the world and yet I had to struggle with all new weapons, monetary system, blending etc... but damn, that was fun!  8)

PZ

Looking forward to your impressions, fragger!  :-X

fragger

Grr... I still haven't gotten to it yet because of pesky real-life type stuff getting in the way.

Like the line in that Matchbox 20 song: "I wish the real world would just stop hassling me..." Amen, brothers.

Need game, must game, want game...

PZ

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

Funny you should say "All in good time"...

I've been trying to install the game this morning and it's becoming a headache. I got through the installation part, then had to wait about half an hour for updates to download, patches to run, etc. But that's OK, it's par for the course these days and I can live with it. But then I got to the registration part, and that's when my head began to throb...

First I was asked to login to Ubisoft. I tried to create an account, only to be told that my email address was already in use. What the - !? Oh... my bad... I'd completely forgotten that I'd set up an account with them years before when I got FC2. I couldn't remember my username or password after all this time and I tried a bunch of ones that I've used for various things in the past but none of them worked, so this necessitated a password reset request from Ubi. I got through all that and restarted the game to get the rego window back up and successfully logged in. Next I was asked to provide the DVD key code from the sticker inside the game case when prompted. I did that and a message came back saying: "BINDING FAILED - This key has been used already". WTF? It's a brand new game from a commercial supplier! I rechecked the code and re-entered it three times with the same result each time. There was a button in the window which would allow me to purchase a new key online. Not that I should have to, but I clicked on it anyway just to see how much I'd be hit up for and got the good old "404" error - no such page exists :D

So at this point I've lodged a support request with Ubi and I'll see how it goes.

Geez, all I want to do is play...

PZ

Wow - sorry to hear all those problems fragger - it is a sign of the times I guess - online banking sometimes seems to be easier than logging into your own machine to play a video game.

fragger

Cheers mate :)

I've been on to the supplier and they have assured me that the game I bought was brand new, so assuming they're telling the truth I can only conclude that the fault lies at Ubisoft's end. I let Ubi know in my support request that I'm willing to pay for a new key to be provided (as long as it doesn't cost me more than the game did) but I haven't heard a peep out of them yet.

Possibly it has something to do with me having to reset my Ubi password after the install but before the key request, but I really don't see how that would affect things considering that I didn't change my username or email address, just my password, and I hadn't logged on with them at all until I was asked to do so after the installation was complete.

Tags:
🡱 🡳