Strange day... once funny and once perplexing...

Started by PZ, March 14, 2009, 01:23:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

Quote from: KingRat on June 08, 2009, 12:13:41 PM
On my way to the NE bus I released a buddy from Seidko and the 'mission accomplished' pops up? Didn't give it much thought and caught the bus. Getting off the bus the 'escape your attackers' message pops up? WTH? I'm already outside the boundry, take a step and 'you made it', check map and no target shows?
Ok, back on bus to same tower, get popup that says accepting will cancel previous mission, What mission? So I accept and get the same target which I finally complete :)

I think that when you free a buddy from a place without being asked to do so it also counts as a mission. I just set Xanyong free cos I missed a rescue ready buddy and got the "mission accomplished" message. Since you were on a assassination mission, it canceled it when the message poped up, thus, you had to come back and get the target again.
In that case, I don't think its a glitch, only superimposed missions.

As for getting into Pala or Port Selao and being shot at sight, happened to me once, with no apparent reason... thats a glitch imo. Being ambushed in a safe house too!!
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

RedRaven

pretty sure it was ArtBlade who posted about playing about with the mercs in cease-fire areas, and how they back off if you aim a weapon at them. So there am i walking round Pala pushing guards back, and generally being a bully, when i've had enough set of toward bus stop, aim at a merc to make him move out my way, He curses me, raises his own gun (Homeland - 37) then

BANG
Fires point-blank hitting chest and face !!!
Reload !!!
straight to bus stop this time and got him in back of neck with SVD before escaping on a bus.  ;D

Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

JRD

I created a new topic about the Jackal tapes here, if you don't mind  ;)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

Odd thing this morning - was on a mission to kill Seth Uniya for Nasreen and everything progressed normally.  Mission accomplished and my history with Nasreen increased.  On the way back to Port Selao, I received a phone call from Nasreen: "I'm surrounded, please come and help... no wait... don't.." [click]

Odd phone call, I thought, so when I checked my stats, Nasreen was no longer my best buddy, but was not dead - presumed missing I suppose.  Never had this one happen before.

DKM2

"A living thing seeks above all to discharge its strength--life itself is will to power..."

Art Blade

LOL!

and yes, odd, that. Can't recall I had something like that happen  :o
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

KingRat

Quote from: DKM2 on June 12, 2009, 07:47:04 AM
Wimen!

Yea, sounds like PZ left her at the airfield to fend for herself  ;)

Art Blade

for some reason that made me think of his wife...  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Quote from: KingRat on June 12, 2009, 06:29:30 PM
Yea, sounds like PZ left her at the airfield to fend for herself  ;)

lol, I didn't leave her!  ;D - she was kneeling on the ground cleaning her rifle and told me that she was going to check for weapons and I should leave, which I did.  ;)

PZ

Another strange morning of play:

Was working on the flood the mine mission and was at the GP across the gorge from the pipeline.  There were two mercs (as always), the sniper and a guard.  Sneaking in with the 6P9 ready, I hit the guard in the head while he was standing on the roofed platform above the platform where the GL is located.  Imagine my surprise when I fired the single shot perfectly to the merc's head and heard the snapping crack of wood.  The entire roof collapsed onto the poor guy leaving only the partial support posts standing.  Sounded exactly like the Goka bridge collapse, except that this was a building.  This was a first for me.

Dweller_Benthos

I've collapsed the roof of things before, but not with a single pistol shot, usually takes a grenade. Unless you hit the secret "sweet spot" lol.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

fragger

I've been reading all the posts about buddies turning on you. This finally happened to me at the Oasis, when I went to tag the gold. I was down the hole and heard the shooting start, so came back up ready to do my bit, only to have Flora open up on me along with the rest of the dirtbags! At first I thought I was just in her line of fire so I scooted to one side, but no, she was definitely gunning for me (while the mercs were gunning for both of us - silly girl). So what else could I do, I gave her her comeuppance. One less to bother me at the LZ later!
I'm no wiser as anyone else as to why this happens.
Also saw something I haven't seen before. Later on at Mokuba I got badly mauled and needed rescuing. Paul showed up to rescue me, and off we hobbled. I blacked out for a sec, when I could see again, a merc had gotten too close and instead of shooting him, Paul was bashing him up - one thump to the stomach, then a smack across the skull! Excellent!
This game is just full of surprises.

PZ

Yeah, I don't believe anyone has come up with a good explanation of why that happens other than a glitch in the AI of the buddy system.  I recall the few times this happened to me - my rescue buddies would drag me to safety only to open up on me - shocked the heck out of me the first time it happened.  Reloaded my last save, and it happened again!  Another reload, and I was ready for him this time - gunned him down as soon as I has healed myself.  Fortunately they are not so tough as at the LZ.

That's a great story on Paul - I've not seen that one before  :-X

Art Blade

Luckily, never happened to me so far, but I have no idea what might cause that behaviour.

Something strange happened to me. Funny for those who like Frank, perhaps. Well.. I did kill every buddy as soon as possible, not taking on any side mission. Had to spare Michele in Pala, who just did not volunteer either for a best nor rescue buddy job, so I could not kill her.

In Bowa I killed them almost as quickly but decided to "keep" one best buddy for some of the alternate main missions (they are just so great I didn't want to miss them) and wanted to finish him off when I didn't need him any more. For some reason Frank never volunteered for any of those buddy-jobs either.

Endgame. Bloody hell, I couldn't kill the current best buddy in prison! The cell is cease-fire and mysteriously strips you of your weapons, and from the prison yard you can shoot but not kill him through the grid on the floor. I saw blood spurt out of my buddy but he didn't care (hard-boiled bastards as they are hehe).

Now, I was left with Frank, Michele and I guess Hakim? I forgot <chortle>. That Frank-git never showed up but at Mike's! He was on my list, spent his days drinking and that's that. Believe me, he did NOT show up at the landing zone! I had Michele and Hakim and spent like 15 minutes looking for Frank. When I left the LZ, the screen did tilt for an instant (repeatable, tested it) but then I could trudge on to meet Mr Armsdealer.

When the game was moments away from finishing, I checked my buddy list. Frank the sole survivor... Strange, and funny, too. Alcohol preserves him well, apparently.  :)

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on August 09, 2009, 07:18:59 AM
... Alcohol preserves him well, apparently.  :)

hahaha, that's a good one - and I know a few other well-preserved old farts ;)

retiredgord

I wonder who PZ is referring to?  (Aside) Honey, pass my bottle of rye and the LARGE glass. Thanks, now a half a glass of water and some ice.  Now for a little drink.   lol
The sun is over the yardarm somewhere in the world..time for a beer :)  :)

Art Blade

PZ

Funny moment this morning - Josip was giving me instructions to pick up a ledger from the police chief's brother when he emitted a large, loud beer burp in the middle of his sentence - never heard that one before!

Art Blade

PZ

lol, or from Ricamundo!   ;D

Sorry Ricamundo, I couldn't resist.  ;)

Foghorn Leghorn

I've got a new "strange" one.

There's an arms truck that I've been asked to remove - it's doing it's circle not far from The Outpost.  All of a sudden the circle stops, so I'm thinking "uh-oh....car trouble or something".  So I walk over slowly, wanting to pop it from afar (I'm Andre, and armed with an AS-50, Eagle 50, and Carl rocket launcher - figured I'd try a long distance thing with this one).  I get to the scene and look around with my scope - EVERYONE'S DEAD!!!  I counted 5 dead bodies and nobody standing (I thought for a second that I was in multi-player and one of you guys cleared them out!).

So then I remember PZ talking about being able to drive the truck, and decide "what the hell".  I haven't used a bullet or thrown anything yet....I have an idea.  I get in and drive the truck back to the gun shop in the NE.  The guy in the shop looked at me with a "what the $%^& do you want me to do with it???" look, so it hit me - let the guard sentry with the GL make this such that I don't have to lift a finger.  I park the truck in the middle of the road and wait.  The sentry arrives and I position myself and goad them until they finally fire and...."mission accomplished"!

I'm sitting there beaming, when all of a sudden it gets dark....and either the sentry truck or the arms truck (couldn't tell as it happened so fast) lands on my head after being airborne in the explosion, and Nasreen has to rescue me.  I'm not sure, but I think I saw her roll her eyes and utter "Men!"....   :-[

retiredgord

Harr har har..what a Kodak moment that picture makes. Darking sky and then having to be rescued by  Nasreen. It kinda makes you NOT WANT TO GO BACK INTO MIKE's.
The sun is over the yardarm somewhere in the world..time for a beer :)  :)

Art Blade

hehehe, darkening skies... nice one :) Reminds me of JRD's moment of "Oh no, it is not going to... yes, it is."  ;D ;D ;D

PZ

Great story Foghorn Leghorn,
Funny how fate treats us in games (almost like in real life).  Here you are, get a mission accomplished without firing a single shot, and fate steps in to teach you a lesson!  ;D

Art Blade

The lesson would be "even if you don't do a thing, at least appear to be doing something"  ;D ;D

Tags:
🡱 🡳