3D gaming monitor

Started by PZ, April 28, 2009, 02:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DKM2

Quote from: PZ on July 21, 2009, 10:42:11 AM
I read somewhere that the nvidia 295 is basically two 265's packaged together - don't know it it's true or not though.

its basically a SLI solution built into a single card, its a little
cheaper than buying 2 cards and configuring it yourself.
"A living thing seeks above all to discharge its strength--life itself is will to power..."

RedRaven

did a bit of research into the whole SLI thing when upgraded my GPU, came across some very different opinions on its use / level of improvement. some sources said only approx 20% improvement, but some said as high as 80%.

so went along to my local independent PC shop, asked for his opinion, trust what he says cos been getting hard/software from him for about 8 years and so far he has never let me down, anyway - he said the nvidia 9800 would almost double my graphics performance, where-as using 2 nvidia 7600 set up with SLI will only gain approx 40-50%, and after looking into costs it was only a little more for me to replace card instead of SLI option.

thats my experience with it all anyhow, dont know about ATI cards as have always found nvidia to be better/more stable (IMO and with rest of hardware anyway)

my advice to any one thinking of SLI is read all you can find about the Motherboard and GPU models you have or intend to get, as it would be a terrible shame to get it all set up only to find you've paid more for less perfomance.

if anyone has an SLI set up that does all its supposed to do it would be great and no doubt very useful if you could post a list of MB / CPU / GPU and OS used, or if you know any bad combinations thats good info too. cheers
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

JRD

Quote from: dke58 on July 22, 2009, 08:06:13 AM
if anyone has an SLI set up that does all its supposed to do it would be great and no doubt very useful if you could post a list of MB / CPU / GPU and OS used, or if you know any bad combinations thats good info too. cheers

I'll second that  :-X

We had a conversation about PC talk here but it would be great to have something more specific about potential troubleshooting or something like that in a specific post in the Off Topic section...
,,, so if anyone is thinking about dke58's suggestion, feel free to do so.
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

I didn't realize exactly what the Nvidia 295 was until DKM2 mentioned that it is SLI of two other video cards.  As to performance, I can play FC2 maxed out on the wide screen monitor while having a movie playing on the second monitor and nothing appears to slow down in the movie or FC2.

I agree about the hardware thread - would be nice to have advice from experienced hardware folks as well as practical opinions from those using specific hardware.  This will be increasingly important as newer games come out that tax our systems even more.  :-X

RedRaven

just realised that i actually started a Hardware Discussion thread, its here  FC2:Questions Hardware discussion
hopefully ArtBlade should be able to move it into Off topic where guess i could of put it to start with...its always good to get useful tips from End Users rather than sales people.
looking back i started it askin for advice from OWG members.
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Art Blade

Quote from: dke58 on July 22, 2009, 10:03:22 AMhopefully ArtBlade should be able to move it into Off topic

Done  ;)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Tags:
🡱 🡳