Netbooks and using keyboard shortcuts...

Started by PZ, July 19, 2009, 07:32:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Although I normally use a regular PC to visit OWG, I recently purchased a netbook (one of the tiny laptops designed for Internet browsing).  It is actually much better than I thought it would be: less that 3 pounds, 6 hour battery, and fits into the pocket of my coat (albeit with large pockets).  The downside is that it has only a 10.1 inch diagonal wide screen so the vertical screen real estate is rather limited.  Consequently, I started using the "alt-s" shortcut to post, and it works great - makes posting much faster.

Art Blade

hehehe, I think you managed it well last night - chicken drum sticks, margarita and wine, chat and post, all on the back deck. Sounds like the perfect companion for outdoor activities ;)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

lol, you're correct - it sure was a pleasant evening.  The wireless signal on the deck is rather weak though - I have a cheap wireless router that I'm planning to convert to a dd-wrt  router - basically a freeware solution to turn that $60 router into a $600 unit.  While the standard router has an output signal of 28, you're supposed to be able to increase the strength to over 100.  Additionally, I should be able to use a second router as a wireless repeater.  Should be an interesting experiment.

RedRaven

micro-laptops are ace, on one right now, good being able to hold it in one hand and use it with the other and so very mobile, most even fit in side pocket of combat-style trousers (or pants ?) :-X
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

spaceboy

good to hear the positive feedback on those.  I've been thinking we could use one for getting online up in the kitchen instead of having to come to the basement or bootup my w@&k laptop.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

PZ

My wife likes mine so much that she now wants one - mine is an HP Mini, and am looking at an ASUS Eee PC becaise it has a 10.5 hour battery, and is on sale at Amazon for $349.  Here are the specs for anyone interested.

RedRaven

got the ASUS 901, and was stunned at the 6 hour battery life, 10 is incredible, 901 has pretty much same CPU and RAM but only got 8GB drive (got 2 external 1TB units so use them instead) mine runs XP really really well, and its so quiet too.

40 years ago man landed on the moon, its facinating to consider how much computers have advanced, and also how intrinsic they have become to so many peoples lives, even if they dont own one so much of the western world is involved in one or more computer systems (money, utilities, air travel, etc, etc)

now humanity needs to get its arse back into orbit and push outward.
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

JRD

... and computers on the ISS are less powerful than your pocket calculator  ;)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

funny, I was thinking in the same direction... like, some space pods are out there for almost fourty years, yet their computers still w@&k. They couldn't afford a blue screen... ;)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

Which means that THEY CAN make those $%#*&@(&$# machines w@&k properly  >:(

... I'm trying to format a text right now and man... these tasks are annoying sometimes  ???

spaceboy

right.  On a smaller scale, even with the added functions etc. with a program like Excel - it's still basically the same program as 10 years ago.  But now we have 4GB of memory and whatever Ghz processors and it still takes the same amount of time to open the program or a spreadsheet.  I mean it should take no time at all to open a 30Mb spreadsheet with 4GB of memory but yet,  alas the hourglass is still there...

I figure it's just sloppy programming not utilizing the available resources optimally - but that's my opinion.  Any programmers or more computer savvy folks feel free to prove me wrong - I'd love a better explanation.

RedRaven

Totally - the most basic Mobile phone has more processing capabilities than Hubble - but hubble still works!

well i guess at the Technocracy AGM it goes along the line of -
1st Suit - "Our guys in R&D have perfected a unit the size of a zippo lighter that can run all a continents Trains, Power stations, Air traffic, Road traffic lights and its A.I. capabilities can better balance the whole Land, Energy, Food distrobution issues faced by almost every country in one way or another"

all sat round the table pat themselves on the back and out come the Cigars and Liquors that heal cancers.

2nd Suit stands up - "so, we cant release it or put it into use as it is , proposition is to retro-engineer around 200+ 'stop-gap' devices, making sure after a short time in use they deteriate and that alone should keep us at the top of the pyramid for a good 4-5 generations as we continue to keep the other 99.99% of the populace Earth bound, Powerless and continuing to think they are a 'Progressive' species.

thats enough, started to rant again - good to get it out tho. breakfast time now. Then think will pick up a real, actual book instead of reading articles on the net! even my Hypocrisy has some limits.

Wow, that feels better having a good old cynical rant!!!
The Powers that Be are more than capable of resolving many issues faced across the globe that in some way diminish or just straight up Endanger the rest of us.
E.g. many impoverished african states have almost year round sunlight, but instead of supplying them with solar panels to "farm" its energy to trade with the northern hemisphere, we build Nuclear power plants that cause untold problems now and far far into our kids, kids,kids great-grand kids future (at least 2 have F&%$£D up so far - Chernobyl and Three Mile Island, as well as smaller scale problems at several others) AND as if thats not enough  FarCry2 is NOT pure fiction, after European states collectively raped and plundered what they wanted from the land it seems every effort was made to ensure plenty of weapons along with the stupidity to keep using them was deeply planted into the nations collective mindset, tactically pretty clever - march in, kill and steal as much as possible then turn the populace against itself so they dont come after you.

JRD

It must be the post counting... he just turned Predecessor and probably got carried away...  ???

Kidding......
Now I understand what you said in the shout box  ;)
And agree that it has much truth in its core.

spaceboy

I agree it is a sad state of affairs and I think your remarks are on the spot, dke58.

PZ

Truly - I enjoyed reading about your opinions and thoughts dke58  :-X

Art Blade

refreshing and alarmingly close to the truth  :-X

RedRaven

cheers, will try not to rant like that too often!
  when, it rises again (and it will at some point)
probably have to start a "Rant Post" in off topic
section so dont ruin & de-rail anyones post ::)

PZ

Rant thread... not a bad idea when one of us needs to vent!  (However, as always, flaming not allowed!)   ;)

RedRaven

totally, and in no way intended my rant to be taken as such.
(had to look up 'flaming' as was unsure of its meaning) and in doing so realise that some may view my rants as such.

haha learned something new today thanks to OWG

PZ

Well, I personally don't mind reading people's opinions at all.  In fact, I can relate to, and appreciate the comments that you (and most of the members of OWG) have made.  Keep up the discussions, boys - good for the soul.  :-X

Tags:
🡱 🡳