Feel the bullets - gaming vest

Started by PZ, April 23, 2010, 10:58:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Here's something that I never knew existed - a vest that you wear that allows you to feel the bullet and explosion impacts.  Evidently over 40 games are supported and one of them is Far Cry 2  ;D

Gaming vest information

JRD

Very impressive...

I can imagine a vest like that, a visor/headset, the NATAL system and a gun in your hands  8)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

Indeed - talk about immersion  ;)

Dweller_Benthos

I don't know, last night in FC2 I did an ooops where I was shooting the grenade launcher at a passing truck and didn't notice the wankin' huge tree between me & them. It was right in front of me and I shot a grenade at it point blank.... HAHAHAHHA   OOOOPPSSS

BOOOOOOOMMMMMMM

Just the sound from the 5.1 speakers was enough to knock me back in my seat, dropped my health from 100% down to about 10% LOL. With that vest on, I don't think I would still be alive, hehe
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

spaceboy

uh yeah - major calibration levels needed for something like that DB.  I have to admit I'd probably like it, but I could not actually see buying it.  Sure would like to try it out though!
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Art Blade

Hehe, I like D_B's post, but seriously, wearing that vest is beyond my imagination. I think gaming is fun, but experiencing what it is like to be shot at... thanks, but no thanks. Go join the army, if you like that.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

spaceboy

Quote from: Art Blade on April 23, 2010, 01:26:10 PM
Hehe, I like D_B's post, but seriously, wearing that vest is beyond my imagination. I think gaming is fun, but experiencing what it is like to be shot at... thanks, but no thanks. Go join the army, if you like that.

I admit its taking it quite a big step further, but I do really like the rumble effect on the PS3 controllers.  The rumble of a tank, the blast of a flak cannon, bullets, falls, etc.  It does really add to the immersion for me.

Art Blade

;D

I'd like to see the next step, the FBI Gear (Full Body Impact). Or SWAT (Sensational War Anxiety Trap) that may look like a full-blown scuba gear and all.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

Hahaha ;D

I'd like to try out that vest just out of curiosity, but I think I'd feel silly sitting there wearing what looks like police body armour - especially if I had to get up and answer a knock at the door, and it was a delivery person... They might conclude that there was a B&D session going on inside :-[

Art Blade

No, you open the door and shout "NAME AND REGISTRATION, PLEASE!"  ;D

GPFontaine

I would actually prefer to wear a vest or jacket that offered force feedback.

I think something like that would go a long way to allow for faster responses.  Visual queues are necessary because audio perception is fairly weak and there are no other senses used when gaming.

The sense of touch, taste, and smell are omitted from games and therefore we can't react as we would in a real scenario.  I am not suggesting that games should be measured one to one with reality, but adding an additional sense to them would be welcomed by me.

A perfect example of how this type of thing can be successful is the Wii Sports games where wrist motion is accounted for.  Adding the sense of touch really makes the game a lot more fun.

RedRaven

Think I'm with Art on this one. If I wanted to feel the impact then I would go paint-balling every week and get covered in bruises.
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Art Blade

Thank you, Red. What did you say was your bank account number again? ;D

RedRaven

Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Art Blade

Stryker7

Just a thought.

If they would just make a version, full body suit, for Virtual Sex they could perfect the technology then .....

After they make a mint perfecting it for sex, us gamers would be able to get it even cheaper. ;)

I just couldnt resist.  :)

Art Blade

You PIG!

well, I had the same thoughts, though  ;D

Stryker7

Quote from: Art Blade on July 27, 2010, 01:45:27 AM
You PIG!

well, I had the same thoughts, though  ;D

OINK OINK OINK, guilty as charged.  ;)

Art Blade

spaceboy

so true Stryker, but the lack of a secondary market for those things will halt the growth of the technology.  I know I ain't buying one used  :o

- I was referring to the original non-gaming version, but come to think of it, I don't want a used gaming one either....yech!

Art Blade

PZ

Quote from: spaceboy on July 27, 2010, 06:33:23 AM
... buying one used  :o

- I was referring to the original non-gaming version, but come to think of it, I don't want a used gaming one either....yech!
Disgusting!   ;D ;D ;D

fragger

LOL all ;D ;D ;D

A V.S. suit would be OK for a while, but then it'd start getting virtual headaches, whinging because you roll over and go to sleep straight afterwards, and pestering you for a serious commitment

PZ

Tags:
🡱 🡳