Lag due to FRAPS

Started by JRD, April 18, 2009, 11:33:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

When I want to play a session and be prepared to make a vid out of a nice attack, I start FRAPS and then play FC2, if if I don't know what I'm gonna do, I just want to to be ready to record any happening.
I realized that while FRAPS is active but not recording, I have a lag of about half second. If I let go the controls, my character keep moving. If FRAPS is recording, the lag is even longer.
I just posted a vid of a mission for Hakim at the pipeline. Man It took me a few tries to do it right as the lag was seriously interferring in my gameplay!!
Does anybody noticed that too?
Am I doing something wrong here?
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

I never used FRAPS but I remember people who do reporting the same issues.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

Well... at least I think my system specs are OK. That would be a real trouble!
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

MadCat1968

Quote from: JRD on April 18, 2009, 11:33:00 AM
When I want to play a session and be prepared to make a vid out of a nice attack, I start FRAPS and then play FC2, if if I don't know what I'm gonna do, I just want to to be ready to record any happening.
I realized that while FRAPS is active but not recording, I have a lag of about half second. If I let go the controls, my character keep moving. If FRAPS is recording, the lag is even longer.
I just posted a vid of a mission for Hakim at the pipeline. Man It took me a few tries to do it right as the lag was seriously interferring in my gameplay!!
Does anybody noticed that too?
Am I doing something wrong here?

I think it has something to do with Fraps being disk intense when recording. To my knowledge, the video is stored in uncompressed form on disk which puts pressure on the disk subsystem. But I can't relate to why there is lag when Fraps is not recording.

I go to great length to get a trouble free experiences with games in general in how I organize the disk subsystem...

Recently, I had been having problems with audio being out-of-sync in one of my movies "Pipline Crossing", this effect was also being manifested in the movie "Dental Plan" while it was in production. So I got busy and cleaned up my system. My system is now configured this way:

Drive C:  System disk with defraged swap space.
Drive D:  Dedicated to FarCry2 installation. Do not defrag Far Cry 2 installation.
Drive J:, K:, L:, and/or M: Whole 100GB drives dedicated to video captures at my option.  Do not defrag video files - very bad for video playback performance for some reason (in my experience). Start with a clean slate periodically - delete files you don't plan to keep, offload keeper videos, then defrag.

This seemed to fix the audio-out-of-sync problem for me.

PZ

Interesting setup - I also experience audio/video sync when I rip DVDs to my hard disk - thanks for the thoughts.  As far as organizing your disks - good ideas - what I also do on new Windows installs is to create a partition specific to the os, another only for the swap file, and the bulk of the drive for data (in single drive systems).  Then move anything that would normally reside in the user's documents and settings to the data partition (a challenge with Outlook installations).  Finally, installing any programs into the data partition's programs and files  directory.  Although I'm not positive, the performance of the system seems to remain at high level without fragmentation issues on the os partition, leaves the swap partition alone, and I can defrag the data directory to clean up the eventual mess.  You more competent PC guys please correct me if I'm not thinking correctly with any of these thoughts (they make sense in my pea brain).

Any other thoughts on optimizing your system?

Tags:
🡱 🡳