JC2: Questions

Started by eor123, April 21, 2010, 11:09:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eor123

If the mods have no objections,  I'd like to start a thread for general questions about Just Cause 2.

I'd like to begin by asking if there is a maximum number of triggered explosive charges (IED's) that can be detonated? On a couple of occasions, it appears that only four of the charges I deployed detonated. In one instance I deployed six charges, two each on the building cranes in the settlement with the really tall broadcasting building. The last four I deployed detonated, but the first two didn't.

I wondered if there was a distance limitation with the detonator but in this instance I was actually closer to the two that didn't detonate. 
"Seriously...f@#k it. This place is like an airplane with the engines falling off. The pilots are too busy choking each other to see there is a problem. "  -- Marty Alencar

PZ

Spaceboy posted a video in which I believe there were at least 20 triggered explosives that were simultaneously detonated, but I have not tried that many myself.

I have however set at least 6 and had them all successfully explode.  I don't know if there is a distance limit, but I suspect that if you leave the area very far you won't be able to trigger.  I do recall successfully detonating when I was far enough away so that the sounds were muffled.

By the way, feel free to start any kind of thread you like - we're very informal here and don't mind duplicate entries.  We'd much rather see a duplicate post than no post at all.

Good idea on this thread by the way  :-X

spaceboy

There definitely is a distance limit, but I don't know about a quantity limit.  You should be able to do more than 4 though for sure.  That vid may have been a PC mod for all I know.

and as PZ said, start as many threads as you want mate!
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

PZ

It is an interesting question that begs to be answered.  I think I'll try experimenting a bit by going into one of the more crowded areas and setting charges on as many as I can, then detonate to see how many are left.

Then it would also be interesting to know how far you can go before your detonator fails - knowledge like this would help prevent sabotage failures  ;D

Art Blade

Unable to test that myself (yet) I suggest you find a rather long and straight road, pick a marker (a rock or church or some such landmark) from where to start and place explosives in an even pattern (in a row) down the road. Like that you can see the distance and make out how far the detonations go and if they all set off.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Excellent tip, Art - get the job done quick and simple

Art Blade

cheers... I'm sorry I can't supply you with tests and results (yet) but once I can, I will  :)

Quick and simple... that's always good... and in this case also rather noisy and violent, which is what we all love in a good game  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

eor123

I would experiment but those triggered explosive packs are pricey on the console.  ;D

Anyone gotten 100% of the items in an area an not gotten the "Completed" notice and the check mark?

Has happened to me twice. I suspect there may be one item out there somewhere -- like a gas station with one pump still in tact. I am searching to see if that may be the reason.

I now know to count the explosions when destroying a station with a helicopter.
"Seriously...f@#k it. This place is like an airplane with the engines falling off. The pilots are too busy choking each other to see there is a problem. "  -- Marty Alencar

PZ

Quote from: eor123 on April 22, 2010, 08:51:16 AM
Anyone gotten 100% of the items in an area an not gotten the "Completed" notice and the check mark?

Has happened to me twice. I suspect there may be one item out there somewhere -- like a gas station with one pump still in tact. I am searching to see if that may be the reason.

I can't say that I've earned 100% without the green check and the completed message appearing - sounds like a strange glitch.  Let us know if your gas station theory pans out - I'll also try it the next time I need to destroy one.

eor123

What?

Me...have a weird glitch?

Never.  ;D

eor123

Actually no glitch.

As I suspected, there was one remaining item -- on top of one of the tallest buildings in the Panau Financial District.

I flew over in the helo several times but never saw a blip on the locator device. I miss the GPS from Far Cry 2. The HUD/locator in JC2 isn't that helpful.

I have found that flying around at night and looking for the flashing boxes is a more efficient way to find the items.

So I answered my own question. You can have 100% of the items in an area and still not have it "completed." I guess they round up.  ;D

PZ

That's interesting - I've not encountered an upgrade part less than 3% or so, but perhaps I've not been to enough areas yet  ;D

I agree - flying is the best way to see the flashing.  What I do these days is use an extraction and open the chute high up so I can spiral down while looking for the telltale flashing - there are typically at least one or more on rooftops.  Then when I'm on the ground, slingshot from rooftop to rooftop checking the parts indicator in the upper left.  Using this method it is usually only a short time before I manage to find them all.  However, the places that are spread out can be a challenge, particularly if you've not noticed them while in the air.  ;)

fragger

I guess this is the place to post this, since the topic is called "Questions". Got two actually:

@PZ, I seem to recall that you are, or were, playing JC2 on both PC and console (or have I got that wrong?) If so, or if not but if anyone else is, I was just wondering how control of the game compares between the two. Which do you find is better?

I was also wondering about the name "Panau", and whether it's based on the Palau Archipelago, just east of the Philippines. From what I've seen of JC2 screenshots and photographs of Palau, they look extremely similar (although I don't think Palau has any snow-capped mountains). Does the game make any mention of where in the world Panau is supposedly located?

Incidentally, I'll be joining you guys in Panau very soon. In fact I went into town today to buy a copy but they sold the last one yesterday :D I have to wait another week or so for them to get more stock... Drat! Double drat!!

PZ

Yes, I'm playing PC and PS3 - there are advantages and disadvantages to both which are consistent in all games I have played using both.

• On Console - anything to do with flying/driving is far superior to the same function on the PC, but anything to do with aiming is inferior.  I feel like I'm moving the player's body through molasses, and am trying to aim using my feet instead of my hands.
  • On PC - trying to drive/fly makes you feel like your two hands do not know of one another's existence in comparison to the precise feel on the console.  However, the speed and precision of aiming/moving the players body is orders of magnitude better on the PC.
In short, if I had only a single platform to play on, I'd choose PC.  The graphics are much better in every game that I have both version of.  What I really lament is that software developers can't get the crisp joystick movements that is achieved with the console controller.  For me, the added value of applying cheats, trainers, and mods tips the scale toward the PC.

With that said however, my skills using the console controller is the rate limiting step for me, and I'm sure that there are those that have the skills necessary to make it a better experience than the PC.

You've an interesting observation about Panau - I can't comment, but it will be nice to hear the opinions of others.

I'm looking forward to your opinions of the game!

spaceboy

looking forward to hearing of your Panauan adventures fragger!
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

fragger

Cheers, space - so am I ;D

Thanks for the info, PZ, that was exactly what I wanted to know :-X

Art Blade

I reckon that I'll install w7 and JC2 this weekend (maybe Friday, even).

What I'd like to know is about Steam: What should I do... try to create an account with them before installing JC2 or while installing the game? And, does Steam require any data related to payments (bank account, credit card) or is that only needed when trying to actually purchase something from them?

PZ

I registered the account while I did the installation, and you do not need to enter any credit card information to create the account - only if you purchase something.  In fact, the information required is rather minimal if I recall correctly.

I hope that you'll have as much fun as I'm having!

Art Blade

thanks for the info, PZ :) And yes, I hope so, too  ;D

Art Blade

I could play the last agency mission now, but the mission description is a little ominous. Anything I should consider before taking it on?

eor123

I suggest taking some Dramamine before the final mission...and access to heavy weapons could be helpful.  ;D

Art Blade

Alright, so I should forget about the bubble gun, then, shouldn't I?  ;D

Art Blade

OK, finished... now in merc mode. That mission was cool, I liked the cutscenes, crazy stuff  ;D :-X

eor123

That little Panay dude is is one tough SOB, no?  ;D

Art Blade

It was fun to send him off on his "crotch rocket"  ;D

Tags:
🡱 🡳