Portal 2 Launch Day!!!!

Started by Binnatics, April 15, 2011, 03:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Binnatics

Oops, thought I could just put a reminder on the calendar that Portal 2 was to come out on this day. Don't know where I got myself into with this event thing. But anyway, now that I started it, let's all comment some first impressions on the first-day-play-experience.

The finiest, nicest or whatever greatest review gets 100 kredits  ;)

I'll put the max response time to 3 days, so all of us get a chance of writing something

Cheers
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

I hope you will be joining in on Portal 2 as well Art, must be a fun game to coop sometime  :-X
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

sorry no, the game idea doesn't interest me
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mmosu

I was thinking you played the first one Art . . . must be thinking of someone else  :shocked

Art Blade

Dweller_Benthos

I won't be getting it until this weekend at the earliest..... and considering there's a big Minecraft update due this week as well..... need more hours in the day, lol.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Binnatics

Well, I'll check how many competitors we have and maybe we can extend the respond time. It should be great if we all will be able to write something.  ;)

Binnatics

ooooh, Steam says: 16 hours left....

mmosu

Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy  :-()

fragger

:-D

Funny how I'm ahead of everyone else here in terms of time zones, but behind everyone else in terms of game releases... ::) That's the price I pay for living on a desert island, I guess :-()

Binnatics

Funny, these timezones differing between us. Too bad you got to wait though  :-(

Binnatics

WoOoweEEE!!!! I'm in!!!!

Just woke up, stumbled my way through to the first portal device, and realised that these wallpaintings we all know from the first Portal have seriously evolved!!! Think the painter had quite some time to practice ;)
[smg id=3201 width=500]

spaceboy

nice!  enjoy and share your thoughts on the game  :-X
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

PZ

Indeed!  There appears to be quite a bit of excitement regarding this game  :-X

spaceboy

sure is (ohboyohboyohboy!)

have you not downloaded and played the first one yet PZ?  I think Steam has it for $10.  Well well worth it.  You can get into it and join the Portal gang  ;D

PZ

I've not honestly looked at it so I probably need to.  As to download, I doubt that it would w@&k on my Internet connection!  ???

Binnatics

Who was talking about hating cans of beans again?  :)
[smg id=3203 width=400]
Guess we need quite some carbohydrates to salve this puzzle  ^-^

spaceboy

@binnatics - love that picture.  "too many variables" will be my new catch phrase I use at w@&k that nobody will know I'm secretly quoting a game.  I will chuckle inwardly to myself.  ;D

@PZ.  if you can't download it on PC, you'll have to look for the Orange Box on PS3.  It is a package that includes Half Life 2 and Team Fortress.  You can buy it cheap or rent it like I did just to play Portal.

Either way I recommend playing the first game.  It only takes a handful of hours really, but I think it's wise to do so to really appreciate P2.

PZ

Thanks space, will look for it.  :-X

Amazing graphics  ;)

mmosu

This game is sick!!!

PORTAL 2 FIRST IMPRESSIONS:
This game is so slick, so smooth, so polished, that it's going to be extremely difficult to write anything concise and to the point so that I don't drone on for pages and pages with everyone reading it losing interest somewhere in the middle.  The environment and ambience in P2 are much different than what was present in the first game:  the Aperture Science facility is now just as much jungle as it is man-made, with surprise terrain changes around every corner, doors blocked by debris, crooked hallways, and on and on.  The nonsensical architecture is reflective of the fact that GLaDOS is now creating testing chambers in real time, by actively reconfiguring the entire facility to suit her own twisted needs. 
This is all a far cry from the sterile environments of the first game, and serves to highlight the fact that, at the games opening, there is no way to tell for sure how much time has elapsed between the two titles.  The Enrichment Center has been abandoned, and the timer that kept track of how many days your body was in stasis has been stuck at 999 for who knows how long.  GLaDOS herself is no longer trying to be "helpful", but rather (upon her accidental reactivation) skips straight to the thinly veiled hostility she displayed toward the end of Portal 1 (for example, she frequently insinuates that Chell has gotten fat during her hibernation).  She immediately claims you as her prisoner, with her stated intention being that you will be made to continue testing for the rest of your life.
As you begin working your way through the dilapidated testing center once again, many strange and almost familiar sights greet you.  Several testing chambers from the first game are visited early on, but with a few different twists to make it interesting.  You also pass frequently between chambers and behind-the-scenes areas with the help of Wheatley, a bumbling personality core who is trying to help you escape from the center.  All in all, this is shaping up to be a great experience, already filled with twists, surprises, and fiendishly clever puzzles.  Stay tuned . . . 

Art Blade

sounds like it isn't necessary to play P1 to get into P2. Sounds interesting, however :)

Has the game got a screenshot function or were those taken using an external program?

spaceboy

Quote from: mmosu on April 19, 2011, 11:10:41 AM
GLaDOS herself is no longer trying to be "helpful", but rather (upon her accidental reactivation) skips straight to the thinly veiled hostility she displayed toward the end of Portal 1 (for example, she frequently insinuates that Chell has gotten fat during her hibernation).

THAT is great!  THAT is GlaDOS for you.  Perfect.  the whole quick impression sounds awesome mmosu!

@Art, I'll say while it probably isn't necessary, you'd appreciate it much better having already experienced that relationship with GLaDOS (just clikc the "remember when" quote on the soundboard to understand lol)

Binnatics

Lol, Great first impressions mmosu!!!!

I totally agree with you, this game is insane!

My "Portal 2 first impressions":
First of all, I found myself in a Hotel room, sort of. It was all nice and clean, and there was a painting on the wall. Then I had to lay down on the bed, and suddenly the room was changed like it had been abandoned for years. Funny details were the bed with a print of 'my fine body' in it, so damn slept I would have a hernia by now.
Other detail was the painting on the wall; it was really changed into some hellish landscape with a big moon in the air instead of a sunset.
Then came knocking on the door a robotic head named "Wheatley" who happens to speak just the way Art Blade does: An English accent with an enthousiastic temper and full of jokes ( happen to know that because of the long conversations we had during our Bulletstorm-time together ;) )
Like Mmosu allready told he guides you to an escape-way but by accident he awakens the big bad computer-girl from the first Portal.
The graphics are stunning: I recently started Crysis 2 and was stunned there by the graphic details, but Portal 2 really is reaching for the #1 game in graphic design. Off Course Crysis has a truckload of details and the intention to create a 'real world' where Portal 2 focusses on a more simple environment, but the screenshots I allready showed explain how beautiful the represent it.
The great Aperture testing laboratory now is shown more like one entire computer. Everything moves and collapses as the big bad brain is 'reconfiguring' the testing chambers.
There's a lot more communication in the game, and due to the realistic and spooky surroundings I really try to find myself a friend in this Wheatley-guy.

Oh, and MAN I'm still sexy  :-() :-() :-()

Edit:
Yesterday I did a great slice on the playthorugh and without giving away any clues I sure want to mention a few last thing:
The game is so realistic, that when I jump into the deep, which happens all day in these enormous laboratories, I really feel these jitters in my stomach when falling off a large ramp in a rollercoaster!!!
And then this GlaDOS with her surprizes; she really dissappointed me there.
Andoh, what might can do to a simple robot, poor friend :'(

fragger

OK, I can't stand it anymore! I'm going to have to stop reading this thread until my own game comes, or the drool is going to short out my keyboard :-D

Just joking, thanks for your thoughts thus far, chaps :) Can't wait!

Tags:
🡱 🡳